U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM

6,274 posts, read 9,034,473 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, you're so busy LOOKING for problems, you're not seeing the good stuff - and each area will have it, good AND bad. Look for community with large military presence (such as SA) - because of the wide diversity of the military, there will be a LOT more "acceptance" of people. San Antonio has over a century of military presence - and yet you STILL see a HUGE acceptance/appreciation of the military. That alone should speak volumes for the community and its' base population.

Speaking personally, we avoid "gated communities" - they tend to develop a false sense of security. As a businessman, I've been in most of them (including the Dominion), and frankly they'd be easy to get in if I were of a criminal mind - and past those gates, folks leave themselves wide open. There also SEEMS to be a "vibe" in them that I don't care for - but I'm pretty much a "live and let live" type of person, so it's likely the sense of "conformity" that bothers me.

I'd also suggest you rearrange your priorities:

1. Do you like the neighborhood?

2. Does the house fit your needs, in terms of design, budget, etc.?

3. Where are the good schools in relation to you?

4. Walk into a few stores/shops in the area you're considering - do the folks seem welcoming and open? Not just the workers, but their clients. Do they hold the door for you, do they make eye contact - do they return your greetings? THAT is the TRUE measure of a community. If a few don't "make the cut", don't condemn the rest - there's always going to be "that guy" in the crowd that's a jerk just because they don't like anyone.

5. Look inside yourself, as well - are you less than open/friendly when greeting folks? People tend to return as they receive.......

6. You continue to emphasize wanting to be around "your kind" of ethnicity.......yet you're concerned about others being racially-centric..........

Best of luck - personally, I think anywhere in the SA area would do fine for y'all - but that's a choice that YOU have to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:17 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,178,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will811 View Post
...I was wanting to know if San Antonio (perhaps the Dominion) was also this way...
...I loved the people I encountered in SA, as you all are one of the kindest, most genuine people I have met in the country--I really mean this. Moreover, I think your city is lovely and enchanting. These are all reasons I'm seriously considering a move there.
I think you answered your own question.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM

6,179 posts, read 8,653,627 times
I don't know if military automatically equals diversity in San Antonio. There are lots of areas in San Antonio where the military is not a thing and the population is very generic. FWIW, I think, growing up near 10/De Zavala I ran into 3-4 families that were military growing up. And we were a very white community. Although there is more diversity in the area now (compared to 20 years ago) it's still generally the same.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM

733 posts, read 867,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
You have got to be kidding. Elnina is right. If you can afford it, it doesn't matter. I'm not so wealthy to live in the Dominion, but not far away and our neighborhood is made up of people who are successful professionals. Our ethnicity, race, color, creed...isn't a factor in our neighborhood. You think the Dominion is populated with a bunch of racists? Get a clue. Think you will find one or two Spurs other than Matt Bonner in the Dominion and you think they have troubles with their neighbors? I'm guessing you are trolling, but if you aren't you need to really wise up. You have the cash to live there? Based on your question, I would say you don't. Any professional in San Antonio (and 99 percent of everyone else) know the answer to your question.
this guy has a thing for being segregated. dude wants to live in an area with mostly asians. race shouldnt matter. crime, i can agree with, but race/ethnicity? come on, who are you fooling...

Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 AM

556 posts, read 381,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Move on.
Wow, what a terrible attitude.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 AM

261 posts, read 254,006 times
This isnt a common question, but you are correct racial, financial, social bias does exist in all areas. Its ignorant for folks to say there would not be ANY discrimination if you can afford to live there. Rich folks sometimes even discriminate on HOW you attained your wealth.

Anyway, from the folks i know who live in the Dominion, i think you will have very little, if anything to worry about.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,326,471 times
My real estate office is right at the gates of Dominion and I've sold homes to a TON of folks in there. Folks of all races and demographics. I've not ever seen it become an issue at all. Most folks are very welcoming and those that aren't keep to themselves.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,281,171 times
I'm black and worked at the Dominion several years ago. The residents were very friendly to the guards. The only really mean one I heard about was Pastor Hagee.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,655,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm black and worked at the Dominion several years ago. The residents were very friendly to the guards. The only really mean one I heard about was Pastor Hagee.
How was he mean?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:57 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,281,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
How was he mean?
He would yell and curse at the guards whenever he was inconvenienced or didn't get his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio