Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM

448 posts, read 813,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It is not San Antonio they need permission from, it is Bexar County.
OKay. That definitely wasn't clear based on the wording of the WOAI article:

Quote:
"We want to develop how we want to develop," he said. "Control our zoning laws and basically make improvements where we want them, and when we want them."

But it's not an easy thing to do.

"We have to seek their permission before we can incorporate," he said of the city.
If it's actually Bexar county they need permission from, that would make a lot more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trill_hippy210 View Post
...have you done your research? it was clearly stated that the county, not city, asked to the COSA to annex the land. Sure the city taxing the people living in these areas is apart of the deal but its NOT wasn't originally the city's agenda. Why are yall suburbanites stuck on living right on the edge of the city limits anyways? If yall want to get away from the city so much, then live in the country. This city is expanding. I remember when alamo ranch was non existent. But now that there's a million houses & stores & restaurants yall wanna complain about it being annexed?
Your claim isn't true. Produce a copy of a letter stating such a request. Can't? That is because it doesn't exist. COSA wants to annex to pay for the police, fire, and roads that are subsidized by such an annexation grab. It is that simple. Complaints about not being able to control unbridled development in the unincorporated areas is bogus as all the areas being considered are within the ETJ and the MPO coordinates activities in lock step (witness the Camp Bullis MLOD expansion). Transportation planning is also highly coordinated (though I wnt bring up the funding aspect and where I stand on it). Nope, the ONLY reason they want to annex is money. Keep in mind that as a CPS energy customer you are already funding COSA. Does Bexar County get any of that money to underwrite their needs? Not a dime.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Your claim isn't true. Produce a copy of a letter stating such a request. Can't? That is because it doesn't exist. COSA wants to annex to pay for the police, fire, and roads that are subsidized by such an annexation grab. It is that simple. Complaints about not being able to control unbridled development in the unincorporated areas is bogus as all the areas being considered are within the ETJ and the MPO coordinates activities in lock step (witness the Camp Bullis MLOD expansion). Transportation planning is also highly coordinated (though I wnt bring up the funding aspect and where I stand on it). Nope, the ONLY reason they want to annex is money. Keep in mind that as a CPS energy customer you are already funding COSA. Does Bexar County get any of that money to underwrite their needs? Not a dime.
Check the end of the article...San Antonio takes next step in annexation process - San Antonio Express-News. Pretty clear the county doesn't have the resources to prevent this area from turning into the next slum.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:02 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Pretty clear the county doesn't have the resources to prevent this area from turning into the next slum.
Heaven knows the city has always done an outstanding job of it.........

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Annexation vs. LPA...apples and oranges. I'm referring to what this thread is about in the beginning. Full annexation.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Better job than the county

Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Alamo Ranch would have to get approval from San Antonio because it is in the ETJ. (map below)

san antonio ETJ - Bing Images

Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The worst slum in the area is in unincorporated Bexar County on the northeast side. Nothing in the city even comes close to it.
Camelot II cleanup goes slow - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Annexation vs. LPA...apples and oranges. I'm referring to what this thread is about in the beginning. Full annexation.
Quote:
An impassioned Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff took aim at San Antonio’s slowness to annex unincorporated areas of the county and suggested state legislation may be necessary to address the issue long-term, as the region’s population continues to surge...Although Wolff called the city’s latest annexation plan a step forward, he challenged the city to do more and absorb larger swaths of the county; allow areas of the county more freedom to incorporate if they so choose; or else give the county more revenue sources to help provide better services in unincorporated Bexar County...But Wolff and other commissioners suggested the situation in their jurisdictions is dire, as more people move into unincorporated areas expecting a certain level of service the county can’t afford to provide.
County pushing San Antonio to re-examine annexation policies - San Antonio Express-News

Yes, areas that are apart of the ETJ have to ask San Antonio for permission to incorporate.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
OKay. That definitely wasn't clear based on the wording of the WOAI article:

If it's actually Bexar county they need permission from, that would make a lot more sense.
You were right and I was wrong. I wasn't thinking of the ETJ which requires SA city council vote. Thing is I thought this kind of move requires the signature of Bexar County Judge to make it final.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I feel like Stone Oak wanted to annex in the same way Alamo Ranch wants to in the mid/late 90s (although I do not 100% recall, I remember them getting annexed at one point in time. If I'm wrong then I apologize). Ahhh. Found it.

Quote:
In the 1980s and '90s, San Antonio gobbled up master-planned communities such as Stone Oak and Westover Hills in then-unincorporated Bexar County after they'd been mostly developed. But a lack of local planning led to unbridled growth that clogged area roads and strained public services.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...4970694.php#/0
Their annexation has ended up relatively fine. (side note reading that I didn't realize Westover Hills was ever unincorporated, can you imagine that area unincorporated?)

I just wish I understood why people in Alamo Ranch think they are any different than any other part of the county.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 02-03-2015 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: added a link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio