U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 103,982 times

Advertisements

I will be in San Antonio for spring break with my boys ages 10 & 11. Besides the obvious places such as the Alamo/Riverwalk, Sea World, and Six Flags, what else is there to see and do? We will be there Mar 27 thru April 2.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM

413 posts, read 1,271,723 times
There is Ripley's believe it or not/wax museum and the zoo. We have laser quest. They can do go karts at Malibu's Castle which are cheaper than Six Flags or Sea World. Malibu Castle also has a batting cage and mini golf.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 AM

41 posts, read 173,952 times
Default Dave & Buster's

We were through there for a couple of days in August and got caught in an incrdible rainstorm so the plans for Schlitterbahn, Sea World, Six Flags, and the others were out so we did Dave & Buster's. Our kids (11, 8, and 6) had a ball! They had a deal where if you bought one of their meals (specific combos) you got $10 worth of tokens. The meals were like $14.99 so it wound up being a great way to get a good meal and an evenings worth of entertainment relatively inexpensive.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM

374 posts, read 862,358 times
Also consider the state parks in the area. Most are within a quick drive of San Antonio and offer anything from history to adventure. My kids really like Pedernales up near Johnson City and Garner near Uvalde. Here is a link to the state website:

TPWD: Find a Park

Another place to look would be the coast down at Corpus. The aircraft carrier is great for kids.
Home - USS LEXINGTON Museum On The Bay

Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks to you all for the info! It is much appreciated! If you ever want to know about the pacific northwest let me know!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,150,880 times
I recommend the Missions National Park if you want to give your kids a little bit of history with their vacation.

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If you're staying downtown and not inclined to drive around, there are bus tours that will take you to each of the missions.

San Antonio tours and regional sightseeing options by Gray Line

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,420,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I recommend the Missions National Park if you want to give your kids a little bit of history with their vacation.

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Also, Mission San Jose has a Mariachi Mass on Sundays at 12:00.

As well, you could head up I-35 and try Natural Bridge Caverns: Welcome To Natural Bridge Caverns Texas

Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,572,352 times
I second the state parks idea. We also have a wonderful State Nature Area, Government Canyon SNA, just a few minutes west of Sea World for some back-to-nature walking/hiking. If you go early on a Saturday, they have guided hikes where the guide will point out local plant and geological stuff.

Something else you all may enjoy is the Nimitz museum and Pacific War Memorial in Fredricksburg. It has great life-size displays and the volunteers do a great job of telling the story of WWII in the Pacific so the kids will understand AND enjoy hearing it. Not to mention the little German restaurant around the corner and the neat shopping.

Also, that's not Spring Break around here - so make sure the Parks are open!! Usually just on weekends until May, I think...

Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM

thanks all!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,738 times
Lightbulb Just a few more ideas...

Another option for a rainy day is Incredible Pizza. For younger kids, I like it better. Dave & Busters has more adult entertainment too.
[url=http://www.incrediblepizza.com/]Incredible Pizza Company - Enjoy our huge all-you-can-eat buffet, indoor Go-Kart Races, Bumper Cars, Route 66 Mini Golf, a huge video game arcade with prizes, Bowling, and more![/url]

Another idea that I didn't see mentioned was the Wildlife Ranch in New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio.
[url=http://www.wildliferanchtexas.com/]Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch[/url]

The Witte Museum is also nice to visit. The dinosaur exhibit just left and now there's a human body exhibit...not sure if that's good for kids! [url=http://www.wittemuseum.org/]Welcome To The Witte Museum[/url]

And of course, there are kids activities at the zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Last edited by SA Mom; 02-25-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: URLs were not usable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio