U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 PM

60 posts, read 289,355 times

Advertisements

Well, I'll agree with Silver Creek. My kids only went to military schools their whole life until a few years ago (they were in 7th, 8th, and 10th) and there was a HUGE difference.

Military schools: They related to everyone, kids were overall good (not perfect), didn't have to worry much about drugs (not saying they aren't there...just less).

Public school: We're in the BEST school in our area (WA state) and now we have to worry about the friends they have, drugs, gangs, and they've had a difficult time trying to fit in with kids that have all grown up together. There are no military kids that they know of.

So, definitely check around before deciding which school and which area to move to. The best school off base may not be the right school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,346,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I signed up for the waiting list before I moved here and was finally accepted about 18 months after arriving and that was 6 months after I had closed on my house.
With the affordable market here, I'd definitely buy instead of live on base. Although the Lackland school system is by far the best in the city.
Buying an affordable house is easy. The hard part will be selling the house in 3 years if the market has too many houses for sale (including new ones). If you do not plan to stay here, renting would be better.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Buying an affordable house is easy. The hard part will be selling the house in 3 years if the market has too many houses for sale (including new ones). If you do not plan to stay here, renting would be better.
The first time we PCS'd here, we bought and sold over a period of less than three years and still made a small profit of a couple of thousand dollars. Considering we would have tossed over $36,000 away in rent during the same time period, I was even willing to take a loss if necessary as even with taxes and what not I felt I would still come out ahead. I know some people prefer it, but I am of the mindset that all you do when you rent is pay someone else's mortgage for them. And I have been on the other side of the equation, having rented out two properties outside of Baltimore for about ten years before selling them. Not only did I get some nice tax breaks, I made a sweet profit that I wouldn't have gotten had I sold them outright. There are risks involved, but even if you take a loss you can write it off on your taxes.

Plus, if you time it right and roll the profits from selling one property into the purchase of another, you can forgo paying taxes on said profits. So, do your homework, plan accordingly and you might find that buying a house will be a profitable investment whereas there is no chance you will ever come out ahead when renting.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,182 times
Airman Scott Village has larger homes, but can be difficult to get in to. Know many people in there and they have been happy in their homes. Do have bugs and sometimes have animals in the walls, but overall it's the best place to be in at Lackland. We lived in Medina on Lackland Annex. They are quite small and many have severe problems with scorpions and snakes -- one of the reasons we moved off base. The neighborhood has a pool though, which was a plus. Officer housing on Medina is a nice neighborhood, but very old units. Know of people in there who have had foundation problems, water leaks, etc...

After our experiences at Medina, I will never live in military housing again. Along w/ scorpions, which mgmt never did anything about, one of their disgusting landscapers mowing the lawn nearby walked onto our back porch and exposed himself in front on me and my daughter while he peed all over our barbeque. Again, mgmt did nothing.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 AM

13 posts, read 75,400 times
Well Is official we have orders to move this summer. We are thinking of buying a house, can anybody suggest any places where we can find a house with at least 5 rooms. Where is the best area to live and not to far for Lackland? Thanks everybody for all your help.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,334,187 times
I would look in Trophy Ridge. I'm not sure what your home budget is, but it is a beautiful neighborhood and close to Lackland.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,433,607 times
The Meriweather floorplan in Trophy Ridge is gorgeous. They have a site too--just google 'em and you'll come up with them. Medallion Homes.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,346,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The first time we PCS'd here, we bought and sold over a period of less than three years and still made a small profit of a couple of thousand dollars. Considering we would have tossed over $36,000 away in rent during the same time period, I was even willing to take a loss if necessary as even with taxes and what not I felt I would still come out ahead. I know some people prefer it, but I am of the mindset that all you do when you rent is pay someone else's mortgage for them. And I have been on the other side of the equation, having rented out two properties outside of Baltimore for about ten years before selling them. Not only did I get some nice tax breaks, I made a sweet profit that I wouldn't have gotten had I sold them outright. There are risks involved, but even if you take a loss you can write it off on your taxes.

Plus, if you time it right and roll the profits from selling one property into the purchase of another, you can forgo paying taxes on said profits. So, do your homework, plan accordingly and you might find that buying a house will be a profitable investment whereas there is no chance you will ever come out ahead when renting.

Cheers! M2
True, if you are diligent and do your homework, this can pay off. I think it may be the lure of getting a tax-free housing allowance and affordable houses that may influence purchasing a home here. Also, I have seen many VA foreclosures over the last 18 years, which also mimics FHA foreclosures.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
the good thing about these spammers is the spiders love it when they post e-mail addresses

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 15,846 times
We are currently at Lackland and live on base. We are also a family of 6. We lived off base when we first got here and after 18 months moved into a 4 bedroom house on Lackland Annex. That house was super small, about 1400 sq ft. There are one and two story, which one you get depends on rank. We had problem after problem with the management so moved to Airman Scott which is on Lackland. We are in a 5 bedroom house and it has more than enough room for a family of 6. The only thing is there is a long wait to get into one. I believe it's 2-3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio