U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:27 PM

18 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to San Antonio with my two children. Every property I find that I can afford in NEISD, the schools have low ratings, test scores, etc. I've researched & only heard of good things of NEISD. So do I take my chance to keep my kids in NEISD, or is the another school district that has great schools in a more affordable area? My children's school is my 1st priority, then it's finding somewhere to live...PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by csnow4; 03-29-2015 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,556,091 times
Try NISD. Of course, everyone wants low crime and great schools. That demand helps to drive housing prices.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:59 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,522,723 times
There are very few school in NEISD that have low test scores. Even the ones in lower prices neighborhoods. BTW the parent is much more important to a child's education than the school.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,437,766 times
What is your budget?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM

Want to rent a 3bedroom less than $1000.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
There are very few school in NEISD that have low test scores. Even the ones in lower prices neighborhoods. BTW the parent is much more important to a child's education than the school.
I agree, but I want the school safe & doing it's job. I'm always actively involved, I just don't want to move into a disaster...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM

443 posts, read 782,846 times
Quote:
There are very few school in NEISD that have low test scores. Even the ones in lower prices neighborhoods.
Yes, but mainly because they have different standards. If you look into it you'll discover that certain grading practices are left to the discretion of the administration at the school. Because of this, two schools within NEISD carrying the "exemplary" designation can be worlds apart.

Quote:
BTW the parent is much more important to a child's education than the school.
Absolutely! Nothing can replace a parent's attention.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,522,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
Yes, but mainly because they have different standards. If you look into it you'll discover that certain grading practices are left to the discretion of the administration at the school. Because of this, two schools within NEISD carrying the "exemplary" designation can be worlds apart.
You'll have to explain how an exemplary rating (which is based on standardized tests) can mean having two very different schools. In fact I would say that a high rated school with more lower income students would be the better school.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,381,232 times
Quote:
There are very few school in NEISD that have low test scores. Even the ones in lower prices neighborhoods.
Because they teach to the test. A bright kid will really suffer in this environment. I've known quite a few families who settled in the area of the "best" school (every one here told them these were the best, had the best scores) and ended up pulling their kids out and going to private and later charter schools because the high scores were only reflective of the test prep. Not the education.

Beware what you look for. Investigate the school, spend time there, find out how individual classes run, talk to the administration.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Because they teach to the test. A bright kid will really suffer in this environment. I've known quite a few families who settled in the area of the "best" school (every one here told them these were the best, had the best scores) and ended up pulling their kids out and going to private and later charter schools because the high scores were only reflective of the test prep. Not the education.

Beware what you look for. Investigate the school, spend time there, find out how individual classes run, talk to the administration.
I live out of state so I won't be able to assess these things until after the move and we are already registered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio