Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoboypinoyJR View Post
Filipino stores and restaurants are generally in 2 clusters in the San Antonio area: Northeast side around Randolph AFB, and Northwest side.

You will find the following near Randolph AFB, on or near Pat Booker Rd:
- Chockdee (a Filipino store on Lindbergh a blocks east of Pat Booker and 2 blocks outside the Randolph AFB main gate, next to Shell)
- Tabares (another Filipino store, in the Randolph Plaza shopping center)
- Dolce Manila (a Filipino bakery across Pat Booker from Randolph Plaza)
- Mekeni (a Filipino buffet at the intersection of Pat Booker and Kitty Hawk, next to Taco Cabana)

The following are all on the Northwest side
- Lily's (a Filipino restaurant and store, on the northbound Loop 410 access road between 90 and Marbach)
- Sari-Sari (another Filipino restaurant and store, on Wurzbach just east of Bandera, across from Ancira Chevrolet)
- Orient Spice (a Filipino restaurant on Bandera Rd inside the Loop, near where it meets up with Culebra east of St. Mary's University)
- Filipino Express (a Filipino restaurant in the shopping center off the westbound Loop 410 access road between Callaghan and Evers, next to Conn's and behind Chili's)

Hope this helps!

You should also visit Santo Nino Catholic Church (on Rigsby/US Hwy 87 east of Loop 410) if you want to meet other Filipinos and experience some of the culture. The noon Mass on Sundays features songs sung in Tagalog. The annual Fiesta is held in May while the San Lorenzo Ruiz Fall Festival is in September. I play the piano for the adult/traditional choir, which sings at the noon Mass.
You forgot a third cluster (Southwest):

Peral of the Orient Philippine Market on Hwy 90 access road (West) just past the SSFCU Security Tower
Lily's Bakery/Restaurant on Loop 410 access road (North) just past highway 90 intersection about 3/4 mile before Marbach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 22,123 times
iikhandieii

I know of Santo Nino Church.
This is their web site:
Santo Nino Catholic Church, San Antonio, Texas

Santo Niño Celebrates the Feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz "The first Filipino Saint"

Join us as we celebrate the Feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz
Saturday & Sunday, September 26 - 27, 2009
Starts at 9:00 am on Sunday
Traditional Filipino food and festivities
FREE Admission!

This is the link to their annual Sinulog Event.
YouTube - silayan2008's Channel

Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 AM

73 posts, read 229,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris.davis View Post
iikhandieii

I know of Santo Nino Church.
This is their web site:
Santo Nino Catholic Church, San Antonio, Texas

Santo Niño Celebrates the Feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz "The first Filipino Saint"

Join us as we celebrate the Feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz
Saturday & Sunday, September 26 - 27, 2009
Starts at 9:00 am on Sunday
Traditional Filipino food and festivities
FREE Admission!

This is the link to their annual Sinulog Event.
YouTube - silayan2008's Channel
I went to the Feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz at Santo Niño - I played the piano for the noon Mass that day! The Sinulog is also a cool event - I remember when Karilagan Philippine Cultural Dance Group did their Sinulog last year (I think) and ended their dance with a large representation of Santo Niño using red umbrellas, a golden globe with a cross, and a large picture of His face. It was really neat. I have gone to Santo Niño since before the parish had its own building, back when Masses were celebrated at San Martin de Porres near Kelly AFB. In fact, I remember alter serving before I started playing the piano.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,027 times
Default Hello

Hi,

I'm new here too about 3 mos. and looking for friends..good friends...u can e-mail me f u want...we live in westover valley area.

Thanks and Have a good day!

Ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glady View Post
Hello everybody,

Does anybody know where I can find Filipino or Fil-Am communities here in San Antonio? I have been here for a year and 7 days in this city since I arrived and I only met few friends. I really want to meet new friends even if not Filipino or Fil-am. I feel so boring at home and not working at this time because I have a baby.

Thank you.

Glady

Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,027 times
Default Hello

Hi,

I read your response to Glady,We just move here in San Antonio I am also looking for nice filipina friends.We live in the Westover Valley area. I am from Butuan not really that far from Davao. It would be nice to know somebody that is of the same Island where I came from. Thanks

Ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swr_78028 View Post
Dear Gladdy;
My wife is Filipino and we found many even workign in WalMArt New Braunfels.
Many of us found the wisdom of bringing our wifes back from their country although I Miss living there.
I am Irish American an dmy wife is from Davao
Email us at swr_78028@yahoo.com

Does anybody know where I can find Filipino or Fil-Am communities here in San Antonio? I have been here for a year and 7 days in this city since I arrived and I only met few friends. I really want to meet new friends even if not Filipino or Fil-am. I feel so boring at home and not working at this time because I have a baby.

Thank you.

Glady
[/quote]

Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 10,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glady View Post
Hello everybody,

Thank you.

Glady
Have you found or met anyone yet?

Amor

Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Please, if anyone knows where I can find actual lumpia wrappers, let me know. I have not been able to find them recently. Or if you have a home made recipe for them, that is even better. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
@ HillCountryHotRodMan

Tim's Oriental Market on Bandera, in a shopping center a little west of Huebner. I was just in there an hour ago picking up spring roll wrappers and noticed they sell lumpia wrappers. It's in the freezer section to the back of the store on the right. They had only one brand 50 ct. After this spring roll experiment, lumpia will be next on my list.

It's a nice little market, they just pulled out fresh BBQ pork and peking duck! The store smelled so good.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Pearl of the Orient Filipino Market (Hwy 90 access road just east of Military Drive) should have lumpia wrappers. I always get the chore of separating the wrappers...very thin and tear easy! My wife makes great lumpia with meat inside!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,841 times
Default Low cost texting to the Philippines???

I miss my wife who’s in the Philippines right now for a vacation and I’m left here in San Diego (job call). Been calling her but it really costs me much. I also tried texting her but its still heavy even with my international plan. Tried also Chikka but it cost her much to text me back. What’s the best way to text between the US and the Philippines without both of us spending much? Please help….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio