Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:44 AM

948 posts, read 1,838,666 times

Advertisements

Got the new arris one for cable internet and phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM

1,024 posts, read 865,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXSATX View Post
Why should I buy a $150 modem? It's TWCs option to send me one and in 18 months it may be replaced (paid for by then too) Google fiber is coming....

I pay for their services and one of them is to send me one. Theres nothing outdated about the Ubee I finally got.

And yeah KM1174 my life IS oh-so-important, sorry about yours.

Google Fiber is coming, earliest, the end of 2016. That's over a year away. And that's not even a guarantee that it'll roll-out anywhere near your hood. Many folks in Austin are still waiting for availability. It's a slow process.

Yes, you pay TWC for service, but they also are known to provide antiquated, refurb equipment that often times is the cause of slow speeds and replacement. You don't need to spend $150...

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - (SB6183) Retail Packaging - White

You can get a modem that easily handles top TWC speeds for about $100.

As for Ubee, they've never had the best reputation and you often see threads like this one online:

Drop Connections 4-6 times per hour with TWC Ubee ... - TWC Community Forums

Old 07-17-2015, 01:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,434,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
Got the new arris one for cable internet and phone.
What is the model number for it?
If you go to this address in your browser http://192.168.100.1/
Do you see a status page for your modem?

If so, read this page and check those numbers, especially when you find the connection slow.
How to access your Motorola Surfboard modem and understand signal levels.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:02 PM

948 posts, read 1,838,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
What is the model number for it?
If you go to this address in your browser http://192.168.100.1/
Do you see a status page for your modem?

If so, read this page and check those numbers, especially when you find the connection slow.
How to access your Motorola Surfboard modem and understand signal levels.
Ooooh, yeah I get yo the page. The SNR looks good in the mid 30s but the power is from -6 down to -2. Maybe I'll give them another call to see what's going on. Thank you for the link. Very informative.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM

733 posts, read 1,044,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXSATX View Post
Why should I buy a $150 modem? It's TWCs option to send me one and in 18 months it may be replaced (paid for by then too) Google fiber is coming....

I pay for their services and one of them is to send me one. Theres nothing outdated about the Ubee I finally got.

And yeah KM1174 my life IS oh-so-important, sorry about yours.
where did you get $150?

i paid 59.99 for my modem on a target sale. normal price 79.99 and its good with time warner up to 100mbps. the modem thats good for up to 300 (the model above the sb6141) was only 15 bucks more. that will pay itself off in a year vs renting a CRAP twc modem.

UBEE is a crap company that uses outdated firmware/software. there most certainly ARE outdated components in that crap UBEE modem you have. i used to have one. sucked dog balls.

buying a good motorola means you dont have to replace it every 18 months. motorola knows how to make a product. UBEE does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio