U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM

3,746 posts, read 3,849,879 times

Advertisements

The Southside has long been a neglected part of town with the exception of the Brooks Citybase area. Could things be about to change?

Quote:
A new 360-unit luxury multifamily community called MELA is being planned for South San Antonio.
"It was the worst slum in the city," Scott Weems, said of the site of his future multifamily development.

The 360-unit project will transform a run-down, high-crime area into an unrecognizable luxury complex. Driving past the site a couple of years ago, the passengers in Weem's car asked him to drive faster and get them out of the area. But Weems saw a diamond in the rough. Really rough.
360-unit MELA luxury apartments to propel South San Antonio's transformation - San Antonio Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
It's obviously going to take a lot more than one project - but it's a step in the right direction, at least!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,414,616 times
As someone who works on the south side every day, I don't really see the Riverside golf course area where these apartments will be built as being part of the Southside but what do I know?

The developer's comments made me laugh when he said that some passengers wanted him to get them out of the area quickly as if it is some war torn dangerous area.

It takes people like this developer to initiate changes like this, but I am not 100% confident this is going to work out. Look at Elian on the far north side and that was a failure.

Last edited by Azure110; 05-21-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM

342 posts, read 329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
As someone who works on the south side every day, I don't really see the Riverside golf course area where these apartments will be built as being part of the Southside but what do I know?

The developer's comments made me laugh when he said that some passengers wanted him to get them out of the area quickly as if it is some war torn dangerous area.

It takes people like this developer to initiate changes like this, but I am not 100% confident this is going to work out. Look at Elian on the far north side and that was a failure.
What exactly would you call the Riverside golf course area?

Isnt this the site of the old mobile home park that was in the news last year when they kicked out all the former residents?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,414,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
What exactly would you call the Riverside golf course area?

Isnt this the site of the old mobile home park that was in the news last year when they kicked out all the former residents?
It has more of a "outskirts of downtown" feel to me but I was just stating my own opinion. No one has to agree with it. Location-wise yeah it is the Southside.

It is the site of the old mobile home park. Progress means kicking out the poor and bringing in doggy day care and glass elevators I guess.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
This site has been part of a very long discussion - here's a good summary:

From Blighted Trailer Park to MELA Luxury Apartments

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 AM

342 posts, read 329,498 times
Quote:
It has more of a "outskirts of downtown" feel to me but I was just stating my own opinion. No one has to agree with it. Location-wise yeah it is the Southside.

It is the site of the old mobile home park. Progress means kicking out the poor and bringing in doggy day care and glass elevators I guess.
Ya but it was private property and that lived there I believe had leases for their traliors.

If a private property owner wants to elect to not renew a lease thats their perogative.

Me personally, growing up on the Southside, I have never imagined anything South of I-10 to be considered anything except the Southside.

This also coincides nicely with the UNSECO designation the Missions are going to be receiving this summer. That entire area along with the Brooks area are going to be the first southside enclaves that have been transformed. I expect it to fan out from those two areas from there, which it already is in a few places.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
My guess is you live outside downtown?

It's a matter of perspective. Most who live outside the loops see anything inside the loop as "downtown." Those who live in the urban core distinguish - downtown is DOWNTOWN (roughly bordered on the south by Cesear Chavez). Beyond that, to Hwy 90/I10 is Southtown (tho stretching that far is more recent and mainly an attempt to loop in the distant neighborhoods to the up and coming Lavaca area. The type of housing stock is very different, as is access to amenities and general style. The urban core, for example, doesn't include single family homes on .25acre lots with space for cars. Many Southtown residences do.

Beyond Hwy 90/I-10 is really Southside, but there's a cultural divide as well. It would be a huge stretch to call something so far from the Alamo as "downtown."

Quote:
Not quite. Having lived in a neighborhood that was full of crime and derelict houses and now has its share of luxury places, most in this area, including the poor who've owned their properties here for multiple generations, appreciate the positive changes. Property taxes are problematic, but in general, the changes have been positive.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM

353 posts, read 448,068 times
Mission Escondida Luxury Apartments.

If they were really going to be luxury apartments they wouldn't put "luxury" in their name.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:14 AM

905 posts, read 1,356,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
This site has been part of a very long discussion - here's a good summary:

From Blighted Trailer Park to MELA Luxury Apartments

Thanks Chaka for this article. First article is a bit false with the crime report.

I had heard that somewhere around that area CPS is building an "epicenter" that will attract international business. Sounds like it's exciting times for the southside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or