Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times

Advertisements

Though it might be fun to remember some of the first concerts you attended in SA or elsewhere for that matter but beware you might be giving away your age! I was knee high to a grasshopper when I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Municipal Auditorium. Did anybody else go to that concert? It was awesome and I was too young to even know what marijuana was... come to think of it maybe that was one reason it was so good... I did feel kinda light headed when my Mother picked my cousin and I up after the concert. I do not live on River Road just incase you were wondering. Why be stingy... everyone post the first concert/concerts you went to and where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
My first concert here was Ray Price at the rodeo. It was a "first date" with a guy I had met, and I was so excited that we were going! Until I found out it was Ray Price. They were the only rodeo tickets he could come up with on short notice. The following weekend we went to a party, he got completely snot-faced drunk, I had to drive us home, and he puked on my carpet. That was our "last date."

Fast forward about 7 years with no concerts--not really my thing--but my husband and I were one of the 7 or 8 straight couples at the Melissa Etheridge concert at the Municipal. She puts on a nice show.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Though it might be fun to remember some of the first concerts you attended in SA or elsewhere for that matter but beware you might be giving away your age! I was knee high to a grasshopper when I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Municipal Auditorium. Did anybody else go to that concert? It was awesome and I was too young to even know what marijuana was... come to think of it maybe that was one reason it was so good... I did feel kinda light headed when my Mother picked my cousin and I up after the concert. I do not live on River Road just incase you were wondering. Why be stingy... everyone post the first concert/concerts you went to and where?
Can't remember which I saw FIRST in SA (but my first concert EVER was the Beatles in Houston!!!), but saw Jimmy, Janis Joplin, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Three Dog Night and tons of others. Back in the day, my friends and I spent every last penny we could earn on concert tickets. Those WERE the days!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Can't remember which I saw FIRST in SA (but my first concert EVER was the Beatles in Houston!!!), but saw Jimmy, Janis Joplin, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Three Dog Night and tons of others. Back in the day, my friends and I spent every last penny we could earn on concert tickets. Those WERE the days!
Can't top the Beatles! I was a big fan in 6th grade. Saw Jethro, Jefferson Airplane, the Moody Blues and tons of others when concert tickets were $3 and hambergers 25 cents... some younger folks must be thinking we are older than dirt. Does anyone remember hanging out at the Sunken Gardens?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Can't top the Beatles! I was a big fan in 6th grade. Saw Jethro, Jefferson Airplane, the Moody Blues and tons of others when concert tickets were $3 and hambergers 25 cents... some younger folks must be thinking we are older than dirt. Does anyone remember hanging out at the Sunken Gardens?
OH MY!! ME TOO!

Did you remember feeling TOTALLY bummed when the Moody Blues did "Nights in White Satin" and did not even BOTHER to have a recording of the London Philly part??? It was like, WHAT THE???!!?!?!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
My first husband and I sold pizza from a booth we leased at the Red, White, and Blues concert at Sunken Gardens--had to have been July 4th, 1987. I was 93 months pregnant, it was 110 degrees, and there were stoners everywhere! It was a great day, except for being 93 months pregnant, and it was 110 degrees. Stoners love pizza.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yea, my girlfriends father (God rest his soul) took FOUR 12 year old girls in a RAMBLER STATIONWAGON (no AC I might add!!!) to Houston to see the Beatles in 1965!!!!! We yelled and screamed all the way to Houston and all the way back!!! I think the road trip was about 6 hours each way. The show was on 19 Aug 1965 at the Sam Houston Coliseum and the tickets were........$5.00 each NO JOKE!

I remember well...had to EARN the $$ to go!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yea, my girlfriends father (God rest his soul) took FOUR 12 year old girls in a RAMBLER STATIONWAGON (no AC I might add!!!) to Houston to see the Beatles in 1965!!!!! We yelled and screamed all the way to Houston and all the way back!!! I think the road trip was about 6 hours each way. The show was on 19 Aug 1965 at the Sam Houston Coliseum and the tickets were........$5.00 each NO JOKE!

I remember well...had to EARN the $$ to go!
I guess that makes us the same age. I remember seeing the Beatle movie "Hard Days Night" at the Woodlawn Theater and we screamed our lungs out through the entire movie. We used to play the album over and over again until it drove the adults crazy. I guess you had some Beatle boots, pasley naru blouses and hip hugger bell bottoms. Yeap, those were the days!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
My first husband and I sold pizza from a booth we leased at the Red, White, and Blues concert at Sunken Gardens--had to have been July 4th, 1987. I was 93 months pregnant, it was 110 degrees, and there were stoners everywhere! It was a great day, except for being 93 months pregnant, and it was 110 degrees. Stoners love pizza.
Welp, that has to be the longest pregnancy on record! Actually I am thinking of 69/70. All the youth would gather at Sunken Gardens and just hang out... no bands or pizza. There were never any fights but it made officials uncomfortable so they eventually ran everybody out. They also had outdoor concerts at Olmos Basin. Does anybody remember Shawn Phillips?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
OH MY!! ME TOO!

Did you remember feeling TOTALLY bummed when the Moody Blues did "Nights in White Satin" and did not even BOTHER to have a recording of the London Philly part??? It was like, WHAT THE???!!?!?!
I only remember being somewhat disappointed by their performance. The specifics are a little foggy to me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio