U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:43 AM

464 posts, read 662,730 times

Advertisements

When comparing how much graffiti is in SA vs other places, we're actually quite low.

As far as major world cities, I've seen tons of it in Paris (even in the Père Lachaise cemetery!!), Rome (on the Coliseum, no less!), Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Tokyo and London. But the most I have ever seen in terms of quantity, was in Buenos Aires, Argentina. There it is almost an accepted form of art.

It's nothing new under the sun; when I commented to our host in Rome about the graffiti everywhere, he mentioned we should go to Pompeii. Apparently the citizens of that ancient city had quite a sense of humor and are no different from people today in terms of what subjects they commented about.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM

3,753 posts, read 3,878,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candylipsgirl View Post
Your kidding.
I drive down Wiseman, Westover Hills Blvd, Hunt Ln, and Rodgers and see no tagging. You will see some tagging right when you get to Culebra on Rodgers but that is not Westover Hills. Like I said earlier the medians in the area could use a better maintenance plan.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 AM

810 posts, read 1,250,519 times
Quote:
Im not even sure anymore. Ive seen La Cantera area its nice until I drive on I 10 West just past the Rim and Dominion and the Firworks stands and old decrepit shacks start appearing. Not very high end
Wait until you drive south on I-10 pass 1604 and you will really see what the majority of the city is like. And don’t even drive on 410 or I-35 south of 1604 if you don’t want to be disappointed.

You may want to consider Boerne. It is a city closer to the hill country with $ and educated demographic.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:20 AM

852 posts, read 931,238 times
Some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread is just ridiculous and, IMO completely false. I seriously hope this doesn't turn into another SO vs. AR thread because both areas have fantastic pro's and a couple of con's dependent upon your personal opinion. I can't speak for Westover Hills as much as I can about Alamo Ranch because I don't live in WH so I'll leave that to others with personal experience.

I've been in AR for almost 4 years and I can tell you that I've not met ANYONE that I would consider "hood rich" as Smuboy86 implied and I am personally offended being referred to in such terms. He has apparently spent ZERO time exploring who actually lives here. The majority of our residents are highly educated professionals, or moderate to high ranking military personnel and retired military. The professions of my closest neighbors are an IT Director, an attorney, a doctor, a USAF Lt Col, 2 high level folks that work for the DoD, (not sure exactly what they do cause if they told me they'd have to kill me, LOL), an executive level sales professional, one of the TOP executives at Boeing San Antonio and a few business owners. All of them have at minimum an undergrad but most have advanced degrees. I hardly think ANY of these folks could be considered "hood rich" by anyone. What is your profession Smuboy?

AR has ZERO graffiti and I've not seen any in the 4 years I've lived here either. We do have 2 separate HOA's that we pay for upkeep. Each neighborhood pays for its own HOA to keep their own areas maintained. All neighborhoods contribute to an "umbrella" HOA to ensure the entire development is maintained (to include medians, sidewalks, etc) throughout the area. Now, if you venture inside Loop 1604, you'll find the issues that have been described i.e. graffiti, weeds and unkempt sidewalks, etc. Down Culebra outside of the loop there are a few issues as well but not even close to the level of being referred to as ghetto.

The reason homes are priced very similarly to those in Stone Oak is because we share many of the same builders. Before I purchased 4 years ago, I looked at both SO and AR. Spent MONTHS investigating the areas and the builders in those areas. We loved BOTH communities. Both had pro's and con's but it came down to which area fit our lifestyles the best. We chose AR because it was an easier commute for the hubby to get to work, it was closer to our weekend home in the hill country and there was much less traffic at the time (I used to drive 281/1604 on the daily to work and it was awful). We also liked the mix of the professions that were buying in the area because we could relate to many of them which made making new friends easy. Almost everything we need is within a 2 mile radius. Ok, we'd like to see better dining options but that was not our priority when making our decision.

AR was recently named the 6th best selling community in the entire country and I'm pretty sure it's not because it's ghetto. People do not pay 300k to over 500k to live in the ghetto. SMH

Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,526,647 times
You'll notice I never mentioned Alamo ranch in my comment, that more than several posters have agreed with. You are right I would never go to Alamo ranch because it has nothing, absolutely nothing that interests me. If I want to see 300k and up homes all I have to do is walk down my street and at least the ones in my area have trees, and are architecturally distinct. Btw in my hood we have a full bird army colonel, a former president of the San Antonio bar association and a Vice President for frost banks CR you can quit with the name dropping.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You'll notice I never mentioned Alamo ranch in my comment, that more than several posters have agreed with. You are right I would never go to Alamo ranch because it has nothing, absolutely nothing that interests me. If I want to see 300k and up homes all I have to do is walk down my street and at least the ones in my area have trees, and are architecturally distinct. Btw in my hood we have a full bird army colonel, a former president of the San Antonio bar association and a Vice President for frost banks CR you can quit with the name dropping.
Where did I "name drop"? That's right, I didn't. While you did not mention AR in your comment, your reply was to the OPs initial post which specifically references both AR and WH. It's totally ok that you feel there is nothing over here that interests you, to each there own. HOWEVER, given that you just admitted to personally knowing little to nothing about AR by stating "I would never go to Alamo ranch because it has nothing, absolutely nothing that interests me",you kinda look a bit silly by providing your uneducated opinion on this thread don't ya think. I'm not here to fight with you SB just setting the record straight with my EDUCATED opinion.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,236,089 times
Quote:
We live near 151 and Westover Hills , so I shop at Alamo Ranch.
Realtor said its very nice part of town, more potential than StoneOak or I 10 Corridor.

We spent over 300k. So I thought maybe since its Data Cntr and Med Cntr. Potential up and coming.

But its kind of Ghettoish. I drive on Culebra and I see ample Graffiti and Unkempt city sidewalks and medians.

Why is StoneOak so well kempt and here its on the trashy side. Prices are similar in property.
Nowhere in the OP does she say that Alamo Ranch is ghetto or tagged or unkempt. She specifically says "Culebra" where she drives and sees those things. I lived in Silver Creek (basically Culebra/Tezel/Grissom) for 5 years as a homeowner and there absolutely is a tagging issue there. The HOA does their best to clean it up as soon as they see it, but it happens. To deny that there is tagging THERE in that area and especially further down Culebra towards 410 is silly.

Alamo Ranch, on the other hand, is beautiful and clean and very well-kept. It's leaps and bounds from anything inside 1604 in that area. We used to cruise through there before we left the area, thinking that one day we might buy out there. Now, with my husband's office moving, it's just not convenient so we're choosing a different side of town and you can bet your sweet bippy that we will not settle where there is a tagging problem. I hate it, can't stand looking at it, it makes me sick how people choose to destroy property that doesn't belong to them. Clean areas DO exist. AR and SO are two of them.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM

1,128 posts, read 791,112 times
Quote:
But prices are not diff than in StoneOak? So Im not sure its just money. Theres something I cant figure it out.

I think maybe its too close to Potranco/1604 and all 410
I feel bad that you made this mistake...we did, too, in 2006. That was "boom-time" and we bought a beautiful brand new home, well within our means. Fast forward, we find out anyone breathing got the same amount in mortgages and they all started to abandon homes. We stuck it out until last year and finally sold...after writing a check to close.
There are too many income levels and price-points over in that area. We would drive around and shake our heads at people spending $300,000-400,000 for homes when you might have a $150,000 home down the road.
Stone Oak has "pockets", as well, that are problems from time to time. Arrowhead is one- I believe that's the name.
I try to tell people to do research...check foreslosure and short-sales from these past 4-7 years. The far-west side had problems when housing busted. You can't pick your neighbors and you can't assume everyone bought responsibly...sad to say.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Nowhere in the OP does she say that Alamo Ranch is ghetto or tagged or unkempt. She specifically says "Culebra" where she drives and sees those things. I lived in Silver Creek (basically Culebra/Tezel/Grissom) for 5 years as a homeowner and there absolutely is a tagging issue there. The HOA does their best to clean it up as soon as they see it, but it happens. To deny that there is tagging THERE in that area and especially further down Culebra towards 410 is silly.

Alamo Ranch, on the other hand, is beautiful and clean and very well-kept. It's leaps and bounds from anything inside 1604 in that area. We used to cruise through there before we left the area, thinking that one day we might buy out there. Now, with my husband's office moving, it's just not convenient so we're choosing a different side of town and you can bet your sweet bippy that we will not settle where there is a tagging problem. I hate it, can't stand looking at it, it makes me sick how people choose to destroy property that doesn't belong to them. Clean areas DO exist. AR and SO are two of them.

After reading the OP and then the comment on #24, I couldn't help but assume AR was being viewed in a negative light. If I assumed incorrectly then I apologize. I also agreed that INSIDE 1604 down Culebra had issues, I was just trying to be nice with how I positioned my response about the "issues". LOL I didn't want to instigate a neighborhood vs. neighborhood debate which happens so often if one doesn't choose their words carefully.

It is very sad how people can be so thuggish to trash other people's property and I'm right there with you about being sick about it. What is sad is those who are tagging and littering down Culebra inside the loop probably live in the area so they are trashing their own community.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 791,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Neither Alamo Ranch nor Westover Hills have graffiti. Culebra road inside 1604 does have graffiti and looks pretty run down in spots. I think people think Westover Hills is a larger area than it really is.

As for the medians that is purely the cities fault for not maintaining those. Alamo Ranch's medians are nice like Stone Oaks.
I lived there for nearly 8 years and did see graffiti there from time to time. Litter all the time and the medians mowed only a couple of times a season in WH. Our last week in town, there was graffiti in AR behind Target and along the bridge by Bush's chicken, as well as beggars with signs sitting beside the Target entrance.
That's when we were glad we sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or