U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
 
259 posts, read 818,870 times
Reputation: 132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
If Time-Warner implements a 40GB cap, AT+T could (and probably would) advertise a capless service along with a capped service...but you can bet that you would pay more (significantly) for the capless. Common sense should tell you that. They are well aware of what the competition is doing. Many thousands of customers would have to decide for themselves if the price increase for capless service, is worth it to them. I would be willing to bet that there wouldn't be a mass exodus. Some yes, most no.
You must remember that at this point the people are currently receiving capless service at their current rate. A sudden rate increase for the same exact service wouldn't be accepted by any consumer with half a brain. TW and AT&T have been making money with the current scheme, so there's no reason for them to impose caps OTHER THAN MAKING MORE MONEY.

Perhaps someone like Google will step in and leave the big TELCOs (and their sluggish reactions to consumer demands) in the dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,695,602 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
You must remember that at this point the people are currently receiving capless service at their current rate. A sudden rate increase for the same exact service wouldn't be accepted by any consumer with half a brain.

How can you seriously say this?

Waste Management implemented (outside city limits) a huge increase less than 6 months ago...yet I still see their trucks out on the road. Folks were using them at a set price for the same exact service...and there is choice.
Sure, some switched.....but no mass exodus. This is exactly what will happen with the capped service.
You over estimate the public. Most sheeple won't make a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
 
259 posts, read 818,870 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Most sheeple
I was going to respond until I saw that word. I hate that word. I've never heard it uttered by anyone I'd want to converse with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,695,602 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I was going to respond until I saw that word. I hate that word. I've never heard it uttered by anyone I'd want to converse with.
Sorry you feel that way. We were having a good, civil discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
 
13 posts, read 61,772 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
What will you do when all providers limit useage...which is probably what will happen in time?
I don't see that happening. Instead I see another company, Verizon for example, stepping in and offering unlimited phone and internet packages. Then everyone annoyed with the way they have been treated by TWC will flock to them and they end up posting the largest increase per quarter. TWC sees the increase in customers and revenue Verizon has and compared to their decrease in customers/revenue from people leaving them in droves, decide whoops that was a mistake and change their ways.

However, in the unlikely event every single internet provider jumps on the sinking ship of a monthly usage cap, I'll just take my laptop to the library where it is completely free and not pay anyone at all for my internet.

The majority of the time, when you offer something in an unlimited form and then try to cap consumption, it usually blows it in your face. That's pretty much what I am expecting to happen to TWC.

I'm sure some CFO somewhere for TWC is seeing dollar signs. But he/she has little understanding of how the majority of the internet using community works and thinks. They are about to be schooled and it may not be a pleasant experience for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,330 posts, read 6,261,166 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX123 View Post
I don't see that happening. Instead I see another company, Verizon for example, stepping in and offering unlimited phone and internet packages. Then everyone annoyed with the way they have been treated by TWC will flock to them and they end up posting the largest increase per quarter. TWC sees the increase in customers and revenue Verizon has and compared to their decrease in customers/revenue from people leaving them in droves, decide whoops that was a mistake and change their ways.

However, in the unlikely event every single internet provider jumps on the sinking ship of a monthly usage cap, I'll just take my laptop to the library where it is completely free and not pay anyone at all for my internet.

The majority of the time, when you offer something in an unlimited form and then try to cap consumption, it usually blows it in your face. That's pretty much what I am expecting to happen to TWC.

I'm sure some CFO somewhere for TWC is seeing dollar signs. But he/she has little understanding of how the majority of the internet using community works and thinks. They are about to be schooled and it may not be a pleasant experience for them.
I like your points...

To the first bolded... you have to understand.. most CFO's think with their wallet and not their head... they pay some marketing guru $250k a year to think of some crap to put out there and usually that marketing dude has no concept of what the heck is going on.. you can see that Time Warner still thinks they are the only game in town in regards to their services... and so goes it for AT&T when it comes to their phone products.. they still think they are the only game in town when it comes to phone.. Both will find out (are already finding out) that this is not the way to deal with consumers...

To the second bolded point.. yeah.. look for it in the future.. until Time Warner gets the marketing scheme together.. I see this blowing up in their face big time.. The Marketing vice president doesnt have his shot group together.. and is not thinking of the "other" games in town. Obviously they are thinking they are in an arena playing by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
 
1,517 posts, read 2,477,962 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I beg to differ. Do you really think that TWC will impose limits and the others won't? That would be incredibly dumb on their part.
You yourself said it's all about making money. We see almost weekly now how the airlines are adding fees. One adds, the others follow. Same will happen here.
Or incredibly smart as they'll pick up TWC customers en masse once word hits the street and the competitor fear mongering beings. It's rather nonsensical comparing airlines (particular those that haven't hedged gasoline prices) to this particular scenario. TWC is not facing any rising infrastructure costs incommensurate with the currrent rates/tiers/customer base. This is regression (i.e. greed) at it's best. Nothing better will come out of it, just more restriction, less internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times
Reputation: 13590
The test was "successful." Billing based on usage is coming to SA.

TWC To Begin Tiered Pricing For Road Runner Service - Technology News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/technology/19068268/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,302,376 times
Reputation: 3987
good thing I have the two year deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
3,542 posts, read 7,526,858 times
Reputation: 3745
That really blows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top