Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times

Advertisements

Being serious but sarcastic here. I got a bit peeved about my appraisal this year (who didn't) and decided I'd see how I compare to the Dominium. Welp, apparently I live in a super "exclusive area" (Alamo Ranch) cause the assessed value per square foot of my property is twice as much as those in the Dominion. Even David Robinson's old house has a cheaper lot value than mine per sq ft. WTH???? Just venting a bit as I gather my research to go protest my appraisal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
David Robinson and whoever owns his old place have the wealth to hire top lawyers to fight the appraisal. I can't fault them for that.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
David Robinson and whoever owns his old place have the wealth to hire top lawyers to fight the appraisal. I can't fault them for that.
Agreed but seriously??

Old 05-05-2015, 06:49 AM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
David Robinson's old property in the dominion was a troubled property from the get-go - with multiple structural problems that needed to be remedied. There is a reason why he didn't live there long, even though the street the home is on is named "1 Admirals Way" It languished on the market for years before it sold to a plastic surgeon who finally invested the money needed to bring the property up to speed.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Comparing apples to oranges. Alamo Ranch is a hot market right now for suburbanites so I am not surprised the land value is high right now but I am sure that bubble is going to deflate or burst at some point. Perhaps there is an agriculture exemption going on by putting a few goats on the land out there, it has been known to happen.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
David Robinson's old property in the dominion was a troubled property from the get-go - with multiple structural problems that needed to be remedied. There is a reason why he didn't live there long, even though the street the home is on is named "1 Admirals Way" It languished on the market for years before it sold to a plastic surgeon who finally invested the money needed to bring the property up to speed.
Regardless of the issues with the home, the lot it sits on should have been appraised higher than it was. It certainly shouldn't be half of what mine is appraised for psf

Old 05-05-2015, 08:03 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
One would think the typical Alamo rancher would be proud of the fact that his suburban tract home is worth so much more than one in the dominion psf.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
One would think the typical Alamo rancher would be proud of the fact that his suburban tract home is worth so much more than one in the dominion psf.
Typical Alamo Rancher?? What does that even mean??? We're all just hard workin' middle class folk trying to stay ahead of the money grabbing tax man

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Short answer is that comparing a residential lot on a $/sf basis is a highly inaccurate way to measure its true value.

Large lots tend to have a reduced $/sf because there is still only one water/sewer connection, one platting fee, etc. It is basically an "economy of scale" to use a phrase common in the construction industry.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Short answer is that comparing a residential lot on a $/sf basis is a highly inaccurate way to measure its true value.

Large lots tend to have a reduced $/sf because there is still only one water/sewer connection, one platting fee, etc. It is basically an "economy of scale" to use a phrase common in the construction industry.
I could totally agree with this logic if all lots in the Dominion had similar appraisals per square foot but they don't. Some are as low as 4.00 psf while others are 12.00 psf. I found same is true in AR except ours doesn't go as high as 12.00 psf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio