Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,762 times

Advertisements

I don't know that Thousand Oaks garage is any different than any other garage in town on pricing. They are not the cheapest but not the most expensive either... certainly not as bad as a dealership. What I like, in addition to the quality work they do is, they give you options on how to fix it. For example, there is the text book way to fix something and that text book way is often very pricey. Then there is an alternate way that may not be exactly by the book but it gets the job done. Every time I've gone to Thousand Oaks, they've explained both options to me, the cost of both repairs and the risks involved with doing one over the other. I appreciate that. Sometimes I have them do it text book, sometimes I have them take the shortcut. I have never once had an issue with one of their repairs, even when I've asked them to take the shortcut... Their shortcuts are quality too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 PM

358 posts, read 577,460 times
My issue with Brake Check is that they put your car on the lift and take everything apart, no matter what you came in to have repaired. If you don't want a lot of work done, your car sits like that for hours while they work on the customers who they are charging more. It's not unusual to drive by a BC and see all the lifts full of cars with all their tires off and no work at all being done. I know that's their business model but it sucks, IMO.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
Since you own a Honda, I recommend Arrowwood Automotive at 951 E Bitters Rd. They specialize in Honda/Acura repairs. I have dealt with them for nearly six years and I have yet to be disappointed.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM

358 posts, read 577,460 times
Thanks I will look into them.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
its so easy to do on your own. all you need is:

brake pads
brake pad grease
socket wrench and appropriate socket (usually a 10 or 12mm with most imports)
a big set of pliers or a big C clamp (c clamp is easier, used to compress the pistons back into place).
about 30 minutes - 1 hour time.

most cars, you undo 2 bolts, pull off the piece that houses the brake pads, remove pads, grease new pads and put them in, compress piston, rebolt everything back up and pump brake a few times to get pressure back. test drive up and down the road, make sure they work, do a few 35+mph stops by slamming on brakes to brake them in, profit.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
its so easy to do on your own. all you need is:

brake pads
brake pad grease
socket wrench and appropriate socket (usually a 10 or 12mm with most imports)
a big set of pliers or a big C clamp (c clamp is easier, used to compress the pistons back into place).
about 30 minutes - 1 hour time.

most cars, you undo 2 bolts, pull off the piece that houses the brake pads, remove pads, grease new pads and put them in, compress piston, rebolt everything back up and pump brake a few times to get pressure back. test drive up and down the road, make sure they work, do a few 35+mph stops by slamming on brakes to brake them in, profit.

Yep, pretty much this.

However, if I might add a modification/suggestion to your procedure:

When compressing, it's a good idea to open the caliper bleed screw and eject piston brake fluid as particulate matter and debris (deteriorating hoses, dirt suspended in fluid) will settle in the lower parts of the brake system - calipers. This eliminates any risk of forcing debris back into your ABS pressure modulation valve (can be expensive) or clogging up a proportioning valve on older vehicles.

May as well, while you're at it go ahead and change the brake fluid. It's hygroscopic. Absorbs moisture over time and breaks down. Excessive moisture can corrode the brake system (copper crush washers, banjo joints, steel lines) and lessen braking effectiveness as well. Refer to your shop manual for your particular model though, as some ABS/TCS vehicles have specific bleeding procedures that need to be
adhered to. Generally, we don't have to replace brakes any more frequently than a few years in between, so It's about the right interval for changing/flushing all of the fluid as well.

Make sure to hit the glide pins or pad guides with a wire brush and clean them up to as prevent binding and uneven wear on the new pads.

Also, it should be noted to inspect the rotor/drums for grooves, heat spots, glazing, cracks, and of course take measurement and make sure you aren't at discard thickness if machining has been done in the past or is currently required. (See your shop manual for that specification)

Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM

432 posts, read 523,314 times
"appropriate socket"
I've finally accumulated all 6 or 7 needed for the different makes of cars. Some are hex/star/torq's.

This job is easier/cleaner than a driveway oil change and a big money saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: