U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 63,504 times

Advertisements

Is that really true?? You have to worry about safety and people going through your stuff at a State campground?? I'd really like to hear if that's a common point of view. That would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:20 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,547,574 times
You should always be aware of your surroundings around here (anywhere these days). Theft is rampant in much of SA. Just glad that violent crime isn't so bad. People will steal the cheapest of things too. Amazing.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,360,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_st_croix View Post
Is that really true?? You have to worry about safety and people going through your stuff at a State campground?? I'd really like to hear if that's a common point of view. That would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.

We camp a lot in state parks, have never ever had an issue. Our tent and our gear is always fine. We don't leave out expensive camera gear and the like, but that's just common sense.

Anything can happen anywhere, but in the 12 years we've been camping here, no problems.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:47 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,547,574 times
I wish some of us could say the same.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,370,321 times
Depends on where you are coming from, camping in Texas is NOT like camping in the western states. Texas parks are small, there are designated camp spots that you drive to, expect neighbors at the campgrounds that may or may not have proper camping etiquette, campgrounds are over-run on the weekends, and expect some ethnic music blaring on a car stereo to waft across the entire park.

If you want real camping go to NM,AZ, CO, WY or Utah

Old 05-07-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Depends on where you are coming from, camping in Texas is NOT like camping in the western states. Texas parks are small, there are designated camp spots that you drive to, expect neighbors at the campgrounds that may or may not have proper camping etiquette, campgrounds are over-run on the weekends, and expect some ethnic music blaring on a car stereo to waft across the entire park.

If you want real camping go to NM,AZ, CO, WY or Utah
I'd agree with that, but some parks are better than others.

This describes Garner well, although off season it's nice.
Lost Maples has been great - while campsites are close, we've always had very respectful "neighbors."
Pedernales the weekend after finals for most colleges was a little crazy, but our site was a bit away from the fray and turned out ok.
Inks Lake is like a parking lot.
Colorado Bend is a bit like Lost Maples in terms of camping but more primitive (pit toilets)

So, it varies... Camping in Texas was an adjustment, but we've learned to make the most of it. If I'd wanted to backpack here it would really stink, but since we're car camping with kids, it's tolerable. And it's easy to hike up away from the fray.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 AM

302 posts, read 559,190 times
Over about a decade, I've camped at 34 Texas State Parks and 4 National Parks in Texas. Many of these were multiple nights, many multiple visits. I'd estimate 150+ nights under the Texas sky. (Drive up tent sites, or backpacking - no RV)
I've never had any issue or concerns with my gear being disturbed. Nor have I ever felt unsafe. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have not experienced it.

In fact the only "bad experience" per say would have to be my two and only visits to Garner. I will not go back. First time, there was a rowdy domestic disturbance that involved police. Second time, it was drunk and incredibly rude campers in the next site chopping down and attempting to burn a live ashe juniper(!) well after quiet hours. Hate to say so, but Garner is pretty much the slum of the state park system. Complete with graffiti on the rocks, trash on the trails. Don't let it be representative of the other great parks here.

Just a tip, the more remote and less popular the park, the quieter and less visited it is. Also, off season is much more pleasant both for weather and fewer visitors. I've spent nights where I've been the only one in the camp area, if not the whole park.

If you have a vehicle up to the task and the sensibilities to do so safely, you can get into the backcountry campsites of Big Bend, Big Bend State Park, or Padre Island national seashore and it may very well be that you are the only camper for miles.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,201 times
If you want to try out a very remote place to camp, I would suggest Colorado Bend State Park. It's a drive (up outside of Lampasas) but well worth it!

Colorado Bend State Park

Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
If you want to try out a very remote place to camp, I would suggest Colorado Bend State Park. It's a drive (up outside of Lampasas) but well worth it!

Colorado Bend State Park
There are no hook-ups there though, unless they've developed since I've been there. And last 10 miles are on unpaved road. Lovely place though, so worth it if you're prepared.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM

302 posts, read 559,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
There are no hook-ups there though, unless they've developed since I've been there. And last 10 miles are on unpaved road. Lovely place though, so worth it if you're prepared.
No hookups. A few water spigots dispersed through the grounds. Compost toilets. It is a nice park, but might be a bit primitive for some. The riverside tent sites are pretty much all just on an open field, so you have no privacy. The driveup sites, well same idea, different field. Been a few times, usually was quiet and wonderful. One time time there was a large group that had 4 or 5 sites and with that many people, it does get a little noisy. That happens anywhere though.

The hiking is the hidden gem here. Gorman Falls, Gorman Spring trail in the upper section, Spicewood Canyon and Spicewood Springs nearer the river. Some really beautiful hiking areas. Also, there is one backpacking area away from the other campers - that's the quiet place to camp when the other sites are busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or