U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM

355 posts, read 450,611 times

Advertisements

"What are the general thoughts regarding the runoff? Will Tommy's and Mike's votes convert to LVP or Taylor?"

Don't know about MV's support, but I think TA's will go to LVdP. I say that because they are both career politicians around the same age and . . . well it's just a gut feeling.

I think Ivy will do well on the N and E sides.

All comes down to turnout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:34 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,383,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
That "community" makes up a very small portion of the population of SA. While I'd hope she'd do nothing to HARM any law-abiding group, expecting her to cater to any one group is also rather pretentious, IMO.

First, the topic was addressing the suggestion was that she'd have the support of the LGBT community, which is not very likely.

Second, if by "cater to" you mean "treat all people as equal citizens under the law," then I would expect a mayor to do that.

But as she is catering to the evangelicals and far right, it's going to be hard to convince those voters to select her, and they're a pretty big part of the 11% who actually vote.

Whether that matters in the end remains to be seen, but I disagree with the poster who said she'd "mended fences."

Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,873,213 times
I wonder why people would think MV's votes will go to Letcia?

He was the main attacker on Letcia.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:16 PM

816 posts, read 1,479,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Whether that matters in the end remains to be seen, but I disagree with the poster who said she'd "mended fences."
I will admit that I had also thought she had "mended fences" as well, so your links are quite depressing. While I was encouraged by statements made during a debate that she considered the NDO "settled" and could be enforced, I was highly discouraged to see her courting the Cornerstone crowd. Though, to be honest, it seemed the other candidates were doing it as well.

Back to the question about MV's voters, I think that Ivy will pick up many of them because I believe that Mike had a lot of business support.

I'm honestly surprised that LVP made the runoff - I was betting on a MV vs. Ivy election.

Unfortunately, the status quo won in SAISD, and my current councilman still came away with 47% of the vote.

Except for the Harlandale and Southside ISD outcomes, I did not enjoy reading the election results.

Last edited by Montirob; 05-11-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I will admit that I had also thought she had "mended fences" as well, so your links are quite discouraging. While I was encouraged by statements made during a debate that she considered the NDO "settled" and could be enforced, I was highly discouraged to see her courting the Cornerstone crowd. Though, to be honest, it seemed the other candidates were doing it as well.
Mike was endorsed by all of the LGBT groups in the city. He tends to be very balanced in the words he chooses, but he definitely wasn't courting the evangelicals. LVP has made some sounds about not supporting the NDO, though her record indicates she does and her campaign manager will have to decide if it's worth losing the LGBT votes (and not only LGBT people are those voters, many many people who are not LGBT support the NDO strongly) to court the evangelicals away from Ivy.

Quote:
Back to the question about MV's voters, I think that Ivy will pick up many of them because I believe that Mike had a lot of business support.
What was interesting about him is that his support was very broad based: tried-and-true die hard liberals, business leaders, fiscally conservative Republicans.

Hard to tell which way they'll go. I think if Ivy backed off her anti-NDO stance and offered it her support now, she'd get the vast majority of MV supporters, but I'd be shocked if that happened.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised that LVP made the runoff - I was betting on a MV vs. Ivy election.
Me too, but I was following this closely so not entirely shocked with the results.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the status quo won in SAISD
This was perhaps the most distressing. When an incumbent insinuates that a challenger is a child molester, that person has no place on the board. And what has she done in her years on the board? SAISD is still struggling.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

He was the main attacker on Letcia.
She was the main attacker on him. But, politically they're aligned, so most MV supporters have voted for her at state level, and Ivy is so extreme it's difficult to support her if you are at all a believer in Mike's vision.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,041,414 times
Does doing either make it right?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It's been interesting following his Facebook page - I'd say more LVP but a significant # for Ivy.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,733,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
October? Have you talked to anyone in the LGBT community lately? Certainly there may be LGBT folks willing to support her, but that's not at all what I'm hearing, which is a loud, deafening call to oust her.

Community reacts to Taylor's apology - Out in SA - these comments are far more common. Marsha Warren seems to be the only person defending her.

Chad Griffin: San Antonio Mayor Needs to Protect Her LGBT Constituents | Advocate.com
It should be interesting. This will only be a factor if LGBT people and their supporters actually get out and vote. Politically, the gay community here in SA is extremely apathetic and sheepish compared to other cities. For whatever reason, many that do vote always vote against their rights. Marsha Warren is the perfect example. It's amazing how many people will run to the polls solely to defend discrimination. The runoff should go down to the wire.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:30 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,041,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
For whatever reason, many that do vote always vote against their rights. Marsha Warren is the perfect example. It's amazing how many people will run to the polls solely to defend discrimination. The runoff should go down to the wire.
Could it be that they vote on who's the better overall candidate for the JOB, rather than just their own self-interest? Based on some I've talked to, that seems to be the case. They'll WISH the candidate they were supporting were more supportive of their cause (whatever that might be), but still vote based on who they think will be better in the overall good of their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or