U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 01:41 PM

777 posts, read 1,437,237 times

Advertisements

anyone in the area tried out sling TV in lieu of cutting the cord?
I know many of us have cut the cord and gone antenna only, but just curious if anyone tried sling TV and/or if you've had any luck getting the cable companies to offer deals for switching to sling.

long story short, my Uverse bill is getting silly once all the promotions have faded away, so now it's time to look at other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 PM

475 posts, read 969,575 times
Sling TV is a great start as an alternative to traditional cable or satellite (or Uverse). However, it is not perfect and only you can decide if it is worth the current trade-offs for what you watch. For example, although some channels allow pausing of a live stream and the ability to go back and watch anything that was on within the last three days of programming (cloud DVR), this is not allowed on ESPN and certain other channels due to Dish's contract with those channels. There is also some delay issues that might be an issue (e.g. channel is a minute behind cable or satellite).

The good news is that Sling TV offers no contracts and a free 7-day trial so go sign up and see if it works for you.
https://www.sling.com/

On a related note to your other question, I have DirecTV, which is being purchased by at&t, and over the last few months, I had been getting ridiculous offers to switch to Uverse (current Internet only subscriber), so much so that I was ready to switch as it would a good deal cheaper.

Since I was no longer under a contract, I called DirecTV and canceled my service as of the end of my billing period. They tried to give some minimal offers, but I refused as they would be still be much higher than what I price I would get with Uverse. Within days of canceling, but before my billing period ended, they called me back with an offer that actually beat the Uverse offer, and with just a 12 month agreement. Oh, and they threw in NFL Sunday Ticket for this upcoming season. I stayed with DirecTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or