U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:37 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,841,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
After researching this topic, I am opposed to lane splitting. I do not consider it a safe practice. What research I have done indicates that it is not a safe practice and the claims that say otherwise cannot be substantiated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Well, if you consider it unsafe we'd best not allow it!
That is cute how you left out the part of my quote (bold above) that clearly indicated it was based upon research, all of which clearly indicates that lane splitting is not a safe practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Or perhaps we could allow adults to be adults and make their own adult decisions and expect them to understand and accept the potential consequence of them. Rather than this incessant need to make everything safe.

PS: driving is not safe.
Yes driving is not safe. But the potential consequences effect more than just you as the motorcycle rider, who's selfish desire to pass all the other vehicles is also putting those other motorists at risk. Most lane splitting accidents, where a motorcyclist is injured, probably also result in damages to the other vehicles involved as well as the trauma to the drivers who are involved. Your actions effect other people, grow up and quit thinking only of your own selfish desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,841,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
All you car drivers are just biased anyway, your opinion isn't valid on the subject, right CptnRn?
Everyone is entitled to their own personal biased opinion. But no, having one does not mean it has any validity when it comes to the question of whether lane splitting is a safe practice or not. Only data, statistics and studies by unbiased third parties have any validity when it comes to answering that question. From everything I have read lane splitting is not a safe practice.

If you can show me otherwise I'd be interested in considering it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
I already showed you, you just discounted it because it came from a motorcyclist and therefore must be biased.
Since you guys aren't motorcyclists I'm discounting your thoughts as well.
I'm going to continue to put myself in between the lanes every time I'm stopped at a light too, because I know it's safer.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,367,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I have a question for those who ride and have "Lane Split" in the past. Have you ever come up to a situation while "lane splitting" where the vehicles in front of you didn't give enough space to pass, what was your reaction? Would you honk and think "how rude of them!" See, I don't have an issue with the passing, I just think it's a bit too close for comfort. If you "lane split" on the shoulders, I wouldn't have an issue. Does this make sense? Someone mentions that it alleviates traffic, only for folks who started out behind you in the first place and that's only when you finally exit or reach your destination.
Yes, but the problem was the cage drivers saw me slowly putting up between the stopped cars so they made the conscious decision to cut me off, either by opening a door or veering onto the white line, yes I honked my horn, and yes I've kicked a few mirrors off cars

Old 03-23-2015, 01:42 AM

425 posts, read 358,802 times
Keep on kicking !

Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,367,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
Keep on kicking !
I've also added cameras to my bike, front and rear, go ahead open that door, we'll see who wins in court. Quit getting your panties in a bunch over the lane splitters, there will be more every year, and its just a matter of time till its the law

Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've also added cameras to my bike, front and rear, go ahead open that door, we'll see who wins in court. Quit getting your panties in a bunch over the lane splitters, there will be more every year, and its just a matter of time till its the law
I've read that a lot of bikers are starting to do this. Smart move on their part. Full disclosure,I have no dog in this fight.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
I hope that you alpha male motorcycle drivers know for sure that the driver intentionally cut you off before you get your panties in a bunch and kick off mirrors. Even then, doing so just means you have stooped down to their level assuming that the car driver blocked your path on purpose.

As much I hate lane splitting, I would never wish harm on someone by opening a car door or kicking mirrors. I know I am better than that.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM

425 posts, read 358,802 times
I used to ride a motorcycle.

Gave it up after reading too many stories of dead riders (and two friends), all killed by car drivers who "did'nt see him".

No charges filed, EVER. Can't see those little things. Everybody knows that.

Never did attempt any lane splitting, perhaps it would have made all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio