U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from and I guess everyone's interpretation of 'rough' can vary greatly. When I here rough, I think of shirtless gang bangers walking up and down the street; a liquor store on every corner; occasionally crack heads shooting smack; and a place that isn't safe to be in at night (and sometimes day) period... some of the stuff I saw growing up or traveling through neighborhoods as an adult. It certainly does not appear that way in that area, not even close imo.

Everybody gets robbed, whether it's a hotel around the corner or a bank on the NW side near Helotes. My last home was in a municipality that was highly affluent and 97% white. Guess what, businesses were still robbed and it's home to one of the state's most infamous murders. More? N. Michigan Avenue, consumerism and tourism mecca in downtown Chicago (besides Navy Pier). But if you go online to a police database that tracks crimes by beat/street corner, etc. you will see loads of crime in a two week span... theft, rape, burglary, assaults, etc.

I've been to that gun shop you speak of and I would posit a guess that they are not the only gun shop doing this simply because of the nature of the business, AND every gun owner is packing so that's not really saying much.

Practically every neighborhood that is lower middle class in San Antonio has bars on its windows and that's more than 1/2 of San Antonio at least; heck, even downtown -- bars, bars, bars. I even seem bars on older homes near the medical center. Seems to be more of a San Antonio/TX thing as I've never seen this sort of thing up north in far worse neighborhoods. More so, graffiti? Are you kidding me? This whole freakin' city (and I mean WHOLE) is tagged to some degree and certainly isn't a defining standard as to how 'safe' a neighborhood is (though admittedly it helps). Notwithstanding, I've seen far less tagging in some of the roughest parts of Chicago (Inglewood, Lawndale, former Cabrini Green, etc.) than I've seen here so the proverb 'don't judge a book by it's cover' comes to mind, though if you've read the 1st chapter; vis--vis then that's a completely different story

Last but not least I reside in a brand new subdivision near Marbach & Hunt that is ever so quiet by day and night and I jog that way from time to time at night...

my .02; not that bad. Mind you, I wouldn't live there if I could help it but... that's a different story.
Slow night? I stated in my first posting "IMO," so no need to go on and on trying to attack my opinion while making your point. As your first sentence states, everyone has a different interpretation of "rough."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,502 times
We're getting a little OT here!

Any other fil-am folks around? Any events coming up??

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,477,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Slow night? I stated in my first posting "IMO," so no need to go on and on trying to attack my opinion while making your point. As your first sentence states, everyone has a different interpretation of "rough."
Hey sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to attack your opinion more than deducing your points relative to SA. I merely did not want anyone to be hesitant on going there based off one person's interpretation of rough. That's all.

In the end...

Good food; typical San Antonio middle/lower middle class surrounding neighborhood. Go during lunch and you'll see a great deal of military personnel and cheap prices. Don't forget to try the Lechon Kawali (deep fried pork belly with gp sauce). As stated, talk to Chris and he'll fill you in on Fil Am happenings (and don't forget Filipino Express).

No hard feelings I hope (from a fellow west pac vet).

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM

162 posts, read 548,910 times
Default 2008-2009 Miss Philippines

There will be 2008-2009 Ms. Philippines "Mo Money", I mean beauty pageant. Moderator cut: website removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Competitive websites not allowed

Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
There will be 2008-2009 Ms. Philippines "Mo Money", I mean beauty pageant. Moderator cut: website removed
Good site! Is it new?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: website ref removed

Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM

22 posts, read 99,121 times
Wow! I haven't visited this thread for a while and it is now 3 pages. It's good to know that there are Fil-Am members here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post

So far, I already met some of Filipinos/Filipinas here in San Antonio and they are nice. Last year(2007), I attended a certain get-together party held in my friend's house. Some of the folks who joined the party were from other cities like Houston, Dallas and I forgot the others. All I know that there will be upcoming get-together party again for this year. I'll post here for more updates.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 10,653 times
how do you like it there? have you found a lot of filipino friends yet? I am eager to know cause I'd like to move there too! i live in NY and i've had it cold weather.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 PM

159 posts, read 683,472 times
Quote:
Glady, go to Lily's Filipino Restaraunt on the 410 access Road between Hwy 90 and Marbach Rd.
My girlfriend and I went to Lilly's, very nice people. We were even invited to a party that they were thowing. I had the chicken adobo, sad to say it was no comp for my girlfriends chicken adobo. There lumpia isnt bad, my girlfriend makes lumpia by the trashbag load, we have too much lumpia in our freezer. Everytime we pass Lilly's it seems to be dead, hope it picks up. There is also a Korean BBQ place across from John Jay H.S. that is good. Has anyone tried that place out?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 PM

22 posts, read 99,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithalexis View Post
how do you like it there? have you found a lot of filipino friends yet? I am eager to know cause I'd like to move there too! i live in NY and i've had it cold weather.
Oh, I like San Antonio. I have just been here for a year and 3 months and I found Filipino friends already. I thought that I would be felt homesick here forever from my homeland(Philippines) but not because if there are special occasions here we are having gathering like birthday party, get-together party, B-b shower party (he he he) like what I had before I gave birth, Christmas party and etc.
In addition to that, for me, I like the weather here and the cost of living is is a bit alright compare to other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
My girlfriend and I went to Lilly's, very nice people. We were even invited to a party that they were thowing. I had the chicken adobo, sad to say it was no comp for my girlfriends chicken adobo. There lumpia isnt bad, my girlfriend makes lumpia by the trashbag load, we have too much lumpia in our freezer. Everytime we pass Lilly's it seems to be dead, hope it picks up. There is also a Korean BBQ place across from John Jay H.S. that is good. Has anyone tried that place out?
I know that place that you are talking about because John Jay H.S. is where my husband graduated when he was in high school long time ago. I guess the owner of that BBQ place is a friend/relative(I don't know) of my husband's friend who is a Korean too and had a barbershop before. My husband used to have his haircut there but that barbershop was already close so we missed that Korean lady (a neighbour of hers).

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,653 times
Default Filipino or Fil-Am communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glady View Post
Oh, I like San Antonio. I have just been here for a year and 3 months and I found Filipino friends already. I thought that I would be felt homesick here forever from my homeland(Philippines) but not because if there are special occasions here we are having gathering like birthday party, get-together party, B-b shower party (he he he) like what I had before I gave birth, Christmas party and etc.
In addition to that, for me, I like the weather here and the cost of living is is a bit alright compare to other states.
Hi Glady,

I am glad you're not that homesick. I am filipina too! living in Staten Island, NY and working in Manhattan. Is it like Philippine "hot" weather? or is the Philippines hotter? There are many filipinos here too but i have had it with putting on too many layers of clothes during winter. How is the weather there? Do you get tornadoes/floods? I'd like to sell my house here eventually and get a house there for me and my mom. She lives in Washington State and it's cold and rains a lot there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio