U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

418 posts, read 1,111,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
The whole reason schools administer the standardized exam is b/c it is an "indicator as to the success of someone in grad school." I have proven them wrong! My GPA is grad school is that of people who did great on the exam if not higher.
I wouldn't call them "indicators to success". They are tests used to weed out students that are weak on logic. Basic standardized logic doesn't make someone a great grad student, but its a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 PM

957 posts, read 3,090,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
I wouldn't call them "indicators to success". They are tests used to weed out students that are weak on logic. Basic standardized logic doesn't make someone a great grad student, but its a good start.
If you read literature on what the purpose of it is, that is what's stated. It's not about testing logic. To test weak logic is the purpose of the LSAT.

"Studies continue to show that only one factor predicts success in graduate business school better than the GMAT exam: combining the GMAT exam with undergraduate GPA."

That quote comes right out of www.gmac.com

Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,452,756 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call them "indicators to success".

Standardized exams certainly *ARE* indicators of success. But they are not PERFECT indicators of success. But then again, nothing is perfect, is it?

Those who dismiss standardized exams either don't understand or choose to ignore their powerful predictive ability. Those who place *all* emphasis upon standardized exams overlook the fact that no measure is a perfect indicator of academic success.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM

957 posts, read 3,090,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Standardized exams certainly *ARE* indicators of success. But they are not PERFECT indicators of success. But then again, nothing is perfect, is it?

Those who dismiss standardized exams either don't understand or choose to ignore their powerful predictive ability. Those who place *all* emphasis upon standardized exams overlook the fact that no measure is a perfect indicator of academic success.
Very well put.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,111,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post

You are crossing a dangerous line by using correlations.

A white and/or asian, male, with parents of high income / high education, have a high success rate in college.

That may be a better predictor than GRE's itself. Yet, I do not classify those characteristics as "indicators of success".

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,452,756 times
Quote:
You are crossing a dangerous line by using correlations.
No, I would suggest that you are making a false assumption that correlation indicates causation. As the classic statistics classroom example of "the rooster crows, and then the sun rises" correlation example indicates, just because two variables are covariates does *not* mean there is a causal relationship between the variables (i.e. the crowing does not cause the sun to rise). Covariate relationships can, however, be *very* accurate indicators (i.e. "The rooster is crowing. There's a high likelihood the sun will rise.")

High standardized test scores certainly DO NOT cause someone to be successful in, say, law school. But test scores are very frequently (i.e. not always, but often) predictors of success. And that's exactly why virtually all universities use them.

And as another poster previously mentioned, high test scores + GPA have been found to be the best predictors of academic success (certainly much better than any socio-economic indicators)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or