Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

hello to all,

i'm sure this topic has been covered numerous times. i have searched the forums but cant find any answers for questions i have.

so i'm thinking of moving to san antonio i have done lots research on the area, from homes to jobs. but the only thing i can't seem to find a definitive answer on is the weather. I currently live in northern california which has very dry weather pattern. i understand san antonio has humidity which doesn't bother me. i have talked to a few people that i know have lived in texas they all tell me that san antonio has tornadoes and severe of thunderstorms. i'm just trying to get a perspective of people currently living in san antonio area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:42 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times
You can't find the answers to this? C'mon! Do a search on this forum..been discussed many,many times.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:00 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
March-May can get pretty stormy. We just had a round of pretty rough weather, localized flooding, straight line winds and hail. There were no tornadoes. We are in the tail end of tornado alley (like if you even extend this far I guess). A friend of mine recently moved here from Michigan and has had a hard time adjusting to the severe weather. Yes, there is a chance of tornadoes but you most likely will not have one touch down. We have had them in the distant past (if you call the late 80s distant).

It gets very dry in the summer, yes. But, we do have some tropical storms that come through that mimic the severe weather of the spring. These are primarily prevalent during September/October. Our biggest floods in history have happened during this time.

Just search weather in the search bar and you will find more details on how the weather is.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 21,554 times
Hi,

Compared to northern California, it will be hot. Humid in the mornings and late at night. Most of the summer it is miserable to be outside due to the direct sunlight. Late autumn and early spring are better, but only if it isn't storming and humid. It will feel hot even if the temperature isn't all that high.

Winter here is like autumn in most northern states, except uglier, because the vegetation is low and scrubby.

Not sure why you would want to move here to be honest. As an out of towner myself, and somebody with quite a few close non-native friends, I don't know a single person who has come here of their own volition and actually liked it. Weather is an often cited part of their negative opinion. Obviously, I share their sentiment! I would highly encourage looking elsewhere. This is not a great place to live, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 21,554 times
Also, water availability (closely tied to weather) is becoming a serious problem.

Regards

Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 PM

432 posts, read 521,370 times
Forget the forums
start with weather.gov or google for the historical facts about averages and current trends

I've been all over the country and could have retired anywhere but picked SA one year ago.
Happy with the decision.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:25 PM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView32 View Post
Also, water availability (closely tied to weather) is becoming a serious problem.

Regards
Water avalablity is not an issue.

Boating at area lakes is an issue but not for municipal purposes.

Do we have water restrictions? Yes. Are we running out of water? No.

Last edited by rynetwo; 05-03-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:06 PM

20 posts, read 26,734 times
Default Sa

Unlike a previous poster, my family came of our own volition and love it here. We came from coastal South Carolina where the humidity was worse and the heat comparable. We were in the coastal plains of SC and enjoy being on the edge of Texas Hill Country.

No one can tell you if you will like it. You will just have to check it out yourself.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times
To tell you the truth, we could take it or leave it. There are much nicer places to live in this country (in our opinion) and we'll be relocating upon retirement. For now, we'll stick it out here.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:57 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,377,224 times
Default Hello Back,

A dry weather pattern there? Very similar here.
We do -not- have a lot of violent weather here. A strong hurricane can be pretty bad here, even 150 miles from the coast. The most outstanding characteristic, besides the intense heat, is the flooding that occurs from these occasional torrential downpours. It can rain copious amounts now and then due to San Antonio's proximity to the Gulf.
Low water crossings at dips in rural roadways here can become dangerous when greenhorns try to cross these rapidly moving torrents. This flooding can be very deceiving. Deadly.
Though the water may look shallow enough, as though the car or SUV will make it across, the force of the current will sweep your car away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhillon View Post
hello to all,

i'm sure this topic has been covered numerous times. i have searched the forums but cant find any answers for questions i have.

so i'm thinking of moving to san antonio i have done lots research on the area, from homes to jobs. but the only thing i can't seem to find a definitive answer on is the weather. I currently live in northern california which has very dry weather pattern. i understand san antonio has humidity which doesn't bother me. i have talked to a few people that i know have lived in texas they all tell me that san antonio has tornadoes and severe of thunderstorms. i'm just trying to get a perspective of people currently living in san antonio area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio