U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 12,607 times

Advertisements

We live near 151 and Westover Hills , so I shop at Alamo Ranch.
Realtor said its very nice part of town, more potential than StoneOak or I 10 Corridor.

We spent over 300k. So I thought maybe since its Data Cntr and Med Cntr. Potential up and coming.

But its kind of Ghettoish. I drive on Culebra and I see ample Graffiti and Unkempt city sidewalks and medians.

Why is StoneOak so well kempt and here its on the trashy side. Prices are similar in property.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM

14,627 posts, read 31,212,414 times
It seems as though I read somewhere that Stone Oak property owners pay an annual fee to help keep things looking nice. Money well-spent if you ask me. Graffiti and tagging and some of the other garbage that's common to SA is just ugly to look at and causes people to just want to give up.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 AM

Really I would pay that fee!
To whom does Stoneoak pays it?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It seems as though I read somewhere that Stone Oak property owners pay an annual fee to help keep things looking nice. Money well-spent if you ask me. Graffiti and tagging and some of the other garbage that's common to SA is just ugly to look at and causes people to just want to give up.
Had we explored a little before buying, I would NOT have agreed to live here.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,521,120 times
I think the problem is that area is full of "hood rich" people. People that grew up in the hood or ghetto got a little money and "moved up". They never left that mentality behind that they grew up in though.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM

And the weeds in the medians and on sidewalks ?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I think the problem is that area is full of "hood rich" people. People that grew up in the hood or ghetto got a little money and "moved up". They never left that mentality behind that they grew up in though.

But prices are not diff than in StoneOak? So Im not sure its just money. Theres something I cant figure it out.

I think maybe its too close to Potranco/1604 and all 410

Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 AM

5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
*shakes head* I can see where this thread is going already.

With that being said, I wasn't aware that graffiti, tagging, and "some other garbage" whatever that is, is common to San Antonio. I guess other Texas cities call it "art".

As for the overgrown weeds and such, most people don't complain about it. Until the complaints get louder, the city will procrastinate on mowing and trimming.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:29 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,728,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candylipsgirl View Post
We live near 151 and Westover Hills , so I shop at Alamo Ranch.
Realtor said its very nice part of town, more potential than StoneOak or I 10 Corridor.

We spent over 300k. So I thought maybe since its Data Cntr and Med Cntr. Potential up and coming.

But its kind of Ghettoish. I drive on Culebra and I see ample Graffiti and Unkempt city sidewalks and medians.

Why is StoneOak so well kempt and here its on the trashy side. Prices are similar in property.
This is what I have been saying all along. That entire area of town grew very fast, too fast. With all the apartments going up in that corridor, it's basically turning into the "new" west side." Of course, the mere presence of a little graffiti here and there doesn't necessarily constitute "ghetto", but it's depressing when you see a new fence or building tagged within weeks. With the percentage of renters going up rapidly, it will get worse before it gets better, as less people are vested enough in the neighborhood to even care. As one poster wrote, many people there are "hood rich", so it still looks better than where they came from. They are less likely to see it as a problem.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM

915 posts, read 1,662,194 times
I would seriously question any realtor that said, "its very nice part of town, more potential than Stone Oak or I 10 Corridor."

Potential for what? The demographics are completely different. The quality of the housing stock is completely different. The shopping and restaurant selections reflect those differences. Only 1 of the subject areas is in relatively close proximity to areas that have historically housed the poor and lower middle classes. Your realtor should be admonished for even comparing those areas. If you don't expect graffiti and overgrown grass near Alamo Ranch, you don't know this city. I have not checked, but would be willing to bet the crime rate in 1 of those areas far exceeds the other 2.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Alamo Ranch or the people that live there, but it is what it is. If I had 300k and wanted to live in the burbs, I-10 North of 1604 and Stone Oak would be at or near the top of the list. Traffic would probably have me opt for 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or