Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM

479 posts, read 801,122 times

Advertisements

OK, as an off-shoot to a previous question where I mentioned that I was looking for a new home in the San Antonio area for my daughter to live in, I'm seeking opinions on new home builders. In my previous post, a couple people mentioned they weren't very fond of KB homes. Being in California, I'm familiar with KB homes and they popped up in an internet search so I gravitated in that direction when I saw they had a housing tract in the area where my daughter currently lives.

So my daughter is an Army nurse at BAMC and would prefer to live on the Northeast/East side of town and/or within 20 minutes of BAMC. She currently shares an apartment with an Air Force nurse in Live Oak. Anyway, being in California and not having the time or inclination to come out to San Antonio to look at 100+ homes to find "just the right one", I was looking at specifically new homes. I can pick my upgrades, get a new home warranty, won't have to get in a bidding war, etc...

So I know at least a few people don't like KB homes. Can anybody else chime in on what "mass" home builder you like or don't like? Anybody out there super happy in their KB home? Ryland? Weakley? Centex? I'm open to pretty much all options but we're trying to keep our budget at $200K so let me have it. The good, the bad and the ugly!! Thanks for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
If you are trying to stay at or under 200, Ryland and David Weekly are probably out. Centex is probably what you are looking for, as is probably Imagine.

i would suggest, however, enlisting the services of a Realtor, particularly since you are coming from out of town.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 PM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
Centex and Bella Vista build in that area. Definitely a recommendation before KB, Armadillo, etc.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Northeast crossing is in that area, several different builders. Although you don't care about schools you'll want North East ISD schools the homes will have better resale value than Judson school homes.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Ryland, KB and Centex.... Forget them.

Homes under 200k | Houses under 200k | San Antonio Tx Real Estate

Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 PM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
need4speed,

Those homes have "UNKNOWN" listed under BUILDER INFO!

Nice try though

Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
There are several nice properties in Universal City, near the Olympia area in zip 78148. Nicer than Live Oak, and only a few more minutes added to the commute. I saw 2 properties under $200K on Laurel Canyon Dr, in the Sub Olympia Oaks. I lived in that area for several years. Great neighborhood for walking, jogging, and amenities up at The Forum. 3 miles to Randolph AFB. I worked at Fort Sam, but did everything else military at Randolph (commissary, PX, gym). The gym is only a few years old and is exceptional. As an alternative to I35, I would commute on FM 78. The UC fire and police department are close by and very good crews. I enjoyed living in that area.

Pay close attention to the foundation on that side of town. The soil is clay and your foundation can shift and crack with enough significance to affect the house--doors binding, drywall splitting, floor tiles shifting...I followed the builder recommendation on keeping a uniform soil moisture and had only minor problems attributable to the normal settling that most houses experience. You can find more on this forum about the soil effects on buildings on the east side of San Antonio.

I wanted to move back into that area when we returned in 2012, but our friends told us the traffic around there had become worse with the sprawl around 35-1604. It is very congested, but so are many places on the northern half of the San Antonio area.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Ive got a Centex home, it was a inventory home. Ive been here for two years house was standing 6 months or so before we moved in, havnt had a single issue.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Ive got a Centex home, it was a inventory home. Ive been here for two years house was standing 6 months or so before we moved in, havnt had a single issue.

At that price I would second Centex. My sister is in Hanover Cover and her house has had no issues. (3 years)

Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
From what I've seen, KB (and other tract builders) 'quality' is directly proportionate to price point. Better exterior materials, higher interior finish level, more attention to detail, etc etc. I wouldn't expect that they'd skimp on foundations in the lower priced developments, but you can pretty well bet they'll save a buck anywhere else they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio