U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM

188 posts, read 489,212 times

Advertisements

Saleman, we're moving from Oak Park to San Antonio this summer! We absolutely adore Oak Park and will miss our old home and incredibly diverse neighbors. However, I'm a Texan by birth and need to get closer to my family. Also, my husband got a great job offer to move to Texas. I know that our family will find a community that will become "home" to us. Any other feedback about your experience is appreciated!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 125,126 times
I honestly don't think that San Antonio is the place for single people. Do you have friends here?

I haven't really found that many different places to hang out with different kinds of people.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM

190 posts, read 165,517 times
Do NOT move to San Antonio. This is a working class and blue collar city and there is no "hip" environment or area where educated professionals congregate, so there is definitely not a place you'd find other like-minded people.

I think you'd really like Austin, it's got a very eclectic, bohemian, and San Francisco (particularly reminiscent of Haite/Ashbury) vibe going on.

Lastly, San Antonio is very culturally and ethnically undiverse. Most black people here are in the military, and from my experience, most blacks (particuarly professional ones) are very unhappy in San Antonio and complain abou the lack of diversity.

Hello hit the nail on the head when she said you'd have your mind made up in three hours. It's not for you.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 75,234 times
I'd strongly suggest checking out both cities before settling on one. SA might not be your cup of tea. Austin is more eclectic, funky and has a more vibrant single/social scene. I agree with the poster who asked if you already have friends in SA. THAT will make a big difference. SA is more of a family town. Best of luck on the move!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I will continue to post here because I have that right, and because I know it pisses you off. You clearly are a troll (210 reincarnated), who was banned previously for the same foolishness you continue to post.

San Antonio is a working class and poor city. That's been posted on a number of occassions, and you continue to post "it's not true", while providing not a single source of evidence to support that viewpoint.

You become upset because you know it's true. If I can save someone from making the same mistake I did in moving here, I will. I'm not going anywhere. Deal with it.
Actually the difference is that Insomniac posts about improvements and advances being made in this city. He's hardly a troll. You, on the other hand, have basically just admitted that you post for the sake of antagonizing people while having absolutely nothing positive to contribute.

What I find funny is that you complain about having no intellectual, sophisticated people to hang out with in SA, when the real question is: why would anyone, rich or poor, ignorant or educated, want to hang out with you?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM

83 posts, read 273,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Actually the difference is that Insomniac posts about improvements and advances being made in this city. He's hardly a troll. You, on the other hand, have basically just admitted that you post for the sake of antagonizing people while having absolutely nothing positive to contribute.

What I find funny is that you complain about having no intellectual, sophisticated people to hang out with in SA, when the real question is: why would anyone, rich or poor, ignorant or educated, want to hang out with you?

HAHAHAHAHAH. U GOT EM ON THAT ONE. LOL. IM ROLLIN AROUND LAUGHING RIGHT NOW. SO HILARIOUS. SAN ANTONIO IS A GREAT PLACE. at least for me. i cant say its for everyone. but i dont think this is the place were u want to ask about the city. majority of people on this forum are older or living in the burbs in a house with kids. not a lot of young people on this forum. just being honest. get on myspace or facebook or something. search people in the san antonio area. ask them any questions u might have. u get a lot of the same responses on here. the people who like it most of the time are always saying its great for family and things like that. while that may be true, u got to think of the individuals in this city that arent married and dont have kids and the opinions they might have. you dont get there opinions on this forum, because those people (at least the majority) dont visit this forum. definitely take the responses given here into consideration, but dont think the responses you get here is how everyone in SA feels or that there is no other opinions or info. just my 2 cents

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,986,455 times
As a friend of mine would say... "Free entertainment." In regards to the original post: see a thread dated back to 1/6/8 where Aquajox provides a website that list the top 25 cities to live and ranks them by different categories accordingly. The thread is called "San Antonio: The most affordable (and least stylish) city in America"... I think this website will provide you with some sound information so you can make an intelligent decision based on your preferences and needs.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 PM

ya but who determines these things. i think we got a style like no other. i mean i network and meet and become friends with people in other places. i get people trippin out all the time on the way i talk, dress, think, the way i carry myself. the things i do and the stuff im into. and im born and raised here in san antonio. so i think my home would influence the stuff i do and the things im interested in. i know i cant be the only person in san antonio who has met people from somewhere else and made them want to know were i was from.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 8,781 times
This is my first post here. I stumbled across this board while googling for something else. (Strange how that happens!)

I moved to SATX from the Houston area almost 4 years ago. I still HATE it here!! But then, what do you expect from a town whose unofficial motto is "Keep San Antonio Lame". Which, btw, is a total rip-off of Austin's "Keep Austin Weird" motto.

I miss the diversity of Houston. I miss grocery stores. I loathe HEB!!!!!!!! You want eclectic? You ain't gonna find it here.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow210 View Post
This is my first post here. I stumbled across this board while googling for something else. (Strange how that happens!)

I moved to SATX from the Houston area almost 4 years ago. I still HATE it here!! But then, what do you expect from a town whose unofficial motto is "Keep San Antonio Lame". Which, btw, is a total rip-off of Austin's "Keep Austin Weird" motto.

I miss the diversity of Houston. I miss grocery stores. I loathe HEB!!!!!!!! You want eclectic? You ain't gonna find it here.
i admit. we can definately improve the city. and again its not for everyone. i dont know what people are looking for i guess when they say that san antonio is lame. so what are you looking for? whats the big difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio