Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM

190 posts, read 219,641 times

Advertisements

Dunn Bros. coffee house, which entered the San Antonio market, off of Bandera and 1604, back in Summer has closed. I remember hearing about the grand opening of this place on this very forum, and now, I drove past the other day and it's completely abandoned. I couldn't believe it - they had amazing coffee, great pasteries, and other really good treats, and even sold artwork.

It was kind of like an upscale Starbucks. I'm really disappointed. And another restaurant I liked, Pasion, off of 1604/Stone Oak is also going to close.

It seems like nice things come and go in San Antonio...nothing stays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
Dunn Bros. coffee house, which entered the San Antonio market, off of Bandera and 1604, back in Summer has closed. I remember hearing about the grand opening of this place on this very forum, and now, I drove past the other day and it's completely abandoned. I couldn't believe it - they had amazing coffee, great pasteries, and other really good treats, and even sold artwork.

It was kind of like an upscale Starbucks. I'm really disappointed. And another restaurant I liked, Pasion, off of 1604/Stone Oak is also going to close.

It seems like nice things come and go in San Antonio...nothing stays.
Naaa....your still here!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM

190 posts, read 219,641 times
hahaha . I'll be leaving soon enough.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
This is really old news, by the way.
Dunn Bros. Coffee

Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 PM

That location was not very smart, for one thing. It did not have good visibility, not to mention the 4 Starbucks within a mile or two. There is a SB at Bandera/Guilbeau, one in the SuperTarget, one in the B&N, and one across the street from there as well. People are so hung up on SB!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,796 times
The Starbucks was not the problem (Dunn Bros had a drive through and this gave them a leg up) the problem was visibility. You could drive right by it and never know it was there. I told the owner (a friend of mine) that he needed to put out one of those people that dress up as a coffee mug or something with an arrow that points people in the right direction. They were tucked behind some beautiful large oaks that blocked the view of the front totally. A shame.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Yes, I agree the location was most of their problem, but you'll never convince me that 4 Starbucks didn't have anything to do with their downfall.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes, I agree the location was most of their problem, but you'll never convince me that 4 Starbucks didn't have anything to do with their downfall.

that and that gargantuan coffee grinder that took up 3/4 of the store front and that you could hear a mile away with your doors closed....

(yes, I b**ched about this in the prior thread....)

I'm convinced it was that giant deafening monstrosity.... I'm not kidding - it was truly deafening, and took up clearly HALF the original floor space in front of the counter....

wonder if this guy still has his coffee meetup going..... have to check and see....

Old 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Dunn Brothers aren't the only ones who pick bad locations. The Starbucks at 151/410 is one the wrong side of 151! It would make more sense to open one on the southwestern side (behind the old WalMart) would have made more sense as the majority of commuter traffic is going from 1604 towards San Antonio in the morning. A little research would have easily revealed this...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Yes, the coffee meetup is still going strong, but they are obviously meeting elsewhere now....

The San Antonio Singles Coffee Meetup (2007) - The San Antonio Coffee and Tea Meetup Group (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup.com

same moderator, though - the guy who owned dunn's....
a GREAT sounding place for their next meetup though...
Nivacid's - sounds YUMMMM::::

Coffee and Food!

San Antonio, TX
"Nicavid's Bakery and Cafe

On Saturday we have Egg, Meat, & Cheese Croissants - choose from Sausage, Ham or Bacon - and made to order! Add some Jalapenos or sauteed mushrooms to create that..."

Saturday, Jan 19, 11:15 AM 16 Yes, 8 Maybe
RSVP now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: