U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,641,085 times

Advertisements

Something to consider:

Tomorrow's 250GB is today's 40GB. In other words, while 250 gigs seems like a lot, it won't always be so. (If you need further proof, look at memory and HD storage over the past 5-10 years.)

What if this type of "capping" happened in other areas of our lives? Would you be so quiet if CPS capped you and then charged for every kilowatt over the limit? What if BexarMet or SAWS charged for each gallon over the limit? Etc. etc.

The point is this: While bandwidth caps may be inevitable, the companies who supply said bandwidth should be held to some sort of standard for how they determine "appropriate" or "acceptable" limits.

--Dim
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,033,097 times
I think the proposal to regulate them should get their attention.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 PM

259 posts, read 617,181 times
I loaded Tomato firmware on my router a few months ago because I was curious about my monthly usage. It seems that my average monthly upload+download is right about 250GB per month. My son downloads a couple TV shows every day, my daughter watches streaming Netflix videos and I listen to a lot of streaming radio stations.

Video is definitely the killer. Six or 7 hours of streaming video a day could put any household over the brink of a 250GB cap. TW's proposed 40GB cap is outrageous. I'll cancel my service immediately if they try to implement it.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
The point is this: While bandwidth caps may be inevitable, the companies who supply said bandwidth should be held to some sort of standard for how they determine "appropriate" or "acceptable" limits.
I'm happy we've finally gotten hard figures from the ISPs. Up until now cap barriers were somewhat mythical and were never adequately described.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM

4,263 posts, read 7,118,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I loaded Tomato firmware on my router a few months ago because I was curious about my monthly usage. It seems that my average monthly upload+download is right about 250GB per month. My son downloads a couple TV shows every day, my daughter watches streaming Netflix videos and I listen to a lot of streaming radio stations.

Video is definitely the killer. Six or 7 hours of streaming video a day could put any household over the brink of a 250GB cap. TW's proposed 40GB cap is outrageous. I'll cancel my service immediately if they try to implement it.
Will you just do without? You know that the few choices that we do have, will try to implement as well. I'm sure you'll be quite popular around your house as the son and daughter discover the situation.

Any thoughts on "cutting back" on Gb? It's only the heavy users that they are targeting.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM

141 posts, read 347,885 times
I dont what the big deal is people in Europe (ie. "Cyber Cafes" charge people reasonable prices for internet usage by the min, but I think the internet usage limiting is comming from the "Piracy aka downloading music,etc...

Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,631 posts, read 21,584,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
my daughter watches streaming Netflix videos and I listen to a lot of streaming radio stations.

Video is definitely the killer. Six or 7 hours of streaming video a day could put any household over the brink of a 250GB cap.
We have a streaming Netflix box at our house. I figure the video goes through it at the rate of about 1 GB per hour. It wouldn't surprise me if that little box was responsible for 80% of the bandwidth we consume. Kind of mindboggling, considering that it's by far the smallest device we have connected to the Internet.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Will you just do without? You know that the few choices that we do have, will try to implement as well. I'm sure you'll be quite popular around your house as the son and daughter discover the situation.

Any thoughts on "cutting back" on Gb? It's only the heavy users that they are targeting.
My kids may be moving out of the house soon, so I might not have to do anything. But I'm currently with TW and if they try to implement a 40GB cap I'll cancel my account immediately. That's simply too low for the $60 or whatever I pay them each month.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,033,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
We have a streaming Netflix box at our house. I figure the video goes through it at the rate of about 1 GB per hour. It wouldn't surprise me if that little box was responsible for 80% of the bandwidth we consume. Kind of mindboggling, considering that it's by far the smallest device we have connected to the Internet.
how do you like that thing? All reviews I've seen were in love with it and it's cheap for brand new tech

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,734,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
how do you like that thing? All reviews I've seen were in love with it and it's cheap for brand new tech
My brother loves it. He especially likes its recommendations list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio