Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times

Advertisements

Well, I will have to start looking for another job then....
I am on the internet all day long every day. I am an independent contractor and work from home....

I can't pay rates for a full day of internet use....
I often work into the night and frequently on weekends....

This is my sole means of support... What do they expect people like me to do?????

I'm serious and looking for a serious answer.... I am one of hundreds on the roster for two major clients... I would think that all the others out there will be faced with the same dilemma, so there surely must be some way out of it for us.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
So, does U-verse plan on doing this, or just the evil cable companies? I'll switch to AT&T for sure now--we're just too complacent with TWC right now.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Well, I will have to start looking for another job then....
I am on the internet all day long every day. I am an independent contractor and work from home....

I can't pay rates for a full day of internet use....
I often work into the night and frequently on weekends....

This is my sole means of support... What do they expect people like me to do?????

I'm serious and looking for a serious answer.... I am one of hundreds on the roster for two major clients... I would think that all the others out there will be faced with the same dilemma, so there surely must be some way out of it for us.....
Unfortunately. I don't have an easy answer for you. Can you build the additional costs into your fees somehow? If everyone (the rest of the contractors) finds themselves in the same boat, I'm sure that the 2 major clients will realize this.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 08-29-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Competition will destroy this stupid idea because everyeone will dump any company that tries this.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So, does U-verse plan on doing this, or just the evil cable companies?

I don't think we know this answer yet, Sapph.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I don't think we know this answer yet, Sapph.
OKey-dokey. Can you let me know ASAP?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

You'll be the first!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Competition will destroy this stupid idea because everyeone will dump any company that tries this.
No they won't. The Competition will jump on the bandwagon and compete WITH them. This is a serious situation and well definitely present a huge disadvantage to those that cannot afford purchasing huge amounts of bandwidth.

Time Warner is priming the market place. They used to offer modems with 4 wireless connections per household. Now they offer homeowners a business class service to 10 wireless connections at no extra charge! Why do you suppose that is? The more computers out there....and the more UTube, huge files being transferred, videos and music...it all uses more bandwidth. We get lulled into "needing" it and liking the easy availability.....then wham....either lose it or pay for it! Mom and pops and independent contractors who rely heavily on computers for work will be seriously effected by the outrageous fees that will be required to continue business as usual.

This will definitely weed out or limit the little guy.....personal use or small businesses.

People need to be educated about how it will effect them. It's bad enough gas is so high, and internet services are now part of "normal" utilities and climbing....cost of living is about to get much more expensive when this takes place. It's a economic nightmare.

Check with the FCC and your state and federal regulators to see what needs to be done to protest this before it happens.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
There are several issues, as I see it:

1) 250 GB is really a lot of data, especially when the counter resets on the first of the month. The max a DVD (dual-layer) can hold is 8.5GB; Blu-Ray's max is 50GB. That's a LOT of data, even if you're pulling video streams off the Internet (via AppleTV or Netflix, for example).

2) While I don't like capped Internet connectivity, it's not new. Corporate customers have had this for ages. When I worked in the telecommunications industry, we had clients who were given a certain "hard" limit on bandwidth. They could break the limit once in a while (a process known as the "committed burst rate"), but excessive bursting resulted in added charges. Companies are simply starting to extend this philosophy to private users.

3) In the "old days," bandwidth worked much like the airline industry. Telecommunications companies routinely "oversell" circuits in order to maximize profit (much like the airlines overbook seats). The reasons for doing so are similar to airlines, but instead of counting on cancellations, the telecommunications companies know that not everyone will use the Internet connection at the same time. This results in "dead air" if overselling is not implemented.

However, things have been changing over the last few years. Home-based users are pulling major amounts of bandwidth (whether from downloading huge movie files or Internet gaming). The old concept of overselling is starting to break down, and companies aren't making the money they once were.

Enter capped bandwidth for home-based users. It stinks, but we might as well get used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if wireless carriers started doing the same within he next few years. (Verizon already caps broadband usage...)

--Dim

Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 PM

260 posts, read 573,226 times
Sorry, sapphire but I heard that AT&T wanted to limit the internet too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio