U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM

35 posts, read 136,700 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Northwest Community Church at 8900 Guilbeau?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM

33 posts, read 108,053 times
Default Here you go

As a member of the church, I can tell you I really enjoy worshipping there. The church is affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America and currently has two services, one at 0930 and the other at 1100. The pastor generally preaches through a book of the Bible for his sermons, but will go on a topical series when he feels the need. The music is contemporary (a little too much Chris Tomlin for my taste but not over the top) and there are plenty of Sunday School classes for everyone. If you have teenagers, they only meet at 0930 for Sunday School and then attend worship service at 1100. Usually there are about 200 to 250 folks split between the two services, so it is not a great big congregation. Although I am sure you will chalk it up to bias, I feel the folks there are very friendly and welcoming of newcomers. They have an excellent focus on missions and reaching out into the community, including the folks in the neighborhoods directly surrounding the church. If there are other questions I can answer for you, feel free to ask.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 PM

14,616 posts, read 31,159,617 times
Thanks bigbill! I was also wondering about them. Is there anything you can add regarding their children's ministry--say 5th graders? My son loves the program at our current church but we may be looking for a church closer to home, and that is something we need to consider. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 AM

Default Kid Stuff

The kids' ministries are quite good. Again a touch of bias here but I teach the 1st-5th graders Sunday School class during the 1100 hour and the curriculum the church uses is self-created. The woman who wrote it heads the kids' Sunday School and is very creative and dedicated to her craft. Additionally, the church has an AWANA ministry on Wednesday nights that I have been told is also good. I have two high school girls that help teach on Wednesdays and it must be pretty good as they would never miss a Wednesday night.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM

14,616 posts, read 31,159,617 times
Thanks! My son has been involved in AWANA before and enjoyed it. Do the kids go to Sunday school while the parents are in worship service? That's the way Harvest does it, so just wondering. I think we will visit next Sunday and see if it's right for us.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM

That's the way most people do it, but some bring their kids to the worship service and then both head off to their Sunday School class. I think you will enjoy the service. If you decide to come, I'll be the tallest guy in the 0930 service, up front and off to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or