U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Fairly glad I've found City Data, and thought I'd dip my feet in the forums to see if there's even more help to be had here.

I will be moving from my family's home in Upstate NY to the SA area this summer to begin work in Seguin. As stated in the thread title, I will have recently graduated college.

The guys at my future job told me that New Braunfels would pretty much be the place to live, so I've been looking around the web for apartment communities, but I'm worried that as a 23yo I'll be out of place - or be lacking for things to do - in a town where the median age is ~35. I would absolutely consider Seguin, but outside of Texas Lutheran I'm not sure the demographics fit me either.

I'm looking for an area where I'm not the "what the hell is this young guy doing here" sore thumb. Relative proximity to golf courses and Sunday league soccer (or a youth soccer program, for coaching experience) is a plus. Close distance to bars/restaurants/other nightlife is a great plus. I'd prefer to avoid studio apartments if possible but I'm open to the idea. I'd like to keep the commute to Seguin under 30 minutes.

If anyone has suggestions on places/towns to check out or specific apartment communities to investigate based on what I've said above, I'd love to hear them. I believe I'll be flying in to SA in a few weeks to do some firsthand looking and I'd like to have my list of potential places nailed down by then. Of course, any other advice is also appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

--- Also, may want to update the "Sports" section of PLEASE READ FIRST to include the Scorpions, playing 2nd Division soccer out of Toyota Field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 8,608 times
I would certainly consider the Schertz/Cibolo area and also the New Braunfels area. I know in Schertz there are youth soccer leagues and the Northcliffe Country Club and golf course is close by in Cibolo as well as other courses in northeast San Antonio. There is not as much bar and nightlife in Schertz though there are a couple options.
New Braunfels is a great place to live also. It is quickly growing along with Schertz and Cibolo and potentially has more bar/nightlife options in town. In summer, you have two very popular attractions, the Comal River and Schlitterbahn, a popular waterpark. The Comal River is a great place to enjoy a few beers while floating the river.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
Check out San Marcos. It is a 30 minute drive (almost exactly with my experience) down 123 to Seguin. It is a college town with lots of college-y and post college things to do in the area. Not to mention you will be even closer to Austin than you would be in the Schertz area. New Braunfels wouldn't be a bad choice, but even with the growth in the area there's still not a lot to do with your downtown outside of the river and leaving town to come to San Antonio.

Seguin is a sleepy southern town disguised as a college town with Texas Lutheran University in the city. Don't be fooled. Everyone goes to San Marcos or San Antonio or even home on the weekends. There's nothing to do.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Thank you both for the suggestions, especially the TLU/sleepy town hint.

I'll include them in my search.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Live in New Braunfels, work in Seguin - party in NB AND San Marcos. San Marcos is a college/party town, and you'll be dealing with higher rents because of that - and lots of empty-headed know-it-alls that are still living off their parents.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Live in New Braunfels, work in Seguin - party in NB AND San Marcos. San Marcos is a college/party town, and you'll be dealing with higher rents because of that - and lots of empty-headed know-it-alls that are still living off their parents.
10-4, TR. I was hoping you'd comment, seems like you don't mind helping out the newbies.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMH View Post
10-4, TR. I was hoping you'd comment, seems like you don't mind helping out the newbies.
Thanks - I try, when I think I can. I usually leave the questions from the younger folks be, since I'm far beyond the bar-hoppin' age.... But in this instance, I figured I had some true input to offer - hope it helps the OP!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM

3,741 posts, read 3,842,774 times
New Braunfels would be the best area IMO.

The Schertz area is perfectly fine, but it feels more suburban and family oriented. In New Braunfels you get Gruene, the bars DT, better shopping, and many more eateries than the other areas listed. San Marcos is just a colege town and bedroom community that feeds Austin. (it also feels more rundown than any other eara listed)

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM

540 posts, read 392,453 times
Seguin gets a bad rap, some of it deserved, some not. We do have the uncanny ability to kill most major chain restaurants and all the good retail is in New Braunfels... but change is supposedly coming. There's not much in the way of medium quality new housing, but there is some. The area just outside Seguin and towards New Braunfels is nice, and still more affordable than NB for similar construction. And the traffic is muuuch better than NB. If you're working in Seguin and only need to go to NB for nightlife/recreation, the traffic alone is reason enough to give serious thought to Seguin. Schertz/Cibolo is awfully crowded and traffic as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
New Braunfels would be the best area IMO.

The Schertz area is perfectly fine, but it feels more suburban and family oriented. In New Braunfels you get Gruene, the bars DT, better shopping, and many more eateries than the other areas listed.
That is something I've noticed, it seems much more family oriented than I'm really looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Marcos is just a colege town and bedroom community that feeds Austin. (it also feels more rundown than any other eara listed)
Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't mind a college town for a year or two (lots of people my age, more nightlife), but the run-down commuter town comment is interesting. Guess I'll have to see it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Seguin gets a bad rap, some of it deserved, some not. We do have the uncanny ability to kill most major chain restaurants and all the good retail is in New Braunfels... but change is supposedly coming. There's not much in the way of medium quality new housing, but there is some. The area just outside Seguin and towards New Braunfels is nice, and still more affordable than NB for similar construction. And the traffic is muuuch better than NB. If you're working in Seguin and only need to go to NB for nightlife/recreation, the traffic alone is reason enough to give serious thought to Seguin. Schertz/Cibolo is awfully crowded and traffic as well.
Traffic SB on 46 is that bad at commuter hours? Huh.

====

One thing I have noticed so far is that rent for comparably equipped apartments is lower in San Marcos than NB, but lowest in Seguin. That'll make for an interesting pro/con when I get closer to making a decision; the difference in rent between SM and NB covers the difference in gas money for the most part... but then there's the intangibles too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or