U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 7,301 times

Advertisements

So my family n I currently live in Long Island, NY. Nice, quiet suburb area with low crime. We have two young beautiful girls (not far from teen status) and are tired of the snow. (I grew up in NY by the way)
We are all Spanish descendants in fact my wife's English is not great, so we are definitely considering a border town.
We have been doing research and in fact have family in the McAllen area.
My wife n I were in SA couple of weeks ago but just for a day since we spent most our time in Mcallen. We loved Mcallen but seems small, underpay, not too much work and too close to Mexico. I'm a truck driver so I would like to stay local and San Antonio seems like the best option, but I see that it's very high on crime, even got an F on areavibes.com. In fact when we were there and I asked the locals what the good and bad areas were, they gave me a map, crossed a line right on the middle and said, "stay away from the middle and south" north is u'r best bet" I thought it was funny but everybody seemed to agree, reaserching the Web and a couple of apps, it seems that all SA as issues even more than Ny. Can anybody please give us some insight.
Another thing we noticed was that we saw a lot of roads and businesses, not much residential or suburb areas, maybe we didn't look hard enough?
Thanks, yours truly, worried dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
I would definitely choose San Antonio over the border towns. There are enough Spanish speakers in San Antonio that your wife will have no trouble communicating in most places. It's close enough to McAllen that you can visit relatives there when you want to, but there are more jobs in San Antonio, better access to doctors, more stores and restaurants, more things to do, just a better place to pick.

A lot of people will say the only safe place to live is on the north side (especially people who live on the north side ) . That's not really true. There's property crime all over town. Lock your doors, park in your garage, leave your outside lights on all night, do things like that to make your house less of a target. But it's the kind of crime that's typical in any big city.

There are plenty of suburbs and residential areas. If you're just driving the highways around downtown, all you'll see are roads and businesses. You have to drive further out to find more residential areas.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
SA has an above average amount of property crime. If something valuable sits in your yard or your vehicle, in certain parts of town, it is almost certain to be stolen. If you move to one of those parts of town, you'll figure this out quickly when your stuff disappears!

Most violent crimes seem to be between people who know or are related to each other. If your friends and relatives aren't the kind of folks who would assault each other, and you use common sense about your surroundings, this likely won't be something to worry about here.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:45 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,772,448 times
I know you're looking at San Antonio, but before you decide you might also want to visit Corpus Christi. It's not like the border towns, but it's not a big city, either. Plenty of Spanish-speaking people and lots of jobs for truckdrivers right now.

Like San Antonio, there's a fair amount of property crime, but not a lot of violent crime unless you're a criminal (drugs, gangs, etc.)

Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhian View Post
So my family n I currently live in Long Island, NY. Nice, quiet suburb area with low crime. We have two young beautiful girls (not far from teen status) and are tired of the snow. (I grew up in NY by the way)
We are all Spanish descendants in fact my wife's English is not great, so we are definitely considering a border town.
We have been doing research and in fact have family in the McAllen area.
My wife n I were in SA couple of weeks ago but just for a day since we spent most our time in Mcallen. We loved Mcallen but seems small, underpay, not too much work and too close to Mexico. I'm a truck driver so I would like to stay local and San Antonio seems like the best option, but I see that it's very high on crime, even got an F on areavibes.com. In fact when we were there and I asked the locals what the good and bad areas were, they gave me a map, crossed a line right on the middle and said, "stay away from the middle and south" north is u'r best bet" I thought it was funny but everybody seemed to agree, reaserching the Web and a couple of apps, it seems that all SA as issues even more than Ny. Can anybody please give us some insight.
Another thing we noticed was that we saw a lot of roads and businesses, not much residential or suburb areas, maybe we didn't look hard enough?
Thanks, yours truly, worried dad.
North is not the only safe area of SA and it is certainly not the safest either. Crime, (esp property crime) happens in the NW and N side. I have had my car broken into twice in the past 10 years and both times it happened on the North side. Nothing was stolen other than the change in my cup holder because there was nothing to take of high value.

Crime happens everywhere and while I agree that we have high crime here, I just disagree that the north side is more immune to it. That is "white flight" people talk.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM

37,731 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Hola! Please read some informative stuff in the sticky (top of the San Antonio forum).
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM

464 posts, read 659,409 times
Former New Yorker here from Greenhaven (Rye). We have 3 daughters, 2 teens and one 6 year-old. We moved here in the late 90's and like it.

We too were fed up with the snow, taxes, etc. There is some property crime in SA but as others have posted above, it is about average.

Just exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings the same as you would anywhere. The best advice I can give is to assimilate; locals don't want to hear how it's done back in NY

You will notice a definite difference in the Italian food here vs. NY. Some items commonly found on restaurant menus in NY are mysteriously absent here, but you'll survive.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 PM

I wanna thank everyone for taking the time and answer my questions. There seems to be a lot of breakins from what I understand, I know that nobody is exempt but I guess the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know you're looking at San Antonio, but before you decide you might also want to visit Corpus Christi. It's not like the border towns, but it's not a big city, either. Plenty of Spanish-speaking people and lots of jobs for truckdrivers right now.

Like San Antonio, there's a fair amount of property crime, but not a lot of violent crime unless you're a criminal (drugs, gangs, etc.)

Thanks Marlow, I have research Corpus but it seems more isolated/small and I don't know, less improved I could be wrong but again reading upon it, SA seems better to raise a family but like I said, I'm concerned about the crime seems to be more than some areas of Ny.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
If you have hazmat endorsements and have experience with a fuel truck, holler - can likely get you hooked up with someone......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio