Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 PM

117 posts, read 171,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If the majority of people on the road were using motorcycles, then I can't see lane splitting being allowed either. At that point, it would defiantly be "cutting in line" to do so.
So if the majority of people were on motorcycles you'd expect and require them all to stay in a single file line?

That's a huge waste of space and resources just to protect your feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptrn
I am opposed to lane splitting. I do not consider it a safe practice.
Well, if you consider it unsafe we'd best not allow it!

Or perhaps we could allow adults to be adults and make their own adult decisions and expect them to understand and accept the potential consequence of them. Rather than this incessant need to make everything safe.

PS: driving is not safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
So if the majority of people were on motorcycles you'd expect and require them all to stay in a single file line?

That's a huge waste of space and resources just to protect your feelings.
You missed my point. Generally speaking, a lane is for single file traffic. If you need to move past a slower car or motorcycle, then you pass them in the next lane when it is legal and safe to do so. If you can't pass, then just stay in line. A motorcyclist's time is not more important than someone driving a car.

This is not being "anti-motorcycle". I like them and think they look cool. I would own one but don't think they are safe no matter how hard you try to be safe on one.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
I have a question for those who ride and have "Lane Split" in the past. Have you ever come up to a situation while "lane splitting" where the vehicles in front of you didn't give enough space to pass, what was your reaction? Would you honk and think "how rude of them!" See, I don't have an issue with the passing, I just think it's a bit too close for comfort. If you "lane split" on the shoulders, I wouldn't have an issue. Does this make sense? Someone mentions that it alleviates traffic, only for folks who started out behind you in the first place and that's only when you finally exit or reach your destination.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I waited until it is safe to proceed. Just like if someone doesn't move up so that I can make the turn lane in my car. I wait as patiently as I can.

Is there a little more risk to lane splitting? Perhaps, but I don't believe it is any riskier than any other part of motorcycling. Especially being stuck in the back of the line waiting to be rear ended.

Whether they pass this law or not, I'm going to continue my practice of parking myself in between the lanes at lights.

All you car drivers are just biased anyway, your opinion isn't valid on the subject, right CptnRn?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM

If I drove an old 80's Yugo, I would be afraid of someone rear ending me too but it doesn't mean I get to lane split in it.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Ahh, but we do get to lane split if it's legal, and some of us don't wait until it is. I haven't hurt more than anyone's feeling yet.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM

117 posts, read 171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
You missed my point. Generally speaking, a lane is for single file traffic. If you need to move past a slower car or motorcycle, then you pass them in the next lane when it is legal and safe to do so. If you can't pass, then just stay in line. A motorcyclist's time is not more important than someone driving a car.

This is not being "anti-motorcycle". I like them and think they look cool. I would own one but don't think they are safe no matter how hard you try to be safe on one.
You're so called point was absurd.

A lane is nothing more than paint on a roadway. If the majority of people were riding motorcycles why would that lane still be painted at ~15' intervals? Why would the line you expect someone to stay in still be determined to be the width of a car?

Lastly: Why is it so important to you to tell other people what to do?

I bet it really bothers you when you see people pulling off the highway to the access road when you are stuck in traffic doesn't it?

Old 03-19-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
You're so called point was absurd.

A lane is nothing more than paint on a roadway. If the majority of people were riding motorcycles why would that lane still be painted at ~15' intervals? Why would the line you expect someone to stay in still be determined to be the width of a car?

Lastly: Why is it so important to you to tell other people what to do?

I bet it really bothers you when you see people pulling off the highway to the access road when you are stuck in traffic doesn't it?
I am not telling people what to do. You can do what you want, but how *I* feel about it which I stated many times...you can like it or not.....doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and I never made any reference to the lanes staying as they are if majority happened to be motorcycle riders. Show me where I said that? You are putting words in my mouth now to try to make your point here.

If anything, I think perfect solution would to create smaller motorcycle lanes only for motorcycles (just like the bike lanes) and you guys can lane split in that lane all you want.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Ignorance from a non-rider. Seriously, people like you don't even belong in this conversation.
wait, i have to be a rider to have an opinion on this? LOL you are whats seriously wrong with bike riders and why lane splitting will never happen here

wait in line like the rest of us, maybe drive a vehicle that doesnt belch out more nasty things than a car while youre at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I disagree. Preferential treatment would imply you are giving one person a privilege that others don't get -- which is not the case. Anyone can do it,.
wrong. im in a car. i cannot lane split. your statement is invalid.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
wrong. im in a car. i cannot lane split. your statement is invalid.
Yes you can; just use a motorcycle. Same as if you wanted to use the bike lane, you'd get on a bike.

Your car can't lane split. Just like it can't use the bike lane.

That's really all I'm saying. I just don't agree with the "It's not fair, I'm not getting special privileges and someone else is" sentiment. But you are entitled to your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio