U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM

11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times

Advertisements

A lot of areas in the city are like that...nice neighborhoods and then you drive a couple of miles and everything looks run down. It does seem more common on the far west side than the north side. In some areas I think that's because those areas are maintained by the county rather than the city and the county's resources are spread a lot thinner.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:39 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,730,902 times
When I typed NC in my post I should clarify I meant North Carolina not NC San Antonio.

I've been hearing realtors are pushing AR a lot. I have several realtor friends and have worked with many other realtors and have always been told they are not allowed to voice opinions or give advice on areas. I also was very surprised at the prices over there for pretty basic homes on small treeless lots. I'm sure there are really nice options but the one I saw was a little house on a small lot in the same price range as my 2900 square ft home with pretty oak trees right by Stone Oak Elementary. I knew my house had appreciated substantially but didn't realize how high the prices had gotten out there. At least that's good for the military that transfer out and have to sell.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 PM

12 posts, read 12,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
A lot of average communities in SA are gated for some reason. It is a SA thing that never made sense. Personally, I would never live west of I-10 along 1604.
Im not even sure anymore. Ive seen La Cantera area its nice until I drive on I 10 West just past the Rim and Dominion and the Firworks stands and old decrepit shacks start appearing. Not very high end.

Shavano Park and Sonterra seem to be the "Closest" to be considered manicured nice.

Definitely, out of here in 2016. Westover Hills is not for people looking for semi exclusivity in the 4-6k.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 12,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Neither Alamo Ranch nor Westover Hills have graffiti. Culebra road inside 1604 does have graffiti and looks pretty run down in spots. I think people think Westover Hills is a larger area than it really is.

As for the medians that is purely the cities fault for not maintaining those. Alamo Ranch's medians are nice like Stone Oaks.
Your kidding.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 AM

261 posts, read 254,006 times
Some of these holier than thou folks don't know what they're talking about and just sound bitter.

I drive all over this city daily. I've seen graffiti everywhere yes even up north and northwest in "affluent" neighborhoods. You will have young foolish kids doing things in every part of town.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:06 AM

Uh, out past the Dominion?
Shacks? You do realize you're out in the country by then don't you.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
No, it is not a national thing but if it helps make the local folks feel “elite” or “safer” to be living inside a gated community, then more power to them.

There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods in Austin, Dallas, and Houston with houses that are $500k+ that do not have a gate and they are doing just fine. Here, the communities with $250k+ houses have them. It is a perception thing that is over rated.
Yes it is a national thing. And just because your beloved Austin doesn't have it doesn't make it so. Just because some $500k+ neighborhoods aren't gated doesn't mean others can't be. Same goes for moderately priced neighborhoods, upper end neighborhoods don't hold a patent on gates.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 AM

887 posts, read 584,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candylipsgirl View Post
Im not even sure anymore. Ive seen La Cantera area its nice until I drive on I 10 West just past the Rim and Dominion and the Firworks stands and old decrepit shacks start appearing. Not very high end.
Oh, it gets even worse when you get out toward Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne and see car and motorcycle dealerships, modular/trailer house sales lots, and even hardware, tack and feed stores along the highway.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 AM

5,631 posts, read 6,442,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
Some of these holier than thou folks don't know what they're talking about and just sound bitter.

I drive all over this city daily. I've seen graffiti everywhere yes even up north and northwest in "affluent" neighborhoods. You will have young foolish kids doing things in every part of town.
THANK YOU. I agree with you in the bolded statement and it boggles my mind when those bitter ones decide to move back to San Antonio and still complain and whine about the city issues that exist in any other city.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,869,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post

I think the difference is when graffiti is sprayed in Stone Oak it is cleaned that day or the next and it is still a rare occasion. I have lived in my new house off of Brook Hollow for four months and I have yet to see any tagging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or