U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,261 posts, read 19,757,512 times
Default Big Warehouse Fire on West Commerce St.

There's a 3-alarm fire happening now at a paper warehouse on West Commerce. 38 fire units responding, with evacuations and water pressure concerns.

Follow the action from a live stream on KSAT.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:14 PM

3,104 posts, read 5,929,651 times
I saw the smoke from my work!! It must be horrendous

Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM

5,650 posts, read 8,280,569 times
I work in WHMC and when I looked out the window and saw the thick black smoke my initial fear was a plane had crashed on approach to the runway at Kelly Field.

Sure hope the folks in that area head the evacuation warnings, they said they had no idea what was in there, but potential for toxic/hazardous materials issues.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,261 posts, read 19,757,512 times
Here's a photo of the fire posted by a nearby blogger.

behind the dugout Blog Archive San Antonio is on fire… (http://www.tireball.com/behindthedugout/2008/01/10/san-antonio-is-on-fire/ - broken link)

Bill Taylor just showed on KENS how the plume of smoke is showing up on the weather radar. The fire is several miles west of downtown and the smoke is headed nearly due south.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM

3,542 posts, read 5,351,064 times
Yes, if you live on the southside of SA, you may want to limit your outdoor activity if you have sensitive lungs tonight until the particles that the smoke carries are finally diluted.

What a sad situation. I'm glad that, through all of this, there have been no injuries to people.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM

341 posts, read 821,256 times
I drove by there a before Christmas while looking for masa to make tamales. When I saw this place, my first thought was why is this here. Second thought was that it was a potential huge fire just waiting to happen.

Told my wife, remember what I told you when we saw it.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 PM

864 posts, read 1,761,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I work in WHMC and when I looked out the window and saw the thick black smoke my initial fear was a plane had crashed on approach to the runway at Kelly Field.

Sure hope the folks in that area head the evacuation warnings, they said they had no idea what was in there, but potential for toxic/hazardous materials issues.
Our school was evacuated around 4 PM as we are just a few blocks from the fire. So many streets were closed off - street directly in front of the school is a one way - took about half an hour to get to a street where we could turn to actually get anywhere.

Just had to laugh at the hope that people heeded the evacuation warnings, since as we were all trying to leave the area there were people on almost every street corner sitting in lawn chairs and watching the smoke while eating a snack... Or walking through street barricades so they could get closer.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM

378 posts, read 903,330 times
Yeah I saw the smoke from my house and I have a friend that lives right around that area. Does anyone know how it started.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 AM

13,805 posts, read 17,890,710 times
The owner of the place sure isn't impressive.. He had his 19 year old daughter doing the TV interviews and giving out the statements from the family. Not very manly at all if you ask me..

Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 AM

13,553 posts, read 20,679,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The owner of the place sure isn't impressive.. He had his 19 year old daughter doing the TV interviews and giving out the statements from the family. Not very manly at all if you ask me..
Maybe he doesn't speak English? I don't know, I didn't see it, but maybe he had a reason for having her speak for him. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio