U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 19,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Because they teach to the test. A bright kid will really suffer in this environment. I've known quite a few families who settled in the area of the "best" school (every one here told them these were the best, had the best scores) and ended up pulling their kids out and going to private and later charter schools because the high scores were only reflective of the test prep. Not the education.

Beware what you look for. Investigate the school, spend time there, find out how individual classes run, talk to the administration.
The possible schools I'm looking at in areas that I can afford are:
Camelot & Jackson-Kellar Elementary Schools
Ed White & Nimitz Middle Schools

There are so many sites that rate the schools differently, but they seem to just rate below average or average.
I'm so confused, I just want the best for my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow4 View Post

There are so many sites that rate the schools differently, but they seem to just rate below average or average.
'
This was the area I thought you may be looking at. While the ratings are lower then the majority of NEISD, these schools are still good schools. Check some of the ratings for SAISD and you will see that they aren't nearly as bad as they appear. These areas are middle class areas within NEISD. Most middle class neighborhood schools will have similar ratings. Check some of the NISD areas that are within your budget and you will find about the same type of feedback. To get the 10 plus rating of schools like Hardy Oak or anything in Stone Oak you'll be spending 4x your budget.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,752 times
I would go with Camelot and white or Nimitz or anything in that cluster of schools. The general area around Camelot is improving greatly too.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,327 times
There are absolutely great schools in NISD not just NEISD and most definitely are some that are better than some in NEISD. The districts are huge with NEISD spanning from Roger's Ranch way over to Walzem Rd which are very different areas. NISD is similar in differing demographics within the district boundaries. It is definitely better to check the individual school as you are doing.

As to Stone Oak, while you cannot find a house or apartment under $1000, I live across from Stone Oak Elementary and my mortgage on a 2900 square ft house is more like twice not 4 times $1000. You can spend that much but you can also get the same schools and safe areas for a lot less. I realize it doesn't help in this situation but in case someone else is looking there is housing around $200k to be had here.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:04 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,739 times
Also, there are several magnet programs in NEISD, with Nimitz housing one of them (STEM), and Ed White another (DATA). Krueger houses KSAT and iMAK.

If your child attends one of these MS, I would highly encourage them to apply to the magnet program.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM

18 posts, read 19,204 times
Thank you all! You have provided a wealth of information that has eased my concerns.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 AM

892 posts, read 1,591,174 times
Quote:
Want to rent a 3bedroom less than $1000.
Apartment or house? This can be tough as we looked all over Castle Hills and North central to get close to my daughters school(private Catholic). Then when we found a place we left the school

We found a ok apartment 975 month 2 bd in nice area but I don't like this apt complex. Someone keyed my car all the way around, mind you we are sandwiched in 2 very nice house developments. There is much nicer ones around all over here but more pricey. As for schools my daughter got stuck with Eisenhower middle school just for remainder of year, she got accepted to a charter school for next year. But my son got Huebner Elem and it is really good, really like it. Good scores, ratings and even though large they are personable.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 AM

892 posts, read 1,591,174 times
Quote:

I also looked in this area as it was right around the corner from my daughters private school. The houses there are actually nice(but still more than your budget and not too many for rent), but the apts are well, okay-ish. I couldn't do it, but that is just me. I went with a locator and he advised me to head more north of Blanco.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,235,462 times
It's all about your threshold for "bad." If I had kids, I wouldn't send them to Nimitz or Ed White. I attended Nimitz, albeit in the late 90s. There was a lot of fighting, and the education wasn't as good as it was at Garner. Garner isn't even one of the best middle schools in NEISD. I was in honors classes at Nimitz and was way behind in math when I switched to Garner.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:21 PM

123 posts, read 227,249 times
NEISD isn't the only area with good schools in the SA area. There are plenty of great schools in NISD as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio