U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,397,397 times

Advertisements

Has anyone every used Direct Buy?

I have never met anyone that has and would be most interested on any pros/con's anyone might have on the place.

Heck, I don't even know where it is located in SA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Never mind...I googled it and don't like what I am reading at all...think I will steer clear of this one. Can't find a positive post at all....

Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM

545 posts, read 2,091,343 times
I considered it, but it just seemed too good to be true...and you know what they say about that.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:26 PM

790 posts, read 3,624,444 times
I don't know about "too good to be true"... but this is definitely not the way to go for anyone who is going to be spending less than $50K on remodeling, etc. My mom saw their commercial and dragged me along to the "special invitation" information session in a small, light-industrial office park near I-10 & DeZavala. We were shut in a room with a video touting the mega-buck savings found on their merchandise, then led around a showroom where ridiculous retail prices were quoted for items that they carried at a supposedly massive discount. Then they said you had to sign up right then and there for membership ($5,000!!!!!!) in order to get access to their catalogs and price lists, and if you left the showroom they would not allow you to join later. (yeah, right...)

It was obvious it was a trap as soon as I saw the group being herded into the video room, but I couldn't leave without my mom so I was stuck. All I can say is that you'd have to be doing a HUGE remodeling/decorating job in order to recoup enough savings to cover the $5000 membership fee and see any additional value. Anyone else would be wise to forget about this high-pressure direct marketing operation.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Thanks Celeste! I actually googled them and looked up about 19 pages of multiple postings...all saying exactly what you said and then some. Seems those folks that DID sign up right then and there were unable to get their membership cancelled within their 3 day buyers remorse period by getting the runaround and no call backs to the number they had tried....and worse yet those that WERE doing big $$$ remodeling had problems with timely delivery (one guy waited 6 months for cabinets and had his workers quit the job waiting for something that was suppose to be in 4-6 weeks)...so even in the posts where big $$ remodeling was being done, they said that high shipping and "handling" fees negated the savings.. Seems a class action lawsuit has been started.

Right RD...it DID look too good to be true...and obviously was. I am not going to even attend that "one day special pass" ...wasted enough time on this one already.

Thanks guys, that is what is great about this forum...we can learn from others mistakes! (and benefit from each others "finds")!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:05 AM

394 posts, read 1,378,613 times
I'm glad someone asked the question about Direct Buy. I see their commercials all the time and when we move we're going to buy some new furniture for our home, so it had piqued my interest. I had no idea it cost $5,000 to join - sounds like a rip-off. You can buy a lot of furniture on sale for $5,000 + what you were going to spend anyway. A friend of mine has purchased several nice pieces of furniture buy going direct to the factory (i.e. in North Carolina). She goes to a furniture store, sees what she wants and records the model number and manufacturer - then she calls a source in North Carolina (as an example), orders and it's shipped to her. It sometimes takes a month or so for her to receive her furniture, but she's told me that she has saved thousands.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 AM

778 posts, read 2,225,765 times
Hey, Lots of good info here. Add me to the list of people who wondered what it was all about.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,618,886 times
Ditto. I've seen their commercials and wondered what the hubub was about. My wife and I have allocated 30k to buying furniture for our new house, so I have wondered if we should have gone the Direct Buy route. Seems like we didn't miss much by not checking them out...

--Dim

Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM

343 posts, read 1,178,335 times
Has anyone heard of a store or stores in Dallas where you can buy discount furniture? I new this guy that bought a condo on S. Padre Island and could not find good furniture at a good price in the valley. So he bought it some store in Dallas and had it shipped to S. Padre.

Some kind of outlet furniture store or stores.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM

61 posts, read 224,255 times
There are the ginormous bigger-than-football arena market buildings, but that is for wholesalers only...you have to have all the city paperwork, sales tax numbers, etc. or know someone...like I do! (he types while sitting on his custom leather sofa and feet on slendous Persian rugs all bought at the markets...) Oh...and you have to be able to know the difference between "new" and "knew"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio