Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:11 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Two of my co workers live in AR and neither one of them are happy there but they never mention graffiti, it has to do more with traffic issues.

It is not an area that I could consider "hood rich" but that may change as more apartments pop up in that area which seems to be happening. When people get tired of AR, they will move on to the next greatest and fastest growing area of SA. If anyone remembers that the area around Lackland AFB off 410 was supposed to be one of the fastest and greatest areas of SA, take a look at the area now and that statement would surprise you. It was once filled with new homes and military families and a nice huge community pool that is now filled in.

Do your co-workers not know the "secrets" to getting around the traffic? There are LOTS of options and once we learned them, we've had zero issues with traffic ever since. BUT, to their point, the traffic was a downside until we learned the area.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You have GOT to be kidding, right? It is the WORST for graffiti and I've lived all over. All cities have it, but you have to go find it in bad areas. In SA, for some reason, it's all over - even in nice neighborhoods.
Art? That's a matter of opinion. Gang taggings were all I saw in SA.
Maybe that’s why there are so many gated communities in SA even though the houses are mediocre (< $300k).

Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Do your co-workers not know the "secrets" to getting around the traffic? There are LOTS of options and once we learned them, we've had zero issues with traffic ever since. BUT, to their point, the traffic was a downside until we learned the area.
One has been living in the area for about 5 years and the other about 3 years so I would hope they have some idea how to navigate around AR. They still gripe about traffic from time to time though.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:18 PM

12 posts, read 14,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I think the difference is when graffiti is sprayed in Stone Oak it is cleaned that day or the next and it is still a rare occasion. I have lived in my new house off of Brook Hollow for four months and I have yet to see any tagging.
We have a friend in the Brook Hollow /281. Its very nice 'established, but old homes"

We like new home subdivisions.

We love San Antonio , nice weather and great shopping and medical . We have a Coastal home and its only couple hours away.

My original post is basically a ●WHY● question. Westover Hills home prices and businesses rival SO, but the common street areas from sidewalk large weeds to tagging to jungle medians to OVERALL APPEARANCE OUTSIDE the home subdivisions appear ghetto and trashy to relative areas like SO , not to the inner cities.

For us it is a disappointment spending 3Hk plus on a home to see filth. And yes, all above stuff is filth,,not art.

So, the issue is over for us were gone. I just want people in the 4-6HK price range to not expect semi exclusitivity in WH.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candylipsgirl View Post
We have a friend in the Brook Hollow /281. Its very nice 'established, but old homes"

We like new home subdivisions.

We love San Antonio , nice weather and great shopping and medical . We have a Coastal home and its only couple hours away.

My original post is basically a ●WHY● question. Westover Hills home prices and businesses rival SO, but the common street areas from sidewalk large weeds to tagging to jungle medians to OVERALL APPEARANCE OUTSIDE the home subdivisions appear ghetto and trashy to relative areas like SO , not to the inner cities.

For us it is a disappointment spending 3Hk plus on a home to see filth. And yes, all above stuff is filth,,not art.

So, the issue is over for us were gone. I just want people in the 4-6HK price range to not expect semi exclusitivity in WH.
I think you identified another area of concern that not a lot of people have mentioned (nor have I even considered until you mentioned it). Drive a bit south from Stone Oak and you will hit Brook Hollow, a nice area and with lots of amenities. Drive a bit south from Westover Hills and you're kind of the north"west"side of the city which has historically been neglected and lower income. Stone Oak stemmed from an area that was already nice and established, Westover Hills stemmed from cheap land and the desire to have something new and shiny (in my opinion and if I remember the history correctly of the area it was kind of a business development to start with, right?). Lessoned learned (and you know it) that you have to check all the surrounding areas before you purchase.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
I live in Stone Oak & work in Westover Hills. (Actually not that bad of a commute if I leave at the right time) I am afraid you've been a bit hoodwinked on the comparison with Stone Oak & the I-10 north of 1604 corridor. Alamo Ranch is a wonderful neighborhood, but it is close to Culebra Road, which isn't particularly beautiful or well-kept.

Driving around Westover Hills, I see all these "Westover Hills by Charles Martin Wender" signs all over the place, many covered in graffiti. It's not 70's NYC Subway-level graffiti, but it is noticeable and gives the area an air of unpleasantness. It's not going to kill you, but it ain't pretty and you don't want to see it when you're shelling out 300k or more.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think you identified another area of concern that not a lot of people have mentioned (nor have I even considered until you mentioned it). Drive a bit south from Stone Oak and you will hit Brook Hollow, a nice area and with lots of amenities. Drive a bit south from Westover Hills and you're kind of the north"west"side of the city which has historically been neglected and lower income. Stone Oak stemmed from an area that was already nice and established, Westover Hills stemmed from cheap land and the desire to have something new and shiny (in my opinion and if I remember the history correctly of the area it was kind of a business development to start with, right?). Lessoned learned (and you know it) that you have to check all the surrounding areas before you purchase.
VERY INTERESTING! GOOD INFO.

I think you nailed it.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I live in Stone Oak & work in Westover Hills. (Actually not that bad of a commute if I leave at the right time) I am afraid you've been a bit hoodwinked on the comparison with Stone Oak & the I-10 north of 1604 corridor. Alamo Ranch is a wonderful neighborhood, but it is close to Culebra Road, which isn't particularly beautiful or well-kept.

Driving around Westover Hills, I see all these "Westover Hills by Charles Martin Wender" signs all over the place, many covered in graffiti. It's not 70's NYC Subway-level graffiti, but it is noticeable and gives the area an air of unpleasantness. It's not going to kill you, but it ain't pretty and you don't want to see it when you're shelling out 300k or more.
I know ! Were leaving
This thread is good for anyone who wants to live in an exclusively clean area to know WH is NOT one- unless you want to stay inside the gates of your home community.

Because once you venture youll understand its not clean vis a vis 4-6HK areas.

Ashbeeigh analysis makes perfect sense. Home prices may not be dramatically different in WH than the I 10 - Corridor or 281/1604 , but its surrounding area are totally not equal.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:50 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times
Quote:
I know ! Were leaving
This thread is good for anyone who wants to live in an exclusively clean area to know WH is NOT one- unless you want to stay inside the gates of your home community.

Because once you venture youll understand its not clean vis a vis 4-6HK areas.

Ashbeeigh analysis makes perfect sense. Home prices may not be dramatically different in WH than the I 10 - Corridor or 281/1604 , but its surrounding area are totally not equal.
There are a lot of folks like this.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
Quote:
We live near 151 and Westover Hills , so I shop at Alamo Ranch.
Realtor said its very nice part of town, more potential than StoneOak or I 10 Corridor.

We spent over 300k. So I thought maybe since its Data Cntr and Med Cntr. Potential up and coming.

But its kind of Ghettoish. I drive on Culebra and I see ample Graffiti and Unkempt city sidewalks and medians.

Why is StoneOak so well kempt and here its on the trashy side. Prices are similar in property.
welcome to SA; where 3/4ths of the city is ghetto and in those ghettos you have 'patches of good areas' that are 'pleasant to live in with little crime' yet they are surrounded by ghettos.

bwhahahahah sorry just funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio