Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times

Advertisements

I know we discuss this topic about once a year. I'm wondering, with all the new resources out there, has anyone come up with a workable solution?

My at&t uverse bill took it's annual hike and after 1 hr on the phone yesterday, they wouldn't get me where I want/need to be.
I currently pay $142 (after taxes) for cable tv (no premium channels) basic phone, and internet (not super fast at all.) The lowest they offered was $147 before taxes and that's just to damn much.
TV- We're not big TV watchers at all. I watch the news in the morning and maybe hgtv before I go to bed. There are a few sitcoms we watch but no deal breakers. However- dh likes to watch sports. And he likes to flip between football games. What are my options here? We are a 2 TV household and both tvs are about 5 years old. (HD)
Phone- it's not mandatory. We both have cell phones... I could give it up if the savings was significant enough.
Internets- we like the internet. Dh thinks what we have right now is too slow and would like it a touch faster. I'm fine with it.

So, based on the above, what are my options? Specifically- dh needing to be able to flip through broadcast sporting games? I've looked into the roku, the HD antenna, sling tv.... but I can't find an answer to my sports question. But ultimately, I think I'm paying too damn much and would like to see it lower. We used to be with TWC, paying about the same, but after going around and around with them, we switched to Uverse to "save money."

I'd like to hear what others are doing and about how much you're paying if you do not mind. I have until March 8 to make a decision :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Well, we're still with UVerse, but...
we pay 141 (incl tax) for U300, and MaxPlus (18 mbps) Internet. (No home phone, we've gone ooma).
That's with a 35/month credit that dh negotiates. We've tried TW, etc., but we like the UVerse features. I'm surprised they're not willing to work with you.

Not sure what would help you out with sports channels, though. That really calls for a live feed.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
My roku 3 has an espn channel. Some games are on every once in a while. I think SportsCenter streams every once in a while. Someone had mentioned sling earlier in the week and they have ESPN, although I'm not sure it's the same as with the roku.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:46 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
You may want to check into Sling TV.
https://www.sling.com/

Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
I'm a cord cutter, with Roku 3 I have slingTV. With sling I get HGTV, ESPN/2, ESPNU, WatchESPN, Disney, CNN. As ged_782 above pointed out, check out the sling dot com. Basic is $20 month, sports extra is $5. There's a kids package for $5, and a news package for $5. They plan to add AMC to the basic package (the $20 above) plus IFC and BBCa - among other stuff as another add-on, probably $5. Sling doesn't yet have 'On Demand' for the packages (as far as I know) but in some cases plan on that being possible. Some complain about the playback quality on ESPN - some jitters, but I just drink more coffee to cure that. ***One caveat to Sling - only one stream per household. This will change to something like $5 for a second stream but it's a new product, they're still ironing out the kinks.***

I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, AcornTV (Brit stuff), Livestream dot com - FREE (various entertainment from ATP Tennis, motorsports, various bands and artists, Lincoln Center, today saw the Detroit Symph with an OMG!!! cello maestro. And I get Bloomberg for news - FREE - Roku app.

You might visit the Reddit forum reddit.com/r/cordcutters or */r/slingtv to read on what others think.

My internet service is TimeWarnerC/roadrunner at 15/1. I'm a serial streamer and have no problems with the service, about $42 month. My service has no data cap and I haven't reached it yet.

Nothing will get you a stream on broadcast TV, you'll need an indoor or outdoor antenna for that. See TV Fool dot com for possible reception at your location.

Being a cord cutter requires you to particpate in your TV options. Changing channels is not a one click and kick back with popcorn. You can build your own TV guide with TitanTV dot com - free.

****** OH YEA... and right now... you can get a seven day free trial. It will require a CC but if you don't want it you can cancel during anytime at no charge. You will see a $00.0 charge on your card. It will bill at end of seven days otherwise.

***** And another two things... Sling is month to month, come and go as you please. No contract, no questions, just a credit card.

**** And RIGHT NOW... if you get three months of SlingTV you can get a ROKU 3 at 50% OFF ! And because you're in San Antonio, I'll show you where to find the ***private*** channels. Private as in not Roku sponsored... not x-rated.

Last edited by metroxian; 03-01-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 04:58 PM

207 posts, read 320,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
My roku 3 has an espn channel. Some games are on every once in a while. I think SportsCenter streams every once in a while. Someone had mentioned sling earlier in the week and they have ESPN, although I'm not sure it's the same as with the roku.
ESPN only works on Roku if you already receive it on cable or satellite.

The problem with sling TV comes if you want to watch the Spurs games on FoxSportsSouthwest. You have to have cable or Sat to get that at this time.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
ESPN only works on Roku if you already receive it on cable or satellite.

The problem with sling TV comes if you want to watch the Spurs games on FoxSportsSouthwest. You have to have cable or Sat to get that at this time.
The ESPN product on SlingTV is entirely independent of any cable offering. SlingTV does not require any cable subscription or other login anywhere other than the actual streaming SlingTV login.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times
I'd do it in a heartbeat I just can't get foxsw without subscribing to cable which sucks.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
I'd do it in a heartbeat I just can't get foxsw without subscribing to cable which sucks.
Yeah, the no Fox Sports is too bad but I've given up on Div I sports, excepting for the College World Series which is always on ESPN. Otherwise, if they want me to see the game they'll find a way to get it on TV.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM

520 posts, read 781,553 times
You can use the NBA League Pass, the annual fee is $99 for all games. NHL and NBL also have annual passes. The holdout and deal killer for many has always been the NFL and the DirectTV - but the NFL now has the Game Pass for streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio