Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Things are going up little by little here too...will probably always be cheaper than Austin...but inching up right behind them.
We are not right behind them. Downtown Austin condos sell for around $500 a square foot, downtown San Antonio is anywhere between $200-$300 a square foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Pretty darn easy to find rentals around manacke park for around 800 bucks. Puts you near central market, TJs and tons of other shopping centers and such. Look online at 78209 and rentals.

Manacke Park and the area around it are very hit or miss. 200 hundred yards east of the 1800 Broadway you have pure trash.... the back of Manacke park is a whole bunch of apartments renting for the low 400's a month and I would not call it nice or all that safe...

Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
We are not right behind them. Downtown Austin condos sell for around $500 a square foot, downtown San Antonio is anywhere between $200-$300 a square foot.
Did you read what the op posted? They aren't even buying any real estate, nor looking to live downtown. Guess I should've been a little more clear instead of saying "things" and "right". I meant everyday items and to some extent, rent. Yes, Austin will always be more (since a good amount of folks think it the more desirable place to live) but it's inching up here as we grow and will continue to do so.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Did you read what the op posted? They aren't even buying any real estate, nor looking to live downtown. Guess I should've been a little more clear instead of saying "things" and "right". I meant everyday items and to some extent, rent. Yes, Austin will always be more (since a good amount of folks think it the more desirable place to live) but it's inching up here as we grow and will continue to do so.
It was an example that housing in San Antonio is considerably lower then Austin. San Antonio is not right behind Austin. It's nice of you to point out that San Antonio is not immune to inflation.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
It was an example that housing in San Antonio is considerably lower then Austin. San Antonio is not right behind Austin. It's nice of you to point out that San Antonio is not immune to inflation.

Exactly...some people seem to think that it is.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM

348 posts, read 416,093 times
Yeah, seems like inflation's always creeping up more than my pay rate. In Austin, though, it's been more like a spike vs. a creep. Hoping to find the safest, cheapest solution that fits my needs so maybe I can get ahead and SAVE money.
I've thought about trying to buy in SA, but not sure how viable it is to do so if I will likely be leaving and selling in another 5-10 years when I retire. Not to mention, I would very likely be starting a new job, which is always a negative for lenders.

-T.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

163 posts, read 199,122 times
I would say look into the far NW side (I-10 & 1604). Rent out here isn't bad, plenty of places to choose from, and close to a lot of entertainment and shopping. I-10 construction is almost done which will fix the traffic problems that have been caused by the expansion construction they've been doing for 2 yrs. or so. Once that's all the way complete it will be better than it used to be (which wasn't too bad in the 1st place). I think it's really the 1st preemptive road construction this city's ever done.

I saw someone mention Henderson Pass. I would avoid 281 & 1604 like the plague. Doesn't matter that it's not in Stone Oak, you still have to deal with the resulting mess. Even with the interchange, it still sucks up there. Nothing in that area will get better until 281 is a freeway north of 1604, which isn't likely to occur in anyone here's lifetime. Hell the construction on 1604 past Bandera (which is making good progress) will be finished to Hwy. 90 before that part of 281 becomes a freeway.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I would say look into the far NW side (I-10 & 1604). Rent out here isn't bad, plenty of places to choose from, and close to a lot of entertainment and shopping. I-10 construction is almost done which will fix the traffic problems that have been caused by the expansion construction they've been doing for 2 yrs. or so. Once that's all the way complete it will be better than it used to be (which wasn't too bad in the 1st place). I think it's really the 1st preemptive road construction this city's ever done.

I saw someone mention Henderson Pass. I would avoid 281 & 1604 like the plague. Doesn't matter that it's not in Stone Oak, you still have to deal with the resulting mess. Even with the interchange, it still sucks up there. Nothing in that area will get better until 281 is a freeway north of 1604, which isn't likely to occur in anyone here's lifetime. Hell the construction on 1604 past Bandera (which is making good progress) will be finished to Hwy. 90 before that part of 281 becomes a freeway.
I live on Brook Hollow an 281 and takes the same amount time to get to work (Westover Hills) than when I lived in Alamo Heights. That said I would not recommend anything outside 1604 for the traffic weary.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post

I was a little kid but I remember when 1604 and 281 was just like any other low traffic intersection. I think there was a BBQ joint out there too...not much else. You couldn't pay me to live off 281 outside of 1604 or between 1604 and the airport now.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM

348 posts, read 416,093 times
I see somebody mentioned looking to the NW for lower rent.
I was just looking into the crime maps and saw that there was a high concentration of crime to the NorthWest...I am not sure that's a good spot for me to look.
In Kansas City, we used to say, "Never look for a place East of Troost".
In Austin, it's pretty much "Avoid Rundberg Ave."

Important note: School district doesn't matter for me. My kids are grown and gone.
Not sure where I'll be working yet, but likely a tech company like RackSpace.

Really appreciate the help and feedback so far.

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio