U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-15-2008, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 22,254 times
Default Good piano teacher, please recommand?

I'm looking for a piano teacher for my 6 year old son. He will start from the begining. Can somebody recommand a teacher good with the kid? Thanks!

Unread 01-15-2008, 11:10 PM

41 posts, read 126,163 times
Smile Finding a good piano teacher

Might I recommend this website Home Check resources under finding a music teacher. You should be able to plug in your zip code and type of instrument (piano) and find a list of teachers that are available. These teachers are accredited which I have learned the hard way is important. We spent a year and a half unlearning some bad habits that my son had developed as a result of his lesser experienced teacher (she was sweet, but not of the caliber that his current one is). Of course, accreditation is not the only thing that is important, interview the teacher, attend a recital if you can, ask if his/her students participate in music festivals of programs such as the piano guild auditions. Lastly, chemistry between your child and the teacher is exceptionally important, as well as what is expected of you as the parent.

I hope this helps. Congratulations on your son's love of music. It's a gift that will last a lifetime!

Unread 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Threeactingup,
Thanks for the reply, that's a good resource to know. I'll check it out. And thanks for the advices. That's exactly what I concerned. I don't want him to develop bad habits from the beginning. As to the piano, do you think a digital piano will be suitable for a beginner like him?
Thank again!

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:53 AM

We got a digital piano to start our kids on. But, it has weighted keys. It was good for the first couple of years but now we really need to upgrade to a traditional piano. Here's the thing though, a good digital piano is as much or more than a used upright. We are a military family and a digital was far more portable; which was the reason we made that choice but if we were "settled" I would have purchased a traditional upright. I have seen used pianos on Craigslist and music stores allow you to rent them which eliminates this huge piece of furniture if your child decides that he would rather play cello.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Unread 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Default American College of Musicians

One other resource, The American College of Musicians is based out of Austin you may contact them at pianoguild.com or 512-478-5775 for a recommendation for a locally accredited teacher. This is the group that organizes and adjudicates the annual piano guild auditions.

Last edited by threeactingup; 01-16-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: grammatical error

Unread 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Thank you so much for all the kind replies. I did thought about buying a used pianos on Craigslist. But I don't know how to have it checked by somebody really knows piano.(Since I have no clue about piano.) The reason I choose digital is because I don't know how long my son will stick to it. If he really likes to play piano, maybe we'll get a better one later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio