Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:17 AM

69 posts, read 99,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabantonio View Post
Very true most of the mexican i know always check the white box.
Everyone wants to be white, to bad its a dyeing class
Sometimes we do not have a choice but to mark the White box. Trust me it is not because we want to be White. Recently when I have applied to refinance my mortgage at a lower rate and the loan officer asked me If I was White Hispanic or Black Hispanic. I said is that the only choices? He replied "yes". This was last year. I know I wasn't Black Hispanic. Sometimes these "boxes" are there for a reason whether being for political or demographically motivational statistics. Don't be to proud of yourself there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
It's not a matter of what someone wants to be but more the most correct answer you can provide. In before lock!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
The demographic data comes from the U.S. Census, and it lets you choose as many races as you want.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 AM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousive1 View Post
Sometimes we do not have a choice but to mark the White box. Trust me it is not because we want to be White. Recently when I have applied to refinance my mortgage at a lower rate and the loan officer asked me If I was White Hispanic or Black Hispanic. I said is that the only choices? He replied "yes". This was last year. I know I wasn't Black Hispanic. Sometimes these "boxes" are there for a reason whether being for political or demographically motivational statistics. Don't be to proud of yourself there.
There is no mystery or conspiracy. The demographics reporting in mortgages is due to the Equal Credit Opportunity Act to ensure that a protected group isn't unfairly being descriminated against when applying for a loan with all other things being equal.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
This city is majority minority
"Majority minority" is an oxymoron.

In this city, Hispanic people are the majority. Non-Hispanic people of any race (including non-Hispanic whites) comprise the minority.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 AM

69 posts, read 99,575 times
What would be the ideal demographics pie chart in order satisfy those who are not Hispanic ? Obviously there is a problem when the scale does not work in favor of the opposition. People like to believe there is a pure race but does that even exist anymore. Look around (really look around) at your family, your in laws, your cousins, etc. I am pretty sure you will see some bi-racial blood lines appear. Sometimes I don't understand the point people want to get across when they worry about issues they can't control. How is it that Hispanics bother people when we are the ones who rarely make issues based on racial barriers?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousive1 View Post
What would be the ideal demographics pie chart in order satisfy those who are not Hispanic ? Obviously there is a problem when the scale does not work in favor of the opposition. People like to believe there is a pure race but does that even exist anymore. Look around (really look around) at your family, your in laws, your cousins, etc. I am pretty sure you will see some bi-racial blood lines appear. Sometimes I don't understand the point people want to get across when they worry about issues they can't control. How is it that Hispanics bother people when we are the ones who rarely make issues based on racial barriers?
Your question can be asked of any ethnicity.

I'm assuming most working age non-Hispanics in San Antonio do not care it is majority Hispanic or the would leave.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM

60 posts, read 86,888 times
I don't know, I'm white, live in a crappy part of town, mostly Mexican neighbors. But they all speak english. They know spanish as I've heard them speak that as well. But they tend to speak english for the main part. Anyway, although most my neighbors are mexican, I have an old couple that must have been here since the 60's they're white. And a little white kid lives down the road I see them run down the street playing sometimes. It depends on what side of town you are. Southside, least likely to see many white people, the more north side there's more white. But percentage wise, I'm not sure but can believe that statistic.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
"Majority minority" is an oxymoron.

In this city, Hispanic people are the majority. Non-Hispanic people of any race (including non-Hispanic whites) comprise the minority.
The minority term comes from national demographics.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Perhaps that sounded good as you were saying it in your head.

Oh, btw Fries, I doubt that your neighbors are all Mexican but rather Hispanic or Americans of Mexican decent. Do you call all Black people Africans? No just those (even white) who are from Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio