Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 AM

32 posts, read 44,498 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
We are thinking of relocating to Texas in the next couple of months in either the San Antonio or Austin area. My wife is working in Austin right now as a travel nurse but she has really been only impressed with the immediate downtown area. Everywhere else she has been in Austin and Round Rock was way too hectic and crazy with nothing quaint and nowalkable neighborhoods (She really liked downtown Round Rock but everything immediatley outside downtown Round Rock went back to craziness).

She was in San Antonio yesterday and fell in love with the downtown/riverwalk area and told me we need to move to San Antonio now, lol.

I saw that there are fairly affordable lofts right near the Riverwalk (1221 broadway) that are really nice and the Tobin Hill area seemed to have affordable houses for rent also. Is this a good area and is anyone famiiar with these lofts?

My question is also are there any nice suburban neighborhoods that it is walkable to parks, restaraunts, pubs, pools, etc... We are moving from a rural area outside of Fayetteville, NC and want an area where we dont have to spend a lot of time in our car.

Lastly does Boerne or New Braunfels compare to Georgetown. I have seen some video on Georgetown and it looks nice but it is a far distance from Austin with crazy traffic. Would rather be in a nice town like that but closer to San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
This thread may help: Woodlawn/Monticello Area (Relocating from DC)

As far as suburban and walkable that's not in SA. In immediate downtown Boerne and New Braunfels perhaps, but that's about the same as downtown SA.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
I fully agree with your wife about Austin!

San Antonio has the advantage that you can live downtown, and it's not crazy expensive (though that is relative).

Alamo Heights is suburban and somewhat walkable to parks and restaurants, though not many people do. There are not a lot of suburban places that are not car-centric.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Museum Reach/River North/Tobin Hill/Lower Broadway/Mahncke Park area and Southtown.

Lived in Austin for almost 10 years and wouldn't move back.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:00 PM

78 posts, read 92,361 times
I recently moved to the Monte Vista neighborhood and love it. Depending on how much you like to walk it is very walkable. Restaurants and bars are 15-20 minutes and the Pearl is 45 minutes. Brackenridge park is nearby as well, but I have yet to make that walk. Homes are beautiful and neighbors are super friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio