U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:03 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times

Advertisements

Looks like we have plenty of demand for the floors in the tower that are not going to be Frost.

Quote:
More people and more jobs have pushed demand for office space in San Antonio to new heights.
Reaching levels that haven't been seen since the second quarter of 2007, the amount of absorption for the first quarter of this year is already nearly half of the annual absorption in all of 2014. According to the latest CBRE Marketflash report, the city's office market had record-breaking demand in the first quarter of 2015, absorbing more than 426,400 square feet, the highest for any first quarter in market history.
Record-breaking demand for office product in San Antonio - San Antonio Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM

441 posts, read 791,449 times
More changes are coming to downtown SA.

GrayStreet Makes Major Downtown Real Estate Play

The SA Business Journal reported today, there's more coming.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM

555 posts, read 396,459 times
If HDRC doesn't screw things up (as they always seem to), we'll also soon be seeing the demise of the Solo Serve building.

Marriott wants to bring their 'AC' branding to San Antonio and along with that a younger, more hip hotel. We could use a lot more of these properties, instead of yet another extended-stay.

I do also hope the design for the Chris Hill-built hotel next to The Esquire is approved and moves forward as depicted. It's got an interesting, somewhat mid-century aesthetic. It would really help that block visually, as now it's mainly a breeding ground for VIA transients.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 12,560 times
They need to wipe the graffiti first

Old 05-13-2015, 10:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,246,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
More changes are coming to downtown SA.

GrayStreet Makes Major Downtown Real Estate Play

The SA Business Journal reported today, there's more coming.

Great news but about 2 decades behind.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 AM

915 posts, read 1,657,989 times
based on our city's history re: architectural design downtown, i'm not holding my breath for anything that looks new or exciting. although new and old can live together, SA has always imposed blend with the old. that is, but for the SA public library and they took a ton of heat for that 1.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 AM

810 posts, read 1,246,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
based on our city's history re: architectural design downtown, i'm not holding my breath for anything that looks new or exciting. although new and old can live together, SA has always imposed blend with the old. that is, but for the SA public library and they took a ton of heat for that 1.
At least the Pearl area is doing something right. Thatís the direction to follow.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
If HDRC doesn't screw things up (as they always seem to), we'll also soon be seeing the demise of the Solo Serve building.

Marriott wants to bring their 'AC' branding to San Antonio and along with that a younger, more hip hotel. We could use a lot more of these properties, instead of yet another extended-stay.

I do also hope the design for the Chris Hill-built hotel next to The Esquire is approved and moves forward as depicted. It's got an interesting, somewhat mid-century aesthetic. It would really help that block visually, as now it's mainly a breeding ground for VIA transients.
Examples, please. Only one I can think of is Joske's, but you have to admit that the first design was
pretty bad, so I consider the HDRC's hesitation a great win. I believe (no proof) that there were other forces at work to delay the second design.

I think the HDRC gets unfairly blamed for things beyond their control. Yes, they have made some mistakes in my opinion, but the real blame for the boring designs belongs with the developers and their out of town "commodity" architects.

In recent years, the HDRC has approved the Tobin Center, the Esquire, the hotel on Houston Street (though I disagree with the cut through), and the many modern apartments and homes in the Pearl and Lavaca areas. The recent, brown & beige designs are all hotels by out of town interests. Their concerns with the Solo Serve project were valid and so reasonable that they were easily worked out.

In my dealings with the HDRC, I have found that good design (be it modern or historic) is always approved (unfortunately, sometimes bad design is approved as well). It comes down to the people with the pocketbooks and what they want to see. Frost and Weston have indicated that they want something "iconic", so I have no doubt that "iconic" is what we will end up seeing.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM

915 posts, read 1,657,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Examples, please. Only one I can think of is Joske's, but you have to admit that the first design was
pretty bad, so I consider the HDRC's hesitation a great win. I believe (no proof) that there were other forces at work to delay the second design.

I think the HDRC gets unfairly blamed for things beyond their control. Yes, they have made some mistakes in my opinion, but the real blame for the boring designs belongs with the developers and their out of town "commodity" architects.

In recent years, the HDRC has approved the Tobin Center, the Esquire, the hotel on Houston Street (though I disagree with the cut through), and the many modern apartments and homes in the Pearl and Lavaca areas. The recent, brown & beige designs are all hotels by out of town interests. Their concerns with the Solo Serve project were valid and so reasonable that they were easily worked out.

In my dealings with the HDRC, I have found that good design (be it modern or historic) is always approved (unfortunately, sometimes bad design is approved as well). It comes down to the people with the pocketbooks and what they want to see. Frost and Weston have indicated that they want something "iconic", so I have no doubt that "iconic" is what we will end up seeing.
Hope you are right. It was a terrible indicator for SA that prime real estate, such as Solo Serve, could sit empty for 20 years.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:15 PM

441 posts, read 791,449 times
@ jwebtx, a lot of stems from demand. The demand wasn't there years ago until recently. There is many projects in the works for downtown SA.

To find out more go to skyscraperpage.com or pm me and I can send you the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or