Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
When comparing how much graffiti is in SA vs other places, we're actually quite low.

As far as major world cities, I've seen tons of it in Paris (even in the Père Lachaise cemetery!!), Rome (on the Coliseum, no less!), Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Tokyo and London. But the most I have ever seen in terms of quantity, was in Buenos Aires, Argentina. There it is almost an accepted form of art.

It's nothing new under the sun; when I commented to our host in Rome about the graffiti everywhere, he mentioned we should go to Pompeii. Apparently the citizens of that ancient city had quite a sense of humor and are no different from people today in terms of what subjects they commented about.
You have GOT to be kidding, right? It is the WORST for graffiti and I've lived all over. All cities have it, but you have to go find it in bad areas. In SA, for some reason, it's all over - even in nice neighborhoods.
Art? That's a matter of opinion. Gang taggings were all I saw in SA.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I lived there for nearly 8 years and did see graffiti there from time to time. Litter all the time and the medians mowed only a couple of times a season in WH. Our last week in town, there was graffiti in AR behind Target and along the bridge by Bush's chicken, as well as beggars with signs sitting beside the Target entrance.
That's when we were glad we sold.
You do realize that Target and Bush's Chicken are not actually IN Alamo Ranch right? Those businesses apparently clean up any issues fairly quick because I've never seen this graffiti that you've seen. I am in NO WAY saying that it doesn't ever happen, I'm just saying that I haven't seen it. I have seen a couple of beggers over on some of Culebra's street corners, especially the one right inside the loop at 1604 and Culebra. Not sure why that corner is so popular. I'm sure you will find beggers all over SA including the nicer area. If I had to beg, I'd sure be hanging out in areas that looked like they had money to spare as opposed to the run down, truly ghetto looking areas.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
You do realize that Target and Bush's Chicken are not actually IN Alamo Ranch right? Those businesses apparently clean up any issues fairly quick because I've never seen this graffiti that you've seen. I am in NO WAY saying that it doesn't ever happen, I'm just saying that I haven't seen it. I have seen a couple of beggers over on some of Culebra's street corners, especially the one right inside the loop at 1604 and Culebra. Not sure why that corner is so popular. I'm sure you will find beggers all over SA including the nicer area. If I had to beg, I'd sure be hanging out in areas that looked like they had money to spare as opposed to the run down, truly ghetto looking areas.
Well, when a business is in Alamo Ranch Marketplace, I guess it's part of AR to me! And yes, we sure did see the tagging along the bridge and the strip mall. Just like I used to see dirty diapers in Target's parking lot...a first in my life for me.
Beggars are ALL over SA? Wow, I'm so glad we moved away.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
After reading the OP and then the comment on #24, I couldn't help but assume AR was being viewed in a negative light. If I assumed incorrectly then I apologize. I also agreed that INSIDE 1604 down Culebra had issues, I was just trying to be nice with how I positioned my response about the "issues". LOL I didn't want to instigate a neighborhood vs. neighborhood debate which happens so often if one doesn't choose their words carefully.

It is very sad how people can be so thuggish to trash other people's property and I'm right there with you about being sick about it. What is sad is those who are tagging and littering down Culebra inside the loop probably live in the area so they are trashing their own community.
No, people were dragging AR into it. I would be defensive also. Some people may be referring to the AR "area" which MIGHT include (to some people) Culebra inside 1604. Not to me, but some who don't really know and think anything outside of 410 is a disaster. I think the OP confused the issue by saying she shops in Alamo Ranch. I haven't been to the shopping center in about 3 years but it was not anywhere near ghetto then and I hope it hasn't gotten that way. I also don't spend any time in Westover Hills but it wasn't "ghetto" last time I saw it. It's just closer to the trouble spots and they may end up with some of it spilling over into the area.

I'm sure there are people who have lived in Silver Creek or the Great Northwest area for years and get defensive about their homes, too. At one time, it was absolutely gorgeous in there. I have friends who still live there and they say it's really gotten much better and they're really cleaning it up, but it probably won't ever be the gem it was in the 90's. It's sad.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Well, when a business is in Alamo Ranch Marketplace, I guess it's part of AR to me! And yes, we sure did see the tagging along the bridge and the strip mall. Just like I used to see dirty diapers in Target's parking lot...a first in my life for me.
Beggars are ALL over SA? Wow, I'm so glad we moved away.
Not doubting your experience at all, just a different one from my own. The reason why I say they are not apart of AR (regardless of their name) is because the marketplace is in the City of San Antonio and AR is not. If AR is successful in preventing itself from being annexed and winds up incorporating into their own city, AR Marketplace will not be apart of that incorporation therefore will not be a part of the City of AR or whatever they decide to call it. Dirty diapers in the parking lot? That's just gross.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Not doubting your experience at all, just a different one from my own. The reason why I say they are not apart of AR (regardless of their name) is because the marketplace is in the City of San Antonio and AR is not. If AR is successful in preventing itself from being annexed and winds up incorporating into their own city, AR Marketplace will not be apart of that incorporation therefore will not be a part of the City of AR or whatever they decide to call it. Dirty diapers in the parking lot? That's just gross.
To me, it's like the saying, "Six of one; half dozen of the other"...it's all the far west side. I just encourage people to rent for the first year. If we could go back and do that, we would not have been stuck in our house so long. At least we are not long distance landlords like several of our military friends.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:08 PM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
Quote:
You have GOT to be kidding, right? It is the WORST for graffiti and I've lived all over. All cities have it, but you have to go find it in bad areas. In SA, for some reason, it's all over - even in nice neighborhoods.
Art? That's a matter of opinion. Gang taggings were all I saw in SA.
You obviously don't travel much, least of all to the cities I mentioned. You need to get a little further out beyond your mailbox...

Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
you'll notice i never mentioned alamo ranch in my comment, that more than several posters have agreed with. You are right i would never go to alamo ranch because it has nothing, absolutely nothing that interests me. If i want to see 300k and up homes all i have to do is walk down my street and at least the ones in my area have trees, and are architecturally distinct. Btw in my hood we have a full bird army colonel, a former president of the san antonio bar association and a vice president for frost banks cr you can quit with the name dropping.
l m f a o

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
To me, it's like the saying, "Six of one; half dozen of the other"...it's all the far west side. I just encourage people to rent for the first year. If we could go back and do that, we would not have been stuck in our house so long. At least we are not long distance landlords like several of our military friends.
Regardless of anything else, I'm so sorry your experience with the area was so disappointing to you and I wish you only the best in what ever location will warm your heart that you can call home.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Two of my co workers live in AR and neither one of them are happy there but they never mention graffiti, it has to do more with traffic issues.

It is not an area that I could consider "hood rich" but that may change as more apartments pop up in that area which seems to be happening. When people get tired of AR, they will move on to the next greatest and fastest growing area of SA. If anyone remembers that the area around Lackland AFB off 410 was supposed to be one of the fastest and greatest areas of SA, take a look at the area now and that statement would surprise you. It was once filled with new homes and military families and a nice huge community pool that is now filled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio