Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,743 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've lived here for almost 18 years and I don't speak Spanish. I've lived inside Loop 410 in the med center/Maverick neighborhood for five years and STILL don't speak Spanish. It isn't necessary at all. You may run into people who are reluctant to speak English, but that has only happened to me when I'm on the south side at that little pottery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Once a week isn't effective at all (IMO). Not sure if our school will be applying for any of the state funding, but our 2nd grader will start Mandarin privately anyway. Having certain family that speak "Spanish only" and "English only" and the rest Bilingual is very good for him. Spending his summers in MX with his grandma really immerses him. It's such an advantage to have 2 languages essentially out of the way and ready for his third.
He doesn't have any accent and when in summer camp this past year (MX), they (the other kids) couldn't believe that he lived here in the US. So wonderful to learn when young.

I agree once per week is not enough, but that's all that was possible. I don't think it was useless though, as it gave exposure to the language and culture. My child still remembers much of the Chinese (not sure which, I think Mandarin) in K & 1st grade in those sessions, she also learned a lot about the culture. At the very least it spurred a desire to learn more.

We're already a bilingual household and Spanish is the kids' 3rd language. As much exposure when they're young as possible, the better. I wish I had had that opportunity instead of this "We're in America, speak English only" nonsense. Learning another language as an adult is so hard, and while I've always managed to get by whilst traveling and living abroad, the more of a language I knew, the more engaged I could be. I envy my kids!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I agree once per week is not enough, but that's all that was possible. I don't think it was useless though, as it gave exposure to the language and culture. My child still remembers much of the Chinese (not sure which, I think Mandarin) in K & 1st grade in those sessions, she also learned a lot about the culture. At the very least it spurred a desire to learn more.

We're already a bilingual household and Spanish is the kids' 3rd language. As much exposure when they're young as possible, the better. I wish I had had that opportunity instead of this "We're in America, speak English only" nonsense. Learning another language as an adult is so hard, and while I've always managed to get by whilst traveling and living abroad, the more of a language I knew, the more engaged I could be. I envy my kids!

Yes, so much more opportunity for them nowadays. He's so excited with regards to learning Mandarin and he'll most likely move on to Italian thereafter (as that's where my side of the family originates and we have relatives still living). Hope he never stops learning!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default Agree with fries and ketchup,

One can isolate one's self completely from the Spanish language here in San Antonio.
Except for very occasionally english is entirely is spoken.
In the construction building trades sometimes spanish is spoken exclusively amongst the crews and a
translator is definitely needed.
Spanish speakers can also isolate themselves from English, too. A person can get by here by knowing only Spanish or English.
German is still spoken in the Hill country sometimes by older residents of German derivation. I once had some business dealings in the early eighties in New Braunfels with a guy about twenty years older than I in whom it was easy to note- still carried a heavy German accent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesncatsup View Post
You won't need it to survive here. Any reputable place here will speak English. All the schools are English, etc. Can't think of a reason why it would be necessary for the most part. It is America. But it never hurts to know what the person beside you is saying.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM

520 posts, read 781,760 times
Should you? Yes, of course. Do you have to? No, even if you don't speak a lick you'll pick up enough to get through those day-to-day interactions where you might need/want it. That said, speaking it is fun and knowing what people are saying around you can be enlightening, especially when they assume you don't understand.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
One can isolate one's self completely from the Spanish language here in San Antonio.
Except for very occasionally english is entirely is spoken.
In the construction building trades sometimes spanish is spoken exclusively amongst the crews and a
translator is definitely needed.
Spanish speakers can also isolate themselves from English, too. A person can get by here by knowing only Spanish or English.
German is still spoken in the Hill country sometimes by older residents of German derivation. I once had some business dealings in the early eighties in New Braunfels with a guy about twenty years older than I in whom it was easy to note- still carried a heavy German accent.
There is actually a rather big dividing line around German speaking. People born before 1940 or so were more likely to learn German than those after 1940.

My Father is an example of that he is the youngest of 12 but learned much less German than his older siblings.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,704 times
It may not be a requirement to speak Spanish, but it is a definite advantage in the workplace. I deal with many clients from Mexico. They are more at ease and in a buying mood when I converse with them in Spanish. A while back I worked in a call center. The employees who were fluent in Spanish were paid a hefty differential. When it comes to finding employment, bring a gun to a knife fight. Being bilingual will definitely be an asset.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,077 times
m0gwai...If I were you, I would brush up on the Spanish and definitely provide opportunities for the little tikes to learn Spanish. Think of the future. Consider the demographic trends, and the need for employment your little tikes will have one day.

Even in recent years, my son, who is in his 20s, and has a degree in criminal justice, wasn't able to bid on quite a few jobs he was interested in because being fluent in Spanish was a requirement for some of those jobs. I don't think we'll see that trend reverse.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,997,958 times
Very interesting thread.

I was born here and have never had a need for speaking Spanish. I do find it amazing how many Spanish heritage / Mexican american ( ?) people I run into that their parents never learned to speak English, yet they never learned to speak Spanish.
My dad was Air Force and we went overseas a lot. The first thing we did in a new country was learn the language. As kids it's easy and makes it fun. Not that I remember any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio