Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 31,849 times

Advertisements

My husband may take a position around S A Seguin area We will rent for one to two years first. I'd appreciate info on family friendly neighborhoods, non-denominational community churches,and homeschool co-ops. Our budget would be around 1,200- 1,600 for a 3/4 bedroom with a pool and air conditioning as our kids know 70 = summer here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 AM

7,116 posts, read 11,780,219 times
Look towards Lavernia/St. Hedwig, Geronimo and New Braunfels areas. Wouldn't live IN Seguin on a bet.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 AM

8 posts, read 9,634 times
Hey you Redneck - I live in Seguin and I love it! ;}~ You'll have to PM me why I shouldn't live here. Seriously: PM me. I live outside of town, though. So, zfam, I couldn't tell you which neighborhoods are family friendly or not. There are some nice looking neighborhoods. It sure is a good idea to rent for a while first - there is just SO much to take into consideration. Especially since Texas is so very, very different from Seattle! If you can, and you don't mind, you might want to rent in a nice gated apartment complex. Then you have a pool and security and you might used to your new town more comfortably. In Seguin, there seems to be a pretty thriving Home School community. I know they occasionally have events at the public library.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,319,553 times
Seguin is fine. They have a few new home options just north of I10 and a few apartment complexes on the eastern side of town.

La Vernia is smaller but now has many amenities and is definitely more upscale than Seguin. New home stock is hard to come by under 250k.

New Braunfels is nice and with both more amenities and all kinds of housing. The only draw back is the traffic but it tends to be worse in the summer.

All three areas are growing rapidly and more shopping and food options keep popping up. The area between Seguin and New Braunfels is almost connected in terms of development.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 PM

4,735 posts, read 3,172,678 times
The Seguin school district isn't known as one the better ones locally... but the Navarro district just north of town is. We had a house in 'old' Seguin for a few years before moving out of the city proper. No kids in school so that wasn't important to us. In my opinion, the schools are the only real problem.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 AM

733 posts, read 1,044,308 times
given the choice, seattle is the better of the 2. id rather stay there... only thing keeping me in this hot ass state is the outstanding gov't benefits we get >.>

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM

948 posts, read 1,249,599 times
Where abouts is his employer? I think in the area around Schertz-Cibolo there are houses in thatprice range. There are brand new appartments on FM3009 near FM78 and also at IH35 and Schertz parkway. He could always commute to Seguin its about 20 miles away. A lot of people like the Schertz School District and we are building the new Cibolo Valley Elementary on Green Valley Road and FM1103. Schertz has a YMCA, and a nice library.There is a large city park with a pool and there are also soccer and baseball fields. There is also the Buffalo Valley Youth Association etc. There is an H.E.B.Plus store and Walmart in Schertz,and they are building a Walmart in Cibolo.Cibolo is getting a CVS Pharmacy,which is funny since there is on 3009.H.E.B. Plus now has inside the 3009 Cafe and Bar which is open 7 days a week. there are various restaurants in town. It's not that far to drive to New Braunfels,about 12 to 15 miles.There is Creekside and Alamo Draft House theatres in town.You also have access to Schlitterbahn,voted one of the best waterparks in the country. They also now have a brand new drive in theatre called Texas Star Drive In. I go to the movies usually at the Regal Cinema Live Oak 18 theatre. San Antonio is about 20 miles away.They have a new aquarium in town plus various museums and the botanical garden.Lots of parks,etc.
I gotoGood Shepherd Catholic and we are looking to build another church building. A co worker goes to Everyday Fellowship I think its called in Cibolo.They have activites for families and kids. They recently did an easter egg hunt and other activities open to the public. I really don't know too much about the nondenominational churches as you can see.
It does get really hot here in the summer time and you will have to deal with mountain cedar and oak pollen,allergeies can be a problem.But it isn't a bad place to live. There are various day trips to the towns around here and state parks are close by.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 31,849 times
It could be Caterpillar. Schools are not a concern. Living in a non-hoa is a must, since we have toys ( boat, camper. )
Thank you all very much.
I will pm you Gw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio