Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
ugh, first concert I saw in SA was Alan Jackson at the rodeo. (Back in the day when I would actually listen to country music.) Have seen some better ones since then, notably Social Distortion at Sunset Station!!!! (MUCH more my style!! And Mike Ness looked as good now as he did 20some years ago!) A totally different genre ~ Black Eyed Peas (with Pussycat Dolls opening) was a blast! Did a lotta dancin that night!

First "actual" concert, tho, was (if I remember correctly anyway) Roy Clark in Phoenix, with the folks, at the Arizona State Fair! heh! Most memorable where also in Phx, during the teen years ~ Rush was awesome, ZZ Top was F-U-N (Cheap Sunglasses days), Cheap Trick was a trip, but best concerts of all times were the Rolling Stones and The Who!!!
Jules, back in the day (94/95/96) Seaworld use to have FREE concerts for their season ticket holders in that "world pavilion" area. Took the kiddos to see Alan Jackson (he did put on a good show), and even the Monkees reunion tour (all the parents wanted to see them, the kiddos were all not wanting to do this, but really got into it since all the old coots (us) were singing along...think the kiddos were entertained that WE knew words to songs at all!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
This is a great thread. My first show was Van Halen in 1984 in Dallas, but I do remember my first SA show.. the first show at the Alamodome in 92 or so, Paul McCartney. Great show but the acoustics of the Alamodome were not so good.. seemed like the metal wires were resonating at the lower bass frequencies, causing a big mush in the sound. Still an awesome memory.

But no comparison to the folks who attended the '65 Beatles show in h-town. What an incredible experience that must have been. For a Beatles fan such as myself, just reading about it gives me the chills. Wow.
I have to tell you, we went to Vegas with friends last May and went to the Mirage to see "LOVE"...the Beatles production by Circe. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! If you are a fan, you MUST see this production. You would have thought at times they were alive and performing together again. We will see it again on our next trip to Vegas for sure. (tip...sit higher in the arena...this is one show where floor seats are NOT the best IMHO...there are several times where being higher up gave us an advantage to several dream sequences that the full affect of what was going on around the entire arena was AWESOME!!!)

Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
Iron Butterfly at the Hemisfair Arena. Must have been around 1967. Another artist from that era that is from SA was Mike Nesmith of the Monkees. A friend of mine used to have his old console stereo. Her mother bought it from his mother. It had Dayglow paint on the speaker grills on the front.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM

119 posts, read 543,982 times
I was fortunate enough to catch MC Hammer AND Vanilla Ice at the Alamodome back in sixth grade. My ears rang for days.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 AM

47 posts, read 155,793 times
First Concert was The Kiss Habitat Hole Down at Sunken Gardens 1996: Headlining was Candlebox opening acts:1,000 Mona Lisas,Green Apple Quick Step and another band forgot the name I had a good time!
It was only like $15.00 per ticket,my second concert was Foo Fighters '96 at Live Oak Civic Center for only $17.00 now I look at the prices and there mad crazy prices! $45.00 and up... I wish concert where still $20.00 range dammmit! Haha

Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,009,800 times
Boston with Sammy Hagar in 1976 at the Arena... Was a great show and I had a grand time.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 AM

47 posts, read 155,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobvandy View Post
I was fortunate enough to catch MC Hammer AND Vanilla Ice at the Alamodome back in sixth grade. My ears rang for days.
They came..... Oh man!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM

305 posts, read 1,617,916 times
My first concert was STYX @ 1977. It was their Pieces of Eight tour. I think Renegade was the big hit off that album. It was at the arena. The best concert I ever saw was Supertramp at the arena. I had never heard of them and my friend had an extra ticket. They were the only band that played and their stage show was very entertaining. Ever since that concert, I have been a fan.

Other concerts of note, I saw Ozzy in Austin at the coliseum when he was banned from SA. Saw Legs Diamond at the Sunken Gardens and saw Joe King at Texas A&M in a free concert in an old gym there. Was a blast to attend. He was awesome.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM

129 posts, read 512,855 times
Default Paul Revere & Raiders

Wow Paka! What great memories! When I was about 10 or 11 (68-69) my best friends 18 yr old sister was dating a sound guy or someone in the band Paul Revere and the Raiders and they would keep equipment in her garage! We would always peek in there at it. We lived on Carrie Lane between Rittiman and Eisenhauer, East Terrell Hills Elementary.

First Concert: It was Humble Pie, cant remember other bands probably in 1974? My brother would show us how to sneak in the Municipal Auditorium, climb up trees to a window, go thru some offices, out a hall way! I have lurking here a while and finally posted!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM

927 posts, read 1,389,704 times
Default Those were the days

My first concert I believe was 6/1/80 at the old Hemisfair Arena. Which at that time sat about 10,000 people. It was Judas Priest and it was terriffic. I was 15 at the time and remember the specific date because I had tickets to another great show that was take place just days later. That was Def Leppard/Scorpions/Ted Nugent on a triple bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio