Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 PM

66 posts, read 165,713 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor shoots and kills birds in his back yard with a BB-pellet gun. He has been doing this for many years. I hear him all the time and dead birds have fallen in my back yard. When my Labs were alive they were scared of the noise the gun made. I don't have any pictures or evidence like that, but know for sure that he does this.
I am a animal lover and attract birds to my yard to enjoy and photograph them.
Should I ask him about it first? Call police/code compliance? Trying to avoid confrontation with neighbor but feel this is absolutely wrong. By the way he is a 50 something year old man, not a young kid fooling around.

Thanks for comments and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Are you in the city, one of the suburbs or out in the county? Each possibility will have a different answer.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,513,532 times
if they're grackles or mocking birds I think I'd thank him....

Ok, seriously. I love birds and we used to have bird feeders (and still have some hummingbird feeders), and I'm totally anti-gun and my household is vegetarian, but I do hate grackles and mocking birds who destroy my garden.

Anyway, depends where you are, as there are different rules for shooting...

Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
if they're grackles or mocking birds I think I'd thank him....

Ok, seriously. I love birds and we used to have bird feeders (and still have some hummingbird feeders), and I'm totally anti-gun and my household is vegetarian, but I do hate grackles and mocking birds who destroy my garden.

Anyway, depends where you are, as there are different rules for shooting...

I'm in the City of San Antonio.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Are you in the city, one of the suburbs or out in the county? Each possibility will have a different answer.

City of San Antonio.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
Why have you waited years to tend to this issue if it bothers you so much?
Contact City Hall and ask them what the ordinance is regarding this issue.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCamper View Post
City of San Antonio.
Call the SAPD Non-Emergency Number at 210.207.7273 and ask if this is an ordinance violation.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 AM

50 posts, read 51,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Call the SAPD Non-Emergency Number at 210.207.7273 and ask if this is an ordinance violation.
I've already dealt with this myself. As far as City of San Antonio ordinances go, you're SOL. You're better off talking to your neighbor about it, politely. San Antonio ordinances regarding air/spring guns below:

https://www.municode.com

Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,392,084 times
Have you ever talked with your neighbor?

The last thing I ever want to see is a Prius driven by a morbidly obese, uneducated city code compliance officer drive up in front of any home.

My neighbor had an issue. He had Mexican honey bees in his huge oak tree. Someone claimed being stung, no proof of such sting ever offered by the city. Complainant NEVER talked with my friend.

All the while walkers, bikers and strollers walked under his tree day after day with no issues.

The bees were removed at the homeowner's expense.

The men involved in removing them schooled me that these bees were totally non agressive and the complaint was probably a hoax or caused by the complainant irritating the bees.

They told me that there had been several attempts to educate the city employees as to the docile nature of these bees but the attempts at education were not desired.

Talk with your neighbor first.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,704,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Have you ever talked with your neighbor?

The last thing I ever want to see is a Prius driven by a morbidly obese, uneducated city code compliance officer drive up in front of any home.

My neighbor had an issue. He had Mexican honey bees in his huge oak tree. Someone claimed being stung, no proof of such sting ever offered by the city. Complainant NEVER talked with my friend.

All the while walkers, bikers and strollers walked under his tree day after day with no issues.

The bees were removed at the homeowner's expense.

The men involved in removing them schooled me that these bees were totally non agressive and the complaint was probably a hoax or caused by the complainant irritating the bees.

They told me that there had been several attempts to educate the city employees as to the docile nature of these bees but the attempts at education were not desired.

Talk with your neighbor first.
Perhaps someone close to the tree is deadly allergic to the bee stings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: