Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM

122 posts, read 372,660 times

Advertisements

Just curious, seems the cell phone/texting ban while driving has had no effect. Is the amount of the fine is not enough for people to think twice about getting a ticket. Still see people looking down, weaving, sitting at lights after they turn green. Is SAPD enforcing this? Or is this just additional lack of traffic control/enforcement in SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
The police will continue to let the scofflaws get away with using their cell phones thinking the ordinance is a joke until SAPD figures out a foolproof way to enforce it.....then WHAMMO !!!! You'll hear a bunch of whining and crying.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
I've seen lots of people talking on blue tooths since the ban took effect. It doesn't effect their distractedness, though. When I see hands moving and a slower driver I can automatically tell they are talking on their blue tooth.

Not that I'm a perfect angel, I'll grab my phone every once in a while to see if anyone has texted me while waiting at long lights (like at Bandera and 410) but otherwise it stays in my purse. (Is someone going to come and ticket me by me admitting that?)

Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Actually, I did witness two people get pulled over for cell phone use. I was sitting in traffic last week on the I-10 access road between Huebner and DeZavala. A cop on a motorcycle was slowly going in between cars when he stopped on the right side blind spot of this white Subaru. He looked thru the side window for about 20 seconds, then turned on his lights and pulled her over in the Taco Cabana parking lot.

This past friday, there was a patrol car sitting in the turn lane on DeZavala across from the entrance to Walmart. He was looking at every car that drove by and the ones waiting for the light. While I was waiting for traffic to move, he pulled over a car next to me. I saw her texting as I sat there. Caught myself clapping my hands as the light turned green.....

Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM

Oh, I almost forgot.....if you hit someone or run into something and there's a witness that says they saw you talking on the phone or texting, the police will subpoena your cell phone activity and there will be about a 98% chance that you'll be charged.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
A cop on a motorcycle was slowly going in between cars when he stopped on the right side blind spot of this white Subaru. He looked thru the side window for about 20 seconds, then turned on his lights and pulled her over in the Taco Cabana parking lot.
Jeez, seems like I posted a video like that from New Zealand awhile back where the motorcycle cop was doing exactly that only he had a video camera on his helmet to record the stops. Most replies thought that it was stupid, won't happen here or I'll outsmart the cop. H-m-m-m-m.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM

207 posts, read 320,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Oh, I almost forgot.....if you hit someone or run into something and there's a witness that says they saw you talking on the phone or texting, the police will subpoena your cell phone activity and there will be about a 98% chance that you'll be charged.
Cell phone records won't show if you were using a hands-free device or not so I don't see how they could charge anyone from that.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,161 times
I witnessed a S.A.P.D. officer cruising threw a yellow light, turning,... leaning on his drivers door...smiling on his mobile phone, didn't appear to me to be official police business,...js.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
Cell phone records won't show if you were using a hands-free device or not so I don't see how they could charge anyone from that.
More than likely you wouldn't receive a ticket for using a hands-free device. But if he sees you holding it up to your ear or texting away he'll have proof that you were, indeed, using it at the time of the violation. If they're smart they'll start taking video of the violation in progress.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I witnessed a S.A.P.D. officer cruising threw a yellow light, turning,... leaning on his drivers door...smiling on his mobile phone, didn't appear to me to be official police business,...js.
They'll always claim it was.....js
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio