Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,723,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
I really can't understand why this is so complicated for a lot of people. The only thing that has changed is now you take the VIR with you when you get your sticker...smh
Because it is convoluted as all hell and one of the dumbest things the state has implemented. It also screws up people that have a registration due before their inspection. They wont let you register without the inspection certificate (even though your car isnt due yet)

Also, I found out completely by accident that this change took place. Thankfully my inspection is due a month before my registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:21 PM

432 posts, read 523,208 times
At least in Bexar the inspection status (OK or expired) is in the computer. No VIR needed, even when you do the annual reg at HEB.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
At least in Bexar the inspection status (OK or expired) is in the computer. No VIR needed, even when you do the annual reg at HEB.
Is this true?! So once we do the inspection, we can immediately do the registration? What if we wish to do the registration online?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Did it myself a couple weeks ago and the HEB clerk confirmed. My inspection was still good and showed on their computer hook up. I did not do an inspection due to the new regulations that simply allow a registration without a new inspection if the inspection shows good in the computer. Don't worry, the state collects their part of the inspection fee anyway so no money lost to them during this transition period.

How long does an inspection take to register in the computer ? Don't know, but I'll bet it is no more than a day or two if not instantaneous.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 AM

5 posts, read 5,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
Did it myself a couple weeks ago and the HEB clerk confirmed. My inspection was still good and showed on their computer hook up. I did not do an inspection due to the new regulations that simply allow a registration without a new inspection if the inspection shows good in the computer. Don't worry, the state collects their part of the inspection fee anyway so no money lost to them during this transition period.

How long does an inspection take to register in the computer ? Don't know, but I'll bet it is no more than a day or two if not instantaneous.

instantaneous

Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,628 times
Darn you guys are lucky...

I still have to pay $30 + tax for a yearly inspection, THEN in our state we have to pay Vehicle Tax for 2 years in advance (my tax is about $40 a year, double $80 for the following year too.), THEN we still have to pay for the sticker which is $28.

Total to renew my car every year? Almost $150!!

I'm starting to think this state sucks...

Old 05-04-2015, 04:59 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
Your state sucks due to a $150 per year charge? There are states where it's much worse. I'm sure we pay more in other areas. It all comes out in the wash.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
If they're on the eastern seaboard, trust me - they make THIS state look like pikers when it comes to taxing things. Some CITIES even have an additional city license fee (tax) on vehicles if you drive them within their city limits for work, even if you don't live in that city.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
...but the property tax is lower in some of those states (I've lived there) and some have no state income tax . Like I said..you pay one way or the other. Of course there are states like NY or NJ where you just have taxes and high rates for everything. To say that the state sucks due to a measly $150 is ludicrous. To say that the total tax burden of your state sucks is another thing and fair if applicable.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM

my annual car reg in GA was 12 times the TX amount (amount is based on car's book value)
the big cities in GA have an emissions check (exhaust sensor + look for check engine light on)
no state "inspection" at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio