U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,341,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I remember when Lily's used to be on the west access road of Loop 410 before moving to its current location. IMO, building in their current location was a mistake. It is in a rough area and access is limited. Good food though.
Totally agree! When our daughter was home on leave from Japan (and she is Filipina) we drove around in circles trying to get there! But worth it non the less.

Know they do a good business from the base for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Totally agree! When our daughter was home on leave from Japan (and she is Filipina) we drove around in circles trying to get there! But worth it non the less.

Know they do a good business from the base for lunch.
I agree too, but their new building is sooo much better than the 2 tables they used to be able to accomodate! It is unfortunate that they are tough to get to. I'm still going, tho!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 PM

796 posts, read 2,758,155 times
My mom was a regular there at Lily's (Filipina). When she passed away suddenly two years ago, one of the sons went to my mom's rosary. I think it was Chris. I was so touched that he took the time to attend. My mom would used to walk into the store and ask him while she was in line, "Did we win yet?", referring to Lotto. LOL I have not been back since her death, it would be too hard, I do miss the pan de cocco. I am happy, I do know how to make lumpia, but I never learned how to make the sweet rice. My aunts in Dallas try to teach me, but I always forget.

Last edited by cheermomof4girls; 03-15-2008 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
My mom was a regular there at Lily's (Filipina). When she passed away suddenly two years ago, one of the sons went to my mom's rosary. I think it was Chris. I was so touched that he took the time to attend. My mom would used to walk into the store and ask him while she was in line, "Did we win yet?", referring to Lotto. LOL I have not been back since her death, it would be too hard, I do miss the pan de cocco. I am happy, I do know how to make lumpia, but I never learned how to make the sweet rice. My aunts in Dallas try to teach me, but I always forget.
Awww....we always liked Chris!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM

443 posts, read 1,359,283 times
There's another really good fil restaurant, chokdee, in universal city, near randolph base. It's a buffet, and its really good specially on weekends lunch, highly recommended by me.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,341,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Awww....we always liked Chris!
He is a great kid (alto not a kid anymore)...when we first moved here (we are neighbors) he was so kind and good to our houseful of filipina children...they felt right at home and he and the girls stay in touch as they live all over the US and Japan now.

Great kids, great work ethic and wonderful family (and food!!!)

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,477,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I think it is because the parking is in the back...they are my neighbors and I don't THINK they are closing...but will check with Chris.
Last time my wife and I visited (admittedly a few months ago), Chris said something about new management/owner, or something to that effect.
Quote:
I remember when Lily's used to be on the west access road of Loop 410 before moving to its current location. IMO, building in their current location was a mistake. It is in a rough area and access is limited. Good food though.
I agree about access, but rough? You must be joking right... it's not the glitz and glamor of La Cantera (thank god because it's over rated) but it's not even close to the East Side, figuratively speaking.

Original Poster, you might wanna try Sari-Sari off Wurzbach. They have a restaurant and connected store (I think it's owned by a military vet). My wife go every couple of weeks to buy a few groceries and have our fav dish there: Lechon Kawali and Palabok... yum-yum. There's also Filipino Express just north of Babcock off 410 Access (NW side). They do large Karaoke parties and the like.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Look what I found:

Welcome to Filipino-American Virtual Community in Texas

Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,349,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I agree about access, but rough? You must be joking right... it's not the glitz and glamor of La Cantera (thank god because it's over rated) but it's not even close to the East Side, figuratively speaking...
As far as crime goes, yes. We used to go to the Japanese food store that was near there all the time. The owner had been robbed in her store a couple of times, not to mention the hotel across the street. Take a look at the gun shop down the street. The door is locked behind you when you enter and the owner has to buzz you out, not to mention he is packing. Also, my wife's aunt lived near there until she died last year. Many houses have bars on the windows in that area and I remember seeing one house that had barbed wire on top of the fence in front. If I'm not mistaken, Lily's restaurant had graffiti on it before they opened. It's not just the East side that can be rough.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,477,292 times
Quote:
As far as crime goes, yes. We used to go to the Japanese food store that was near there all the time. The owner had been robbed in her store a couple of times, not to mention the hotel across the street. Take a look at the gun shop down the street. The door is locked behind you when you enter and the owner has to buzz you out, not to mention he is packing. Also, my wife's aunt lived near there until she died last year. Many houses have bars on the windows in that area and I remember seeing one house that had barbed wire on top of the fence in front. If I'm not mistaken, Lily's restaurant had graffiti on it before they opened. It's not just the East side that can be rough.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from and I guess everyone's interpretation of 'rough' can vary greatly. When I here rough, I think of shirtless gang bangers walking up and down the street; a liquor store on every corner; occasionally crack heads shooting smack; and a place that isn't safe to be in at night (and sometimes day) period... some of the stuff I saw growing up or traveling through neighborhoods as an adult. It certainly does not appear that way in that area, not even close imo.

Everybody gets robbed, whether it's a hotel around the corner or a bank on the NW side near Helotes. My last home was in a municipality that was highly affluent and 97% white. Guess what, businesses were still robbed and it's home to one of the state's most infamous murders. More? N. Michigan Avenue, consumerism and tourism mecca in downtown Chicago (besides Navy Pier). But if you go online to a police database that tracks crimes by beat/street corner, etc. you will see loads of crime in a two week span... theft, rape, burglary, assaults, etc.

I've been to that gun shop you speak of and I would posit a guess that they are not the only gun shop doing this simply because of the nature of the business, AND every gun owner is packing so that's not really saying much.

Practically every neighborhood that is lower middle class in San Antonio has bars on its windows and that's more than 1/2 of San Antonio at least; heck, even downtown -- bars, bars, bars. I even seem bars on older homes near the medical center. Seems to be more of a San Antonio/TX thing as I've never seen this sort of thing up north in far worse neighborhoods. More so, graffiti? Are you kidding me? This whole freakin' city (and I mean WHOLE) is tagged to some degree and certainly isn't a defining standard as to how 'safe' a neighborhood is (though admittedly it helps). Notwithstanding, I've seen far less tagging in some of the roughest parts of Chicago (Inglewood, Lawndale, former Cabrini Green, etc.) than I've seen here so the proverb 'don't judge a book by it's cover' comes to mind, though if you've read the 1st chapter; vis--vis then that's a completely different story

Last but not least I reside in a brand new subdivision near Marbach & Hunt that is ever so quiet by day and night and I jog that way from time to time at night...

my .02; not that bad. Mind you, I wouldn't live there if I could help it but... that's a different story.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 03-16-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio