Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Have dinner one night in the hemisfair tower "Tower of Americas". Food isn't that great and overpriced but the experience is worth it. If you skip the restaurant, you can still go to the observation deck.

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.
Go to the bar for drinks and apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
The San Antonio Zoo is fun (with or without kids), and is close to downtown, and a less expensive option compared to the theme parks.

The Witte Museum is also close to downtown and easily a half day of entertainment.

It all depends on how much time you want to spend traveling between attractions from downtown. As posted by others, the Hill Country and several state parks are easy drives and mostly scenic views along the route if that is something your "crowd" enjoys.

You can easily fill 3 days within a short radius of your hotel. Walk the Pearl District-eclectic boutiques and dining options. Check out the Mission Trail.

Go to a Spurs game if your schedule overlaps--and experience the best NBA fan base and all-around great venue.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Absolutely!!!!!!!!!

The top of the Tower of the Americas provides a spectacular view of San Antonio especially, at night.
The Spanish Governor's Palace is another important historical landmark to visit, Dating back to to the Spanish colonial period -- 1722. It now has an admission price. It really isn't worth the fee but it is on the way to Mi Tierra Restaurant, another favorite tourist haunt.
El Mercado (The Marketplace) is mainly a tourist trap , yes, but can be very interesting for visitors, a lot of trinkets and craftwork.
La Villita, another. (The Little Village) an old, old San Antonio neighborhood downtown has been converted to galleries of paintings and artwork. Exit the Riverwalk at the Arneson River Theater and you will walk right into it.
All of this stuff is is within walking distance from the Riverwalk, it is a matter of exiting out of the Riverwalk onto the closest corresponding city street above that is nearest the attrtaction you wish to visit.

QUOTE=Azure110;38256349]Have dinner one night in the Hemisfair tower "Tower of Americas" a remnant of the world's fair here of 1968.
Food isn't that great and overpriced but the experience is worth it. If you skip the restaurant, you can still go to the observation deck.

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.[/quote]

Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 AM

536 posts, read 639,203 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:17 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there anything besides those 5 we should visit? I heard about some Japanese garden in the area-- is that the Missions National Park? I also heard there is a Mexican marketplace that is popular. Is that worth visiting or is it nothing more than a tourist trap? Thanks!
The Japanese Tea Garden is lovely and a special place. It's located just north of downtown near the zoo. Skip the zoo, it's not that great. Ok if you live here but I wouldn't waste a trip on it. That said, if you have kids, the zoo train (get on just outside the zoo entrance, which is very near the tea garden) is fun.

Missions National Historic Park San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) is actually a series of missions south of SA a few miles (close to enough to ride bikes along a wonderful trail called the Mission Reach, if you're so inclined). These include Missions Concepcion, San Jose (where the park HQ is), San Juan Capistrano, then further down is Espada. Near there you can see the old dam and aquecia which, IMO, is very cool if you like history.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

536 posts, read 639,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The Japanese Tea Garden is lovely and a special place. It's located just north of downtown near the zoo. Skip the zoo, it's not that great. Ok if you live here but I wouldn't waste a trip on it. That said, if you have kids, the zoo train (get on just outside the zoo entrance, which is very near the tea garden) is fun.

Missions National Historic Park San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) is actually a series of missions south of SA a few miles (close to enough to ride bikes along a wonderful trail called the Mission Reach, if you're so inclined). These include Missions Concepcion, San Jose (where the park HQ is), San Juan Capistrano, then further down is Espada. Near there you can see the old dam and aquecia which, IMO, is very cool if you like history.
Thanks for the info! It was very helpful.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 AM

245 posts, read 696,112 times
I'd also suggest the Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum, right around the corner from the Alamo. Went there last year finally with the kiddos (got a coupon on Groupon) and had a lot of fun. Also, may want to check out a really cool art light show that is displayed on the facade of the San Fernando Cathedral every Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun at 9 p.m., 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. It goes through the history of the region. I haven't gone in person yet but saw the video on YouTube and it looks really cool (Main Plaza has more info).

The Japanese Tea Gardens are very nice, next to the zoo. I'd guess about 2 hours or less of your time there. I've lived in San Antonio for 8 years and we always enjoy going downtown. We'll usually start off at El Mercado (which usually has folkloric dancing on the main stage on the weekends), walk down to Main Plaza, then the River Walk, and make our way back. Try walking on the new River Walk extension which goes by the San Antonio Museum of Art. I'd also suggest the Witte Museum. May be packed during Spring Break (well we went on their Free day so that's why it was packed when I went), but it's worth it in my opinion, there is a lot of stuff to see there.

Hope you enjoy your time here! Ah! May want to check out the King William Historic District downtown. Cool Victorian houses.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
I'd also suggest the Witte Museum. May be packed during Spring Break (well we went on their Free day so that's why it was packed when I went), but it's worth it in my opinion, there is a lot of stuff to see there. .
It's insane the entire week of Spring Break. I didn't realize this trip was during Spring Break. I don't think the Japanese Tea Garden is that popular with Spring Breakers so you're probably ok, but getting there will be a major PITA. Often the traffic is really backed up on the highway at that exit and the streets are ridiculously clogged due to zoo-goers. The Missions won't be terribly crowded.

I agree with another about the Tower - if you go, go to the bar for drinks. You won't be on the observation deck but it's good enough and it's free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio